1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pitch conditions

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by sotonsaint, Feb 5, 2012.

1. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

I'm sorry if some has already said this. But I wouldn't let my 2 year old girl play in those conditions tonight.

The thing that annoys me more than anything else though. Tonight was a big game for both clubs. But if that was United v Chelsea, it would of been called off. Fergie would of made sure of it!

2. farehamsaint1

farehamsaint1 Member

Was at the game and disagree I'm afraid. Thought the pitch was just playable with the ball just running OK as the players got used to giving the ball a firmer touch. Importantly, conditions didn't noticably worsen. However, am suprised the lines weren't painted blue before the game bearing in mind the forecast as no-one could see them as the game wore on

Also it meant over 1,500 saints supporters didn't have a wasted journey including from a financial point of view <ok>

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Thought initially it should be stopped when everyone was struggling for control and lumping the ball forward, but it settled down after that. In the first half we were better and really trying to get our passing game going. The players were keeping their feet, so not overly difficult. Televized games do tend to go ahead. look at the Man City game played under similar conditions. Glad it's behind us with a point gained. We have now got a point off two in form teams (and should have got three off Cardiff) so we are still playing well...just need to start scoring again (which I'm sure we will with our strike force).

4. saintadam1981

saintadam1981 Active Member

Thought it was ok! i was there and like the post above i'd of been gutted to get all the way there for it to be called off! would of lost travel money and would have another game to fit in.Very happy with a point which i would of been if it was normal conditions.

5. BassettSaint

BassettSaint Active Member

It was absolutely fine. Be happy with the point!

6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It was fine - a good point gained as well.

7. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

One thing that came to mind was how well the players kept their feet and balance, in most situations. I expected to see players slipping around all over the place, but poor visibility apart, I thought they did quite well - both teams..!

8. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Derby v Forest is off due to safety concerns - BBC will be mightily pissed off

9. farehamsaint1

farehamsaint1 Member

Yeah they will be...apparently nothing wrong with the pitch and concourses though, postponed due to the state of the roads

10. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Doesn't surprise me. Not only has the snow stopped play nationwide, Forest's owner has just died so it may be best for everyone to not play today. Like us with MK Dons.

11. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good point

12. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

I bet the rest of the country would be amazed to see that we are completely snow free here, that's the benefit of living darn sarf! Hope Billy Sharp appreciates the benefits......

13. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Yes but these are grown men not little girls, although some behave like one......

14. TheSecondStain

I won my snow free fiver. My dear old Mum phoned me and said to come and collect it. I've let her off. It was too much like taking candy from a baby.

15. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Worth bearing in mind that the patch of grass your two year old runs around in probably doesn't have a full-time team of groundsmen and undersoil heating. The surface was dusted but they can avoid the pitches becoming frozen which is the real reason that games will be called off. On the other hand, if I was at Birmingham I would have been tempted to stick two fingers up at Sky and move it back to a 3pm, it would have been a travesty if it was playable at 3 but called off at 5.20.

16. bristolsaint

bristolsaint Member

I was finding myself starting to agree wth sotonsaint until I realised I don't have a 2 year old daughter. Whoops

17. TheSecondStain

Quite an easy thing to agree with, don't you think..? I wouldn't let a two year old daughter out on a football pitch in broad summer and warm daylight, with 21 other burly adult footballers around, waiting to find the merest weakness in her play..! ;)

I think the analogy would have been slightly more appropriate, if sotonsaint had mentioned equipping the players with skis, or skiing gear, or american football gear, etc... I think you get the idea. ;)

18. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

A 2 yr old would be good at dribbling.

19. TheSecondStain

If you're good enough, you're old enough, as the saying goes. ;)