1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pick your starting 11

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by SuffolkCanary, Jul 27, 2018.

1. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

We used to have two Marshalls in the same side in 1999

2. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

We went through a Bennett phase more recently too

3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Krul
    Marshall Godfrey Hanley Stieperman
    Thompson Trybull
    Mclean Hernandez Buendia
    Pukki
    I'd prefer not to risk starting with Rhodes and I'd rather Husband was on the bench at most!!!!

4. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

I think I am most happy about the fact that we can’t really look at the squad and see a glaring area of weakness! This must be the first time we could say that for a good few years!

JM Fan and RiverEndRick like this.
  5. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

That's one of the things that has impressed me about this window. Also that we got new players in so quickly so they had a full pre-season.

6. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

I agree with you on every position except LB. It's not Stieperman's best position and I don't have faith in Husband, so I would be happy with three-at-the-back until Jamal returns.

JM Fan likes this.
  7. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

But can you say we have any area of great strength? You could make an argument for several areas, but they mainly involves some sizable ifs.
    If Krul can recapture his best form?
    ditto Rhodes?
    can Pukki, Lietner, Beinada, Godfrey and any other newbies adjust to the championship?
    Can this bunch move the ball quicker?
    Can we defend? Whilst keeping some sort of attacking threat?
    Has Farke learnt How to play in the championship? If he starts with Trybull as our only DM first game, I would contend that he hasn't.
    Can Lewis continue to improve?
    Can he keep the squad happy? e.g. Would Lietner be happy warming the bench at Nowich if his tepid early form continues? if subs continue to only get 38 seconds to make an impression, might that create tension in those not getting game time? What if we are stuck with NO?

Bah!

RiverEndRick likes this.
  8. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Great post General and as I said in an earlier post #morequestionsthananswers
    I do believe that we will move the ball quicker, as a lot of our play last season was through JM, which often slowed play down, allowing opposition decedees time to regroup.
    Hernandez I feel could become a key player and from what I've read from the Archant hacks, McLean looks very useful.
    I'm HOPEFUL that Rhodes can discover his form and that we MIGHT see subs coming on before the last 15 minutes.
    We'll have a better idea in approximately 500 minutes from now (08.28!!!).

RiverEndRick likes this.
  9. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Having strength in depth also means having no obvious weaknesses. That in itself lends balance to the squad. The key question is whether Rhodes, Leitner, Trybull and Krul can consistently get back to their best and can Pukki and Buendia transfer foreign success to here.

Preseason indications are good but the next four games will tell us more. Hernandez seems a much improved player, Marshall improves us at RB as well as being a good crosser. The key is how it all fits together and how quickly we can get the ball forward. My glass is at least half full.