1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Peterborough game

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Zenfootball2, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

so town seem incapable of getting a win and when we do score equally incapable of defending it.
    in the form table town are bottom and Peterborough are 19th they have five points out of a possible fifteen and town have three points out of a possible fifteen.

i cant see Ricketts changing his route one football and reading his post match interview after the last game ,he is in a minority with such views of a game which is just as concerning as our dire form.

it seems that Laurent Docherty and Hayes are fit, i hope he plays sears instead of Bolton and plays Waterfal instead of Saddler both of them and Beckles have been error prone but only Waterfall has been scoring goals.

we need a win but we have been needing some of them since Ricketts took charge and so far we have only had one in the league.

it is hard not to be resigned to league two football next season.

2. Zenfootball2

3. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

I agree, Zen. If we see much more of these performances then the crowd will be baying for the manager's blood and we could end up with three manager this season. Having said that I feel strangely optimistic that we will get something from the Peterborough game. However, if we do have two defeats in the next few days then surely the writing will be on the wall and we will presumably put the caretakers in charge again for the rest of the season. As you say, it is difficult to see us winning many games until the end of the season but stranger things ( like Leicester winning the Premier League comfortably) have happened in football.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don't know whether you chaps look at the points gained versus points left to get stuff but I have been doing that for a few rounds lately. I reckon this season will require a moderate total to stay in league 1. Something in the region of 48 points perhaps and I'm basing that on the points already gained against the games left to play. There are something like 8 teams who still need around 5 wins to achieve that total. That is basically one third of their remaining games. I don't think all 8 will achieve that. Obviously there are combinations of wins/draws but in essence it needs 15 more points as a minimum. I have to say that is a big ask for some of the teams so your's needs to start getting them soon. I would add that my club are not out of the woods yet either and could easily slip into the mix but we do need less wins than 5 to achieve the points tally I'm guessing at. I can't remember a season in any league we have been in that the mix of clubs in the mire are that many.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  5. Zenfootball2

6. Zenfootball2

"I can't remember a season in any league we have been in that the mix of clubs in the mire are that many."

as you say a number of the bottom teams have struggled but the teams who are in the bottom has been fairly fluid, not long ago Plymouth loked dead and buried , whilst they are not out of the woods they are just stringing the odd win with a number of draws which has been enough to see them climb out. currently Walsall and Rochdale have had a slump , the problem for us is( apart from the FA Cup ) that town have been consistently poor under Rickets and have slide down the table with only one win just drawing is not enough.

one thing that is different this season is the number of poor teams , despite were town are in the league town have not been out played very often Luton and Wycombe are the ones who spring to mind for me.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

On the BBC football site last night there was a prediction article where you could predict a win lose or draw for teams and at the end of it, depending on the results you thought there would be, it gave a final tally of points for the bottom half of the table. The 4th bottom club or last relegation place when I had finished had 40 points. I tried to be objective with my predictions based on current form and league position against the opposition in any one match. That of course does not allow for anyone coming into form or going out of form. I did think 40 was pushing it a bit but I was quite surprised at the outcome. It did reinforce my original belief though that 48 points would be enough. The gap between the top few clubs and the rest is quite stark this season. Having seen most at the top I am surprised the gap is there because a few of them I thought were poorish for their position. I'm not sure the standard of league one this season is any great shakes at all.

8. Zenfootball2

i felt last season there was a clear gap in quality with a few standout teams (some had big budgets) and a i felt the quality of many teams was higher, so i agree "I'm not sure the standard of league one this season is any great shakes at all" i think it is very poor.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I find this budget thing quite amusing really and anyone who doesn't think it makes a difference is deluded. Luton have an owner prepared to spend. Portsmouth have a bigger budget than the vast majority even if they would have you believe they haven't. Barnsley are not poor by anyone's standards. Sunderland still had parachute payments this season and when you sell players for £14m you cannot claim to have an ordinary budget on top of crowds of 38000. They would also have you believe it isn't as big as you would think. In a poor season standards wise it is clear by the top positions currently that money does talk. Nobody else much is out performing their budgets now so hence the league as it is. Several of those clubs though should be out of sight by now and they aren't that far ahead of the bunch for the money spent. I think you just have to see out this weird season without mishap and hope next season is a better one.

10. greenhousmeadowman

The budgets certainly helped Wigan and Blackburn last year - they had a number of players who were well above League 1 level - if we had been able to afford one of them on loan (like Armstrong) we could well have gone up automatically. Still, that is the world we live in and teams like Accrington have shown its possible to outperform the budget if you have the right manager in place. Unfortunately we have not had that this season despite having two tries at it and, unless we see a big improvement soon, we will be one of the four teams who will go down. That would be disappointing but not a total disaster if the club restructures well, as it has done in the past, and is able to bounce back quickly. Whether Ricketts is the right manager to do this is another question and not one that can be answered positively on what we have seen so far.

11. Zenfootball2

when i heard Ricketts was going to be the manager i felt it was a priority htat we have appoint an experienced assistant that is a falling on the people who appointed him. .
    every game we lose or draw or fail to hold on a lead are all games that have cost us under Ricketts. we cant afford to keep doing that can we scrap some results to stay up only time will tell, personally i dont feel very optimistic just hope he can.

12. Zenfootball2

it has been a weird season but as you say some big spending clubs are not pulling up any trees, sometimes clubs who nearly get promoted but fail at the last hurdle have a poor season the following year and sometimes they slide down the league. just hope we can scrape enough results to stay up.

13. Zenfootball2

14. Zenfootball2

Arnold
    Williams
    Beckles
    Waterfall
    Norburn
    Whalley
    Grant
    Campbell
    Amadi Holloway
    Laurent
    Golbourne

Subs:
    Mitchell
    Sears
    Bolton
    Okenabihrie
    Sadler
    Payne
    Docherty

at hte end of the game we will be either saying wow unusual but inspired and it worked or he has not got a clue

15. Zenfootball2

the words that kept cropping up from the radio commentators in first 25 minutes "town are struggling and they look lopsided". it sounded like our main threat was coming from whalley
    when you are facing one of the best free kickers in the league it is suicidal to give away soft free kicks, town switch off 1-0 ,letting your opponents have four free headers and you are going to get punished.

all credit to waterfall in his contributions as beckles header leads to ivan tony handling a straight red card , a well taken penalty by Norburn, this changed the complexion of the first half ,it sounded like an amazing goal by Campbell following some quick thinking by Whalley

Ferguson will use the half time to reorganise the team, who scores next could be crucial.

town started the second half in control ,the home crowd virtually silenced and then Norburn gets sent off and whole complexion of the games changes , town park the bus and with a defence who are prone to switching off and leaking like a sieve buck the odds and hold on. Arnold drops hte ball but manages to recover and make a save ,Grant shoot smashes the post
    town's first win since December the 22nd. last twenty minutes seems to take for ever
    laurent,Waterfall, Campbell and Grant did a great job today .

dont know what to make of playing norburn and williams out of position

16. greenhousmeadowman

Cannot understand the radio commentary - we were always in control of midfield and their first goal was against the run of play (and yet another soft one from a dead ball situation). Great strike from Campbell and we should have had more - Grant's shot looked to be going in. Norburn's rash challenge for the second booking brought them back into the game but we managed to see the game out with very few alarms. Great character from the lads to come back from an early setback and to hold onto the lead. We looked much more a team today and there were fewer individual mistakes - more of the same on Tuesday night please.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Maybe it's not as dark before the dawn as you think after all.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  18. Zenfootball2

i am a pessimistic ! but we do have a glimmer of hope ,when you hear we have not won since December 22nd it is a bit shocking .

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

What you are is a football supporter and nearly all football supporters are a pessimist. It goes with the territory. Some are so far up their own rear end and think in reality that their club is "entitled" to be in a promotion race. They though are a lot fewer than the likes of you and me. Trust me, 48 points is the target and even less might still do the trick this time.

20. Zenfootball2

that is kind of you as you say it goes with the territory ,equally many are detached from reality .you only have to see what is happening to Coventry as to the consequences of a club been taken over by someone who does not live and breath the club . i know many fans who will support the team through the highs and lows of a club, perhaps we need a sanity check ?