1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pearson Responds to Murphy Comment.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Aug 19, 2022.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City manager hits back at Danny Murphy as he responds to club's 'worrying' penalty stat
    The talkSPORT pundit claimed Pearson is in "victim mode" after criticising the standard of refereeing

Nigel Pearson has fired back at talkSPORT pundit Danny Murphy by suggesting his opinion doesn't hold much weight because he hasn't experienced management.

The former Liverpool midfielder claimed Pearson was in "victim mode" after the City manager admitted he has considered retirement from the game over the standard of officiating in the Championship.

City have already been on the receiving end of a handful of dubious decisions including in the season opener against Hull City which ultimately led to a letter of apology from the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) explaining how the referee got three key penalty decisions wrong. One of those errors was to award Benjamin Tetteh a first-half penalty while City had two turned down.

Port Vale have the next highest average with 2,760 minutes per penalty while the average across the four divisions is just 964 minutes. It magnifies the huge disparity between City and the rest of the football pyramid.

In January, the CIES Football Observatory detailed how the Robins rank last of more than 600 teams across 31 European domestic leagues for penalties awarded from the start of the 2018/19 season. Since that study was published the Robins haven't won a single spot-kick.

Their most recent was Chris Martin's penalty in the 3-2 defeat against Coventry on November 6, 2021, and should arguably have had three already this campaign including against Luton when Rob Atkinson had one turned away after clearly being tripped.

"I can't explain it and it's not for me to explain," Pearson said when asked whether he was aware of the statistics. "We'll give them (the PGMOL) the opportunity of looking into it themselves. At the moment my focus is not on stuff like that, although I've been interested in reading people's opinions.

"I came in for some criticism from people, or a person, that doesn't have any gravitas on his opinion on football management.

"When I speak after a game, it's based on what I feel. People have got their own opinions and they are entitled to them.

"I don't know what other people will say. Somebody had mentioned me being in victim mode. I think we are victims. The football club is a victim of inequality. I can't explain the statistics but it's worrying.

Pezz
    I have scaled up the data for all 92 EFL clubs to give a more accurate representation of the data. Manchester City have the lowest minutes per penalty ratio at one penalty every 360 minutes, whilst Port Vale are closest to Bristol City's 7830 minutes with only one every 2760.

please log in to view this image

"We want fairness and consistency. It's what everybody in sports want. That's a huge part of the ethos of sport. There has to be a set of rules which apply to everybody and unfortunately, we have been on the receiving end of many dubious decisions. It has a cumulative effect and I don't think it's healthy for the game.

"I've spoken to the people that I need to speak to about it and I've heard other people's opinions on what they think about what I say and quite frankly I'm not bothered."

Pearson reiterated the calls for officials to be helped in the Championship in the form of technology. The manager has previously called for officials to be mic'd up so they can be held accountable for their decisions while questioning why VAR has not been implemented in the second tier.

"There's almost a dismissive element of the Championship and it's all about the Premier League," he added. "But the Championship is the way into the Premier League and I think we need the support mechanisms certainly for the referees and officials to help them get it right.

"Technology is there to assist and to minimalise the risk of mistakes. I think that's what it should be about and there has to be an element of accountability too. There's a lot at stake and we have professional referees and they should be supported by technology. With that of course comes the accountability because there is so much at stake."

Former Premier League referee Mark Halsey was in agreement with Pearson's comments and told Bristol Live the standard of officiating have been gradually declining year-on-year.
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-murphy-penalty-stat-7486918

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Agree with Nige on this it has been a joke the standards of refs over the last couple of seasons.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  3. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I thought the same, what experience is Murphy drawing on? , he’s never been in management, it’s easy for him to sit in his comfy studio and criticise things he’s never experienced, or been on the end of. Muppet!!

4. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Having had many years of refereeing under my belt I do tend to side with the officials and the way in which they are treated by fans and managers alike. With that background it does irk me to admit that the standard of officiating in the Championship is way below an acceptable level and it needs to be addressed as soon as possible. The Championship is the gateway to the best league in the world, bar none, and so all teams deserve a very high level of consistency in the officiating but as far as I can see Bristol City get short shrift in the decision making on the pitch. The goal line technology is the only help given and it's time, given the monies at stake, for full VAR to be implemented in the second tier in order for all teams vying for the Premier to know that nobody gets preferential treatment, or in our case fall off the radar when it comes down to the correct call. Is the league or the teams involved prepared to up the ante to provide a level playing field for those like us who seem to get their fair share of missed calls?

5. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

The thing with VAR to sort these things out is; that it's still subjective; it's another person with another view on what is and isn't a penalty. Great for the PGMOL to admit they got it wrong, but what if the ref from the Hull game was working the VAR, and the on-field ref didn't give it, he can then overrule with VAR? I was always under the impression VAR was only to be used for clear and obvious errors, yet it has been seen to be used so many times to overturn decisions that to me, and most people, don't fall into that criteria.
    VAR works perfectly for nonsubjective decisions such as offisde, handball, deliberate foul, off-the-ball incidents, ball out of play etc.

I get the argument that Murphy has never managed, but he did play at the highest level, including for his country; therefore, he is qualified to pass comment in my eyes. Just because it's against our manager doesn't make it wrong.

6. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Supcon72

He's played.
    It's completely different to managing.

7. Supcon72

It is, but in the context of having poor decisions go against you, it's not that different for the player or manager.

8. Redprintt

Totally disagree.

Playing - it's turning up, crossing a white line, playing your best and where shall we go on holiday.

Managing - It's all encompassing.
    Contracts, Media, Tactics, Fans and most importantly being held responsible for results and the wellbeing of all employees at the club. The stress involved cannot be underestimated.

So when after a game a manager says something with feeling I totally get it.
    I fully understand his position.

Those who've played and not managed do not have a clue - other than technical details of the 90 minutes. Thats all they're qualified to comment on.

9. Supcon72

Fair points.

Redprintt likes this.
  10. wings-of-a-crow

wings-of-a-crow Well-Known Member

never played at any real level,but played over 100 games on hackney marshes pub football at centre half, and you certainly learnt when to shut up and back off whether from an oppo or the ref,.really not that difficult

11. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

THATS one of the reasons I have no interest in what pundits have to say... actually highlights my reasoning ... never been in management [ I didnt actually consider that aspect! ]

12. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree RP - so Warnock has been the good guy all these years??
    (I actually think he IS a good guy btw)

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  13. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

He seems like a nice guy outside football, I think much of his Tom foolery is to draw attention to him, rather than the team. He plays the fool well, but I don’t think he is one.

14. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Instead of whiining about referees Mr Pearson should focus on his team and his performance. Mr Pearson has been here for a signifiicant period of time and we should be seeing now signs of real improvement.

Supcon72 likes this.
  15. Supcon72

I 100% agree with this. Yes, we have had some tough luck so far this season, but crying like a baby dies nothing. Get the team on the training ground and get them performing. Maybe some work on their diving, so it easier for the ref to give us a Pen, are we too honest?

16. Redprintt

After a brief interview your comment is cheap and frankly ridiculous.

realred1952 likes this.
  17. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

I’ve always been a believer in “what goes round comes round” but it’s quite obvious to anyone from these stats that that isn’t the case as far as Bristol City is concerned!

For whatever reason there is a significant imbalance to the detriment of our team and I believe that NP, as the mouthpiece of the club, has every right to highlight it.

Danny Murphy has every right to his opinion; in my opinion, as others have said, he has never been a manager, so can never talk with credence about the position of one.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  18. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

We all have a right to our own opinion but how it is presented is the key to success. When you start to go way over the top then it will create issues and backlash.

19. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

I don’t think he has gone way over the top. Even if he has, what’s the backlash going to be? A penalty every 100 games instead of the present 87!

20. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

NP sounded like a bit of a twat. Disappointing.