1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Peterborough (home) 21/08/2018

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Ken Shabby, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Well, as the well oiled machine that is Charlton Athletic suffers another systems failure behind the scenes as it emerges they may be about to be sued by their own workforce, the players have another home match to contend with.
    On paper, this should be an away banker, as Peterborough have hit the ground running this season, while we have had problems simply getting enough recognised players to fill the sarting line up plus bench. Ajose Will no doubt be sat on the bench again, though I can't imagine the circumstances that would persuade Bowyer to bring him on as they appear to be poles apart. Te good news this week is that some of our injuries appear to be returning to training soon, but for tonight, Bowyer Will again be forced to put out whatever he has that can walk unaided. Still, Charlton have recently turned out a few 'against the form book' results when we have all given up. I'll go for a 2-1 defeat in front of a near empty Valley, but here's hoping we seal the defence and nick a late winner.

2. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

On way back from The Valley having picked up my back issue of progs.

A shocking attendance awaits unless there has been a mountain of late arrivals.

S*** programme with no difference in layout and articles.

Attached Files:

3. Holden Chinaski

Holden Chinaski Well-Known Member

3 - 3 draw

Ken Shabby likes this.
  4. chaperonek9

chaperonek9 Active Member

Suggest you take more water with it next time.....!! Charlton will not score tonight

5. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Gallant display by Charlton holding out for 89 minutes against the mighty Peterborough.

6. Crack Addick

Crack Addick Active Member

All hail Roland, who doesn't do failure!

7. Minxy

Minxy Just Me
    Staff Member

Cracking games lads .... both teams going for it ..... we were incredibly lucky to come away with the 3 points .... sounds like a draw would have been a fair result

Good luck for future games

8. Ken Shabby

That seemed very unfair to be honest. We were better tan expected and made a real game of it, and by the accounts of the Peterborough commentary the penalti decisions at the end were wrong. But we failed to get our usual 1-0 lead so their solitary goal gave them three points. The way it goes at the minute. Thanks for the comments Minxy and good luck for the rest of the season.

9. Whats up Doc

Whats up Doc Well-Known Member

Yeh very harsh on us, last 20 especially we looked decent, Ajose in particular, I’m sure he’ll start on Saturday and go back to being sh!te though. Ref was dire, Steve Evans is still a fat cvnt

10. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

The fast, tricky and very cute Peterborough. I can see why they win a lot of games.
    A combination of speed, good movement, admirable skills and the kind of cleverness which is so effective but so maddening when you are on the wrong end of it, especially when the referee lets it go virtually unchecked.

I'm proud of the effort and commitment our players put in last night. Lee Bowyer could not have asked for more in terms of sheer guts and determination.
    I hope he did not go way too far regarding the referee. We need him on the touch-line.

11. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Cheers @Minxy

Your manager is a twat though - amazed someone hasn’t given him a right hander before now .

12. User deleted as requested

Bowyer needs to move heaven & earth now to get 3-4 players in. If he’s allowed.
    Otherwise it’s clearly going to be a season of struggle at the bottom.

13. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

Apologies in advance as I am going to sound like SeriouslyRidiculous by comparing results over two seasons:headbang:

After the turnaround of our season by beating Shrewsbury and Portsmouth in a week, it would appear Bowyer needs to change his tactics.

Our lack of goals is very worrying.

14. Ken Shabby

It's a bit of both I fear. We seem to lack creativity in the middle as a sort of club identity for a while - our forwards may not be the best, but the service they often recieve simply makes their job harder.

As for Bow, he's got limited resources, but while he's obviously a work in progress, he makes strange decisions. The one not to bring on any subs at Sunderland until the injury forced his hand was poor. Against Shrewsbury, he showed he can make a really intelligent game change. Then last night, out of nowhere, forgotten man Ajose comes on, and by all accounts plays very well. So why has he been ignored all this time?

I don't see any real need to judge our manager right now. He's a new guy on the job, in stupidly hard circumstances. He has managed to instill a sense of belief and unity in our team, which was badly needed. We'll need a bit more than that to go up (or even come close - you don't win leagues through simple graft and running) but that will have to wait unless we suddenly dive into the loan market again.

15. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

went last night. our biggest problem is the creativity in midfield. i'd say LB is wrong in saying he only needs one midfielder. we need 2 or 3 better ones than we have. pratley and aribo are ok. only just. the little fella was out of his depth and needs a older player to guide him. our strikers have all been charltonised - good before they came to us (for other clubs or u23's) and then blunt when they get a game for us.

we never really looked like winning. would have been harsh if we did. a draw would have been a fair result i think. LB was right in what he said about the ref after the game - he clearly didnt like our strikers.

atmosphere was alright. i took a photo last night. was only about 4000-5000 there (not 9000 odd). lots of Roland out chants though. i think the protests need to be ramped up, or aimed at RM for any sort of effect.

16. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

Surely that can't be right as Charlton fans are seen to have a dig when we have 3 times as many watching <whistle>

17. User deleted as requested

Your maths are even worse than Diane Abbott's TC :emoticon-0148-yes:

You had 10,000 Millwall fans in the ground for the Derby game.

18. TC (Lovely Geezer)

4,000 at the valley last night - 750 of those were Peterborough - so 3,250 x 3 = ??? <laugh>

19. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Weren't there any Derby fans at your game then TC ?

Whats up Doc likes this.
  20. TC (Lovely Geezer)

Yes mate - They were given 2,000 tickets, but didn't sell out so were allowed pay on the day - probably 1200 of them there <ok>