1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Peterborough (a) - MOTM

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Mar 9, 2021.

1. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

Honeyman - what can anyone say about Saint George? Last season at times he looked like a headless chicken, but I now think that was due to his then midfield partners, and him trying to make up for them! Alfie and Doc are giving him free rein to do exactly what he’s brilliant at, and I honestly feel that as that midfield trio mature they’ll be a match for any team in the Championship next season.

Burke - he’s starting to look more and more dangerous at set pieces, and his goal on Tuesday was the clear beginning of the tide turning, it was a brilliant free kick but someone still needed to be on the end of it.

Ingram - made a couple of outstanding saves to keep the pressure on Posh, and, as has been said before, we look sooooo much more defensively sound with him in goal, it can’t possibly just be coincidence!

UTT

2. CANADATIGER

CANADATIGER Well-Known Member

Completely agree with all that LBA. I was a big fan of the Honeymonster even last season when his mid-field support was far weaker and voted for him every week in the MOTM trio. But this year Docherty with his boundless energy has freed up George to do what he does best - constantly get in the face of the opposition, and make probing passes. And his set pieces are, along with Elders, by far the best in the Division, as reflected in our 18 goal total from these.

Burke, in addition to being the rock of our back-4, has become increasingly dangerous in getting on the end of our set pieces, and is pulling away defenders from their coverages, leaving KLP wide open on several occasions. Lets hope Greaves can begin to join him in finding the net from our set pieces.

I voted for Ingram in my MOTM trio against Peterborough and was surprised he did not get more votes. He made two saves which were absolutely top-class which prevented the score being tied, and his agility and calming presence puts him well ahead of Long as our first choice Keeper.

With players such as these three and several others we have a squad which I believe can hold its own in the Championship if we achieve promotion this year which is looking increasingly possible. Elder is very underrated but makes a huge contribution both at the back and with his ability, like Robertson before him, to make runs into the top third and put in dangerous crosses and set pieces. Young Greaves is a future star, as noticed by the scouts, but is a work in progress. Docherty has been a revelation with his non-stop energy. Alfie Jones is making the holding midfielder role his own, KLP ditto Greaves, and Magennis like Elder is also underrated IMO.

We are still short a mobile goal-scoring Striker and a back up holding midfielder.

I still have real concerns about McCann as a potential Championship Manager, but he has got the current squad working well together and our Away points/goals record is impressive. I dont expect the Allams to make any changes this year but a more experienced Manager may be necessary next year depending on our starting record if we go up. Overall though the future is looking brighter. UTT !!!

3. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

I wonder what our stats are like for goals from set pieces? Anyone? :emoticon-0138-think:emoticon-0112-wonde