1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Peterborough game

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by greenhousmeadowman, Oct 28, 2017.

1. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

A rather frantic and bad-tempered game which was pretty even on the whole though we can have few complaints about losing our unbeaten record as we created very few clear-cut chances. It took a wonder goal to beat us and , after Godfrey's initial misjudgement it was Henderson's poor positioning that did for us as it is difficult to see why he should be well off his line when the ball is thirty yards out on the wing. Having said that he kept us in it with some smart saves at the end when we were pushing up and getting caught on the break and I have never seen a keeper trying as hard to score (and cross from the wing) as he did in extra time..
    Some credit must go to the opposition as they have a touch of class upfront and their midfielders never let ours settle with Godfrey in particular struggling to keep possession (I knew that song was tempting fate) and Nolan only really influencing the game late on. The disrupted defence was actually pretty good with Riley doing OK and Beckles in particular looking assured alongside the colossus Tote.
    You cannot accuse Hurst of not having a go as we ended up playing a 2-2-6 formation at the end but unfortunately both our wide men had a poor day with their crossing. We may not be the Invincibles but this is still the best team we have had in many years. I was very pleased to see the lads applauded so loudly at the end for their efforts. We are still top and are more than competitive in this league and I think we have a decent chance of promotion.

Matster likes this.
  2. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A tough game that had our defense beaten by an unbeatable shot!

Let's hope momentum continues over the next few games. Hopefully the cup games coming up give Hurst a chance to play around with the defense and give them time to settle.