1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Peterborough United v Sunderland - Monday 22nd April - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Apr 20, 2019.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Apr 22, 2019.
  1. Home win

8.3%
  2. Away win

75.0%
  3. Draw

16.7%
  1. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

I hope he's only joking, thats how I take him, that or insane :)

2. Squint Eye

Squint Eye Active Member

I'm just a ****, sorry.

3. Squint Eye

Squint Eye Active Member

Everyone is wise after an event. He could have yes, but may be he decided that he should cover some other avenue that may have (in his opinion more likely than the one actually happened) resulted into unwanted equaliser.

4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Fascinating insight.

5. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

Good point, his decision making was poor too.

Hefty fullback likes this.
  6. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

It is what it is at the moment but we have to keep going. If we don't get up automatically then we go for the playoffs. This is Sunderland we support and at the best....it's never been f*cking easy. Keep the faith and no faint hearts and we will get there lads :)

Makemstine Roger and Gil T Azell like this.
  7. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

It's the hope that kills you, along with the many 1-1 draws, still the fat lady isn't finished singing and there will be another twist before the season finishes.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  8. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Seems a lot blame Ross for not surfing it up yesterday. They all seem to know that Riss told the defence to allow Posh to score. Also they know that he should’ve changed it at 1-3 against Coventry (even though it was back to 3-3 by hit. Not the managers doing though, that was just lucky)

Guess Monty is in that group

Gil T Azell and cumbrianmackem like this.
  9. safcyellowbelly

safcyellowbelly Well-Known Member

Match report from my Dad (81 yr old - first game he's seen us live at for a good few years)

"Bloody typical Sun`land that - we should have/could have but we didn`t"

He thought Wyke did well holding the ball up, the midfield was too interested in going sideways and none of them fancied a shot from anywhere except from 10 yards out (until Power scored obviously) the full-backs were OK and the centre halves would not have survived a fortnight in front of The Clock Stand...

I think he might be Monty (they`d certainly get along!).

From my perspective...

I had another great day out, just a **** result. We live nearby so knew a few of the P`borough supporters and had a chat with them both before and after - they were all hugely impressed by the support we took, agreed they were lucky and that we deserved the win - just didn`t get it.

I have to say I love the Charlie Wyke song (with the Spanish bits!) - the song is better than the player!

Also a huge "THANK YOU" to whoever the bloke was that picked up my son`s phone which he`d left under his seat, answered it when we rang it and stood and waited whilst we caught up with him so we could collect it. I was still in an arse of a mood with yellowbelly junior for leaving his phone when I met up with the bloke and didn`t really say a big enough thank you to him - if anyone knows who it was please pass on my gratitude - as ever with the world of SAFC - some really decent people doing the right thing...

See you all for the Portsmouth game

10. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

People who are blaming Ross or our defence are forgetting the period of 5th January to 15th of Feb - where maja had left, both Grigg and Wyke were struggling for form and Leadbitter wasn't yet influence the games as much as he would the following ones. We drew 7 games in that period, scoring 7 goals.
    In that same period Luton scored 17 goals, Barnsley scored 19!

Makemstine Roger and Dorset like this.

11. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Roker Report suggesting that the switch to 442 allowed Peterborough more space and led to bigger gaps between our back 4 and the midfield contributing to the equaliser.

12. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Bad result but a great day out.

Went on the train so we could drink, met up with Charlie Methven in a Peterborough pub and the support in the ground was top class.

Up on Saturday and hoping it's the start of three wins, if we beat them I think that's on.

Didn't want to have to go to Southend but looks like I'll have to now.

Gil T Azell and LAMackem like this.
  13. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

It's been referred to on other threads as to how well, above normal, the top teams of league 1 are faring this year.
    Here's a few stats.
    1) Over the last 6 years the average number of losses for the top 4 were
    Champions 6.8 Second 9.2 3rd 9.5 4th 12.3
    This year (current positions)
    Champions 5 Second 6 3rd 7 4th 3

2) The total combined losses for the top 4 were 47 31 34 41 38 36
    This year (a few games to play) 21

3) Including this year , 7 seasons x 4teams is 27 others after us who have had a top 4 position.
    The lowest no. of defeats is 5 ( 2 times both as champions) then 6 ( 3 times, 2x champions, 1x 2nd)
    Then 2x7 2x8 3x9 with the rest double figures up to 15

4) Average draws ---- champions 11.2 2nd 11.7 3rd 12.5 4th 10.2
    Highest no of draws 16(1) 15(1) 14(2) 13(1) 12(4)

Just some statistical evidence that we've hit on a season where more teams than usual have done well. In terms of defeats, we're out on top, but of course, our draws are the worst. If we don't go up, well mathematically some of those draws have cost us, but of course they wouldn't be the sole reason. Not forgetting that some draws we see as points lost, but some were probably points gained.

My apologies to those who find stats and figures boring or a non conclusive waste of time, but hey , it's filled in a bit of my time while I've been waiting.

14. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

I don't blame Ross for anything, our ship was sinking SO fast, he steadied it , give him another year what ever happens, then judge him, his only mistake is our central defenders.
    He knows the strength of this league now, no Loovrens, etc, KTF...we will still go up.

15. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

IF we fail to go up this season I think Jack will piss the league next season if he manages to keep the nucleus of this squad. Add better CH's and a really combative midfielder and we'll be good to go.
    Considering it's his first season in English football and the state the squad was in, he's done a fantastic job for us.
    Yes it would be disappointing, but just hope the fans stay with him.

16. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I actually dread to think what would happen to this team if we went up even with new recruits another year down won't do us any harm unless he as a bundle to spend and we don't end up with has beens from other teams.

17. The Norton Cat

Jack Ross has done a very good job this season but that does not make him above criticism. He got his tactics wrong against Coventry- the fact that we still managed to score 3 times in that game shows that we should be capable of winning games like that. His change of formation against Peterborough appears also to have been a mistake. The centre backs have taken plenty of criticism but playing 442 against teams packing the centre of midfield has left them exposed.

Jack TheLad likes this.
  18. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

See I watched the Peterborough game and thought we looked completely comfortable until we scored. We then sat on it. They didn’t look like scoring second half until we scored. I don’t blame Ross for that, I blame the players!

19. The Norton Cat

Well, you may be right, but before the changes we were overloading down the flanks, nullifying their main attacking threat, and were comfortably in control of possession. After changing to 442, we had less control of the game and only just shaded possession. The defending wasn't great for their goal, but if we'd had more players in central midfield, we might have controlled possession better, preventing them from creating that chance and, even if they had, someone shielding the back four would have been in position to help out the centre backs and clear that knock down.

20. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

If we don't go up this season (repeating myself), the main reason will be the run of 7 games (5 one all draws, 1 two all draw) from the beginning of Jan where we simply did not score enough. 7 goals in 7 games while our main competition scored 17 and 19. If we had scored just 3 more goals, we would be in the top 2 now.

Portsmouth have a worse defensive record than us, but guess what, they have scored more goals than us!!

Putting all the blame on our defence, which is the 3rd best (by stats) in the league is crazy. In the entire season there have only been 7 games where we have conceded more than one goal. (losing 3, drawing 3 and winning one). Two of those that we lost, one we were down to 10 men at Portsmouth after 47 minutes and one was the Coventry freak show (a one off game of madness).

Blaming the defence is easy (and partly valid, more clean sheets would mean more points), but it's way too simplistic. The squad rebuild, losing our top scorer early in the window, not getting a replacement in quick enough, said replacement not being fully fit when he arrived, Wyke only hitting form at the end part of the season, Luton and Barnsley incredible (and unexpected) run of form, serious injuries (Watmore, Maguire)...

Anyone blaming Ross needs their head looking at. A few mistakes, but overall an incredible job all considered.