1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pedro: Chelsea agree deal for Barcelona winger

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by luvgonzo, Aug 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I agree that a player may take a season to show his best form but he has shown nothing at all to justify anywhere near the money spent.

It's a tricky situation but do we keep playing a player who is struggling so much in the hope he may become that good player in time - all the while to the detriment of the team, other players, performances?

I think there comes a point where if you're an experienced pro and international that has cost a small fortune, you have to be expected to put in a certain level of performance from the start.

2. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Yeah it is a tricky one for sure.
    If he even showed glimpses of potential, despite being ****, like say Di Maria did for United last season, then I could understand keeping him.
    But he has showed nothing every chance he has gotten.
    Still, it does feel wrong dumping a player after only half a season, which is why I don't mind so much if we keep him, on the proviso that he learns to adapt to the PL's pace and puts on some muscle.

3. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

I'd rather see us let go of the players who have not given us anything for a season or. So for me, that's Mikel, who has given us what he could, and Rambo, who just hasn't come on at all. Oscar must be under the microscope too, he needs to put together a string of good games as hes dissapointed too often. I understand that we need replacements who are potentially better before we let them go, otherwise we risk being totally undermanned.
    Moses is one I would like to see get a chance ,he looked really good on loan.

4. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Well everyones excuse with Oscar was that he hadn't had a break from playing in like, a gazillion years, so now he has had a couple of months off, I will expect him to come into his own this season. Though again, I have my doubts that will happen if we play him next to Matic, just dont think he is suited for that role.

5. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

Of course, and at the top it should be cut throat. However judging a player joining a team who are flying in the league already halfway through a season must be tricky. He couldn't really break through and get regular game time. So far there's no doubt about it he's been ****e, but I'll reserve full judgement till the end of the season.

6. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Cuadrado's stock is still pretty high in Italy, so now may be the time to get a good deal if Juve are interested in a swap for a certain midfielder ;)

StanDMan likes this.
  7. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

If there's an opportunity to get him with Cuadrado involved then of course we should snap it up. I'm just saying we should keep him for one more season if we're not going to make profit or receive a good enough offer. It's not as if we're in desperate need of cash!

8. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why people have wrongly jumped to the conclusion that Chelsea have stolen Pedro from under our noses, we had decided against signing him probably because of how well Memphis and Mata have started the season, who play in his position. So buying a younger player in Mane who could be used as a back up makes more sense. Pedros moving to play, he's not moving to sit on the bench again.

I'm also kind of glad we're going for a younger player, as pacey wingers are usually getting towards the end of there peak by the time they hit 28-30, so I think we may well have dodged a bullet here :biggrin:

9. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I'm not sure why you have jumped to the conclusion we haven't. Only a few people really know for sure and I guarantee you're not one of them!!

Drogs likes this.
  10. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

Mata isn't a pacey winger.

11. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Indeed.
    It is entirely possible that Woodward went over there, the negotiations weren't great, and Mourinho called them and they decided to go with Chelsea.
    It's just as plausible that Woodward went over there, the negotiations went to ****, and United ended their interest, so they called Mourinho and offered him to Chelsea.

The fact that Woodward went over there means that United wanted him, thats undeniable, whether it was they or Pedro or his agent who got cold feet is unknown, and to be honest, doesn't really ****ing matter.

12. chelsea - over 100 years of history

It's just funny how so many United fans are now taking it as gospel that United just pulled out of a deal.

It's a lot more plausible that they pulled out knowing he was choosing to come to us. Funny how the Mane bid came to light so soon after as well. Very convenient.

13. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

hehe of course, no one turns down United, except for the **** ton of people who have :)

14. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

We released a statement saying we weren't pursuing our interest, before you guys showed an interest. We probably didn't feel he was worth meeting the release clause. Pedro had even said about his desire to join us to his Barcelona team mates, so I don't think it was a case of him not wanting to join.

It came off the back off Memphis's great display the other night, so chances are LVG has realised we do t need him.

Didn't say he was pacey, I said Pedro was. Pedro relies more on pace than Mata does to be effective. :biggrin:

15. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

You said he plays in Mata's position, which he doesn't. He is a winger.

16. chelsea - over 100 years of history

United would have known via his agent, the player himself or Barca that we were interested long before that statement came out. Perhaps they already knew the player was choosing us and decided to release the statement to save face.

A lot more believable than to send your chief exec to Barcelona to do a deal and then just back out for no reason other than LVG changed his mind? Behave.

Personally I don't really care as we have secured a very good player for sensible money that improves our squad. All the while United play the transfer market like a computer game.

17. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

18. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

19. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

Do you actually think Mourinho signed Willian just so you lot couldn't?

20. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

No. But in the quote he said he didn't go for other people's targets. Given we had already given him a medical, I think it is safe to say he was one of our targets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.