1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Play Off final day comments (no bollox)

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, May 25, 2019.

1. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

You're on drugs if you think Wembley was great.

The top level was cramped and claustrophobic. They lose more money than they gain.

2. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

I sat in the middle tier - really comfortable seats and a good view. I miss the Twin Towers though.

lardiman likes this.
  3. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Wow. Still on cloud nine after that. Fantastic to win in the ninety minutes. I had a feeling we were going to Nick a late winner to bookend the season after it started with a last minute defeat at their place, and even the horrible own goal never took away my belief we could get back in and win it, though the minutes after we went behind were torrid. Big shout out to everyone connected with the playing side of the club, and especially the players who did the business yesterday. Magnificent performance from Williams, who seemed to terrify them - the fouls they gave away against him were a huge factor in the tail end of the game swinging our way. Parker again gave absolutely everything, and he can hold his head high. As can Phillips, who recovered from the howler at the start to make a magnificent save minutes later and prevent the score doubling.
    I was in the pub with a couple of decent Mackems, though they had to put up with me leaping about the place on the 94th minute, which coupled with the goal would test the patience of a saint. I wish I'd been at Wembley, but it was enough to watch us win on the box, and know we are back in the Championship next season. The ball has gone right back into RD's court now, regarding whether we make a decent fist of next season, but for this morning, all praise to BowJack and the lads. It felt as if something was trying to happen in the last few months, and thanks to a lot of hard work and graft, the dream came true.
    Allez allez allez - love it!

4. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

It is a massive relief and a huge morale booster to know we will be playing decent Championship opposition for most of next season (as well as a few weaker teams like Millwall who make up the numbers there).
    Season 2019-20 will be a real test of character for whatever squad we end up with after the summer.

For the first time in years we really have something to look forward to.

5. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

I don't do many aways these days, but next season there are some beauties. Millwall especially, but also Fulham with an old friend who is a S/T holder, Brentford with my neighbour, Forest, and possibly Massive, with FHB jnr, and QPR.

6. The Elfsborg Sparrow

Birmingham and Wednesday away will be my lot, assuming the current owner remains in charge.

7. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

As with most things you post, I disagree with it. I thought Wembley was excellent. The area around Wembley is very shabby, but was impressed with my view and seat.

8. The Elfsborg Sparrow

Were you in the top level of the ground?

9. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

I was up in the Gods. I've been up there before for concerts. The concourses get a little cramped and the prices for food are steep (£5 for popcorn), but who cares when you've paid just £30 (£15 for the lad) to see your team get promoted. Getting home was a right ****ter, though: I dragged myself through the front door at 9.30pm. The atmosphere heading back to the tube station was electric. All in all, a great day. Bring on next year's trip to Wembley...

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  10. The Elfsborg Sparrow

Agreed.

£30 was very reasonable, and the view was very good even though it would have been nicer to be a bit lower down. BUT the concourse area was as cramped as the pockets of @Royston Vasey when paying a bet.

11. CarrianCarcuss

CarrianCarcuss Active Member

I've been watch highlights a lot and I actually feel bad for Lee Catermole, when you watch the Sky Sports showing of the own goal he's 1 of 2 players who actually react negatively towards the goal, it shows a bit of class

12. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Congratulations. You deserved it yesterday and over the full season. Good luck for next season.

13. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Hi Saffy, thanks mate. Not a classic, but in the end the result was everything. Your fans were by all accounts a credit, and i wish you all the best for next season. Hopefully like our previous play off final meeting you follow us up (though obviously we'd like to be there when you arrive this time out). See you soon.

14. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

If the owner's message of congratulations was written by him I'm a Chinaman.

lardiman likes this.
  15. User deleted as requested

He can stick is message up his arse.

The Aussies can do the same.

Pathetic comments ...”did you see who was in the directors box” zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

CafcFactsStats and DickPlumb like this.
  16. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Congratulations you Addicks....I woz there with my son and grandson (season ticket holders) behind the goal......and as an Argyle supporter for over 70 yrs ...I was chuffed that ex-green Purrington got the equalizer for you.....that own goal looked like a bit of slow motion as it trundled into the net....didn't it go quiet for awhile....but Sunderland didn't look that hot and you got back into the game.....a good game of football it wasn't....but the result is what matters.

Todays Derby v Villa match might not be any better....especially with a £170 million at stake....obscene personally.

lardiman likes this.
  17. User deleted as requested

No idea why there was a large picture of Chris Parkes (Apologist No.2) on Wembley Way yesterday.

Totally, utterly underserved.

18. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Plym, whoever goes up today will probably get per day the same amount of TV money that Plymouth will get for a season <grr>

19. User deleted as requested

20. User deleted as requested

Brentford, Swansea and Luton all want to sign Jonny Williams - Twitter.

We will need to move quickly.