1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Plastics Next Up

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Hilts24, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

How do u cope with the pathetic local losers who "support" the franchise that is LFC.

Never been to a game in their lives. Cant stand talking football with them. Not proper fans.

Really hope there arent any in the pub Saturday.

2. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Real Liverpool fans can’t go unless they can afford it.

I recall, when I was living in Chester for 12 months in 1985 going to Anfield, OT, Maine Rd & Goodison 2-3 times each and never paid more than £3 to stand in their respective home sections and believe me there were plenty of empty spaces. Could park within 15 minutes & never had to buy a ticket in advance.

Oh BTW City were in Div 4, and I went to see them when I could- particularly recall a 1-0 win at Wolves but 3 Cup defeats (FA, League & Welsh) at Stoke, Shrewsbury and Wrexham respectively.

One of the most exciting games I saw then was Chester play Port Vale plus also Wrexham lose to some Spanish team in the Cup Winners Cup.

3. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

Nin, the Shrewsbury league cup game, was that the year we lost 1-0 at Gay Meadow with a late goal from them and with it all kicking off on the terrace and in the main stand afterwards?

If so, that was my first ever away match with the City....

4. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

Oh and sorry Hilts... totally get your comments about plastic Scousers and Mancs etc.... if you have no proper ties to a club it's ridiculous to claim any sort of support for them.

It's like the egg chasing "fans" that only support Wales.... don't have a bloody clue and just have an excuse for a day out etc. Pathetic!

Hilts24 and DaiJones like this.
  5. ninian opinion

We lost yes and if memory serves me right for a 4th div team they did well to get to that stage ....loads of City fans were late coming in on the train special. Whatever happened to away day special trains<confused>

I was in the home end surrounded by farmers <whistle>

6. whiffletree

whiffletree Well-Known Member

How do you define a proper fan?

Hate the term 'plastics'...is one fan more welcome at a match than somebody who goes less often?

Think its a tad elitist to 'rank' how genuine a fan is by how often he attends. , and it is not for anyone to judge whether or not they deserve to go.

What about somebody who likes to watch live football by a team that plays in an attacking, attractive way, without actually supporting any team.

If I went to Spain, I would want to go and watch Barcelona or Real, and I have no connection with either. Whats' wrong with that.

Also it could be argued that the Cardiff City fans are not true football fans anyway, considering the drivel we have had to put up with over the years (sometimes obviously), surely a true football fan would want to watch the best games regardless of tribal loyalties?

Not being argumentative or anything but I just think that people go to games for different reasons and nobody should be able to judge whether or not they deserve to go or not. Just saying, like.

FrankfurterBlue likes this.
  7. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Was driving back from Scotland on Saturday listening to Savage on 606. Some guy calling in accused him of not being a real football fan because he'd been a player and didn't pay to watch games. Savage went ballistic. Really funny, especially as the guy was calling in commenting on a game that 'his team' had played in. He hadn't even been there which added fuel to the fire with savage pointing out that from 7-14 he'd watched Wrexham home and away. Savage was still going on about it half hour after the game had ended.

As for me, followed cardiff since I was a kid. Had season tickets for a few seasons but rarely get to attend these days. Should be at Gooderson in a few weeks and a neighbour has his company tickets for United as last game so I'll see the city a couple times. Not around on the weekend but missing out as I was offered a ticket for the Liverpool game.

As for who you support. It's always been easy for me. The nearest team to where you live.
    Watched Porth as a kid as the ground was only 200 yards from the house. As for major teams. Pontypridd in the rugby, Cardiff in the footy and Glamorgan in the cricket.
    I get people supporting teams no where near where they live as parents supported a club. I can see people following a club because they like the way they play. It's the glory seekers that I don't get. Especially when they switch allegiance. I followed the Celtic warriors when Welsh regions were formed. When they folded I couldn't bring myself to align with any of the remaining 4. Still don't.
    Hey ho. We're all different.

Oldsparkey likes this.
  8. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You can choose to follow and watch good football if that's your bag, but you can't replace the emotion involved with "your" club - and that's the good and the bad.

Born and raised in Bridgend midway between Cardiff and Swansea, I suppose I had a choice of either club to attach myself to. The factor that decided it was my uncle Jim lived near the Culverhouse in Cardiff and was a living and breathing Bluebirds nut.

My dad used to go with him and I got hauled along one day in the mid 60's - I was probably about 7 or 8 at the time and that was it. Initially on the old wooden bench seats in the Canton and then standing in the Grandstand enclosures as I got more involved. Teenage years saw me ditch the chaperones and move to the Grange and Bobbank with the rest of the riffraff <laugh>.

Lived away from home through further education and work through much of the 70's and 80's and couldn't get home a lot. Watched an awful lot of football up and down the country during that time and enjoyed it, but nothing comes close emotionally to supporting the Bluebirds.

If others choose a different path then so be it, but I can't really understand what they get out of it deep down inside.

9. ccfcremotesupport

Posh. Sitting in the canton stand.
    Being riff raff, the Bob bank was my staple, but my dad would 'upgrade' us to the canton stand for cup games.

Thinking about it, being a football fan and being a supporter could be 2 different things. Sparkey, you obviously have the club you support running through your veins, but given you'd watch teams you had no affiliation with during your exile shows your fanaticism for the game.

Oldsparkey likes this.
  10. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Remote - as a teenager living away from home I palled up with fellow apprentices who were locals - later it was workmates who took me under ther wings. Firstly as a youngster at Stafford and SW3, it was Port Vale and Chelsea.

Bobbed around the country a bit with short term contract work for a while and watched various clubs. Later it was Hull for nearly 3 years in the 80's and I found the guys I worked with up there smashing. If it wasn't Boothferry Park on a Saturday (and it was Saturday then!!), it was mostly on the road to Roker and Ayresome for our fixes - we even went to Elland Road a few times.......:emoticon-0119-puke: <laugh>

Loved the game since those early days and it hasn't diminished one bit. I've done the travelling bit though and am now content to watch City home games though I really do enjoy good football on the box but without the emotional attachment. Don't know if you watched it, but the Derby/Sheff Utd game last week was a brilliant advert for Championship football.

11. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

I agree with Hilts, loads of people in the Rhondda in Liverpool or Manure shirts never been to a game you can call them armchair supporters or plastics, I've got nothing good to say of them. :steam:

Hilts24 likes this.
  12. ninian opinion

I even went to the Wretch Field a few times to see some football if City weren’t playing. Mind you they were in the 4th division then whilst we were in the 2nd and there was no real rivalry between the 2 clubs which came later.

Also went to see Bristol City several times when I lived in Bristol mid 70’s but they were then in Div 1 so half of me was there to see some top quality footballers from the big clubs.

Also recall some trips to Newport in late 70’s.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  13. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

I bet they are the most vocal on egg international days with the anti English bollox. Try and point out their hypocrisy and they dont get it.

Best to just avoid football talk with them

Spain have El Classico

Man U v Liverpool is called El Plastico for good reason.

DaiJones likes this.
  14. DaiJones

I used to visit Somerton Park in mid-week when Newport were playing and Cardiff was not, my memory is not as good as it used to be but I think they played on a Tuesday and we played on a Wednesday. Could have been the other way around mind.

15. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

As an Australian who lives in Thailand, I guess I am a plastic Cardiff supporter. I visited there over 20 years ago and watched about 4 games. Anyway, I am a happy plastic at the moment ;)

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  16. ccfcremotesupport

If you chose Cardiff to be your team 20 years ago, no one could accuse you of glory seeking blue.<laugh>

Blue Sheep and suprimir like this.
  17. ninian opinion

Do Tranmere still play on Friday nights<whistle>

DaiJones likes this.
  18. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

Born in Neath but taken by my cousin (from Wick) in mid-60s to see Cardiff and always supported them since. However, I have also supported Liverpool from the time we sold them Toshack and have strong interests in a variety of teams due to moves with jobs. This includes Burton Albion, Leicester, Stoke (but not strongly since I worked in the ****hole for three years), Nottingham and have a weak spot for Wycombe and Dover Athletic after short visits that have included football games. I support Trebanos, Neath and Ospreys in rugby and Ynysygerwn and Glamorgan for cricket...…..what a bunch of lost causes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And that has included CCFC for a lot of my life.

19. DaiJones

Only if Everton are home on Saturday <whistle>

20. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

Typically, this is game that Liverpool would lose or draw after beating the big boys....but this year, they are grinding out wins against everyone.

whiffletree likes this.