1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Peterborough United v Sunderland - Monday 22nd April - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Apr 20, 2019.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Apr 22, 2019.
  1. Home win

8.3%
  2. Away win

75.0%
  3. Draw

16.7%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland travel to Peterborough United in League One
    PUFCvSAFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland beat Doncaster and Peterborough drew with Fleetwood.
    Sunderland bounced back with a much needed victory and a clean sheet after going into the game with Doncaster knowing that promotion rivals Barnsley and Portsmouth had both won their games.
    Sunderland moved back into third place, two points off Barnsley to keep up the pace in the League One promotion race. Charlie Wyke led the line in a new-look 4-2-3-1 with Jack Ross making four changes, including dropping Will Grigg and both of his centre backs. Wyke was suffering from a migraine and illness prior to kick-off, but shrugged it off to produce a stellar performance.
    Peterborough manager Darren Ferguson was left cursing a "bad result" after seeing his side's play-off hopes hit by a last-gasp equaliser at Fleetwood in a match watched by his father Sir Alex Ferguson.
    While Ferguson junior was left to rue a missed opportunity for his promotion chasing side, who also saw a penalty saved, Fleetwood first-team coach Clint Hill said that the 1-1 draw felt like a victory.
    Peterborough forward Marcus Maddison saw his 19th-minute penalty saved by Alex Cairns, but made up for it by putting Posh ahead in the 64th minute at Highbury.
    Jack Ross:
    “He (Wyke) wasn’t feeling great before the game, he had a migraine and was sick in the changing room, so I didn’t think he would play to be honest.
    “We had Kaz Sterling going out warming up, we thought we may have to make that change.
    “He started to feel better. Naturally towards the end of the game he tired, I was delighted that he produced that level of performance on the back of not feeling that great.
    “He has shown what he thought he would do, he gives us something different.”
    “He is capable of leading the line, he has had to adjust to that role, it has been stop start for him physically, but he started to make a contribution from the bench and then started games”
    “He (McGeady) is playing through the absolute pain barrier at the moment. To get close to 70 minutes from him is a lot, we will see how he is for Monday.
    “He is sore but wants to keep playing and contributing. He trained minimal on Thursday, to tick over for the game. He won’t lose anything fitness wise from it, but it is testament to his character that he wants to be on the pitch and do a job.”
    Darren Ferguson:
    "It is what it is. That is why we are not in the play-offs, because of things like that. We need to concentrate for 90 minutes. We know the young lad has a long throw, the ball goes out of play, the centre-half got told to leave it. No communication. Just a bit of composure.”
    "We were in no danger, then a chance. It is a big disappointment and a bad result for us. We had to win today. We felt we could and we should have done."
    “Sunderland is a big game and it is one that we are looking forward too. We know that we have to win the remaining four fixtures if we are going to sneak into the top six. We have to keep going to the end. It was disappointing to concede a goal in stoppage time in the manner we did on Friday, but we have trained over the weekend and we will make changes.”
    Form.GIF
    Prutton predicts: Meh
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    ANTONY COGGINS
    Assistants: Anthony Da Costa and Daniel Cook
    Fourth Official: Michael George

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    McLaughlan, O’Nien, Dunne, Ozturk, Oviedo, Power, Cattermole, Honeyman, Morgan, Wyke, McGeady
    Team.gif
    Subs: Ruiter, Flanagan, Baldwin, Gooch, Leadbitter, Maguire, Grigg
    Injured: Love, Watmore, Matthews, James

Peterborough United: Chapman, Naismith, Woodyard, Tafazolli, Demeble, Reid, Bennett, Toney, Lafferty, Maddison, Tomlin
    Subs: O'Mally, Knight, Godden, Stevens, Cooke, Cooper, Denton
    Injured: White

Betting Odds:
    Home
    12/5 Away 21/20 Draw 12/5

My two pence:
    After a great home win against Doncaster, hopefully we can put on a similar display and keep another clean sheet. If we keep Marcus Maddison quiet we should be fine.
    My guess is a squeaky 1-0 away win

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  2. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

I am expecting SAFC to win 1-3.
    I am hoping we win 0-5.
    I will take a nervy, scrappy 0-1.

LAMackem and RTB like this.
  3. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Just bag 3 points, whichever way we can

Sunderlad, LAMackem, RTB and 2 others like this.
  4. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Away win all day long 2-0 to the lads.........come on this is our destiny this season.

5. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

My bum will be squeaking!!! Hopefully 0-2 again to the lads!!

Bart

LAMackem, RTB and Sunderpitt like this.
  6. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Win

LAMackem and RTB like this.
  7. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

I will be there roaring the lads on..

8. safcyellowbelly

safcyellowbelly Well-Known Member

I’m going as well - we live nearby and able to take my 81 yr old Dad to his first game in years. The two yellowbelly juniors will be there to...

9. Sunderpitt

Is it on SAFCSee?

10. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

my head says a draw my heart says a 3-0 win for the lads,

LAMackem and Gil T Azell like this.

11. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Its a must win, like just about every game this season, thanks to the clubs around us, who seem to think they are as entitled as we are to success, the bounders. Three might be enough but four has to be the aim. <ok>

12. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

That’s the problem , keep thinking that surely we can allow fir one loss , but you just can’t see the others blowing any of their games to compensate . As you say, right set of rotters they all are .

Makemstine Roger, Gil T Azell and RTB like this.
  13. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Is there actually more pressure on Peterborough than there is SAFC? We have a play off place worst case scenario. Peterborough do not.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  14. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

No it doesn't look like it is available to UK supporters. :emoticon-0101-sadsm

15. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

This could be just like the old days ... Easter weekend, big away turnout and mass celebrations at the end.

Going on the train so we can drink all the way home <laugh>

16. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Dorset likes this.
  17. Sunderpitt

O bum...or words to that effect...I may play golf then

18. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

The fleetwood game will be available though. tribes in the Borneo rain forrest can watch the Peterboro game but we can't tut tut. shame they cannot beam the southend game back to the SOL either, surely we could do a deal with SKY and Southend. I would pay £20 to watch what could be a massive match, unless they will show us ? going to car boot at Seaham (massive by the way 12.30 start) while taping the Pompey game then get back and watch it without knowing the score ! remember the likely lads and the England game hehe. 1-2 to the lads.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  19. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Why don't you move there... give us all a rest :emoticon-0172-mooni

20. GaryClark

GaryClark Well-Known Member

Coventry beating Portsmouth hope it lasts

Sunderpitt likes this.