1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Paul Pogba

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Style

Style 'where is the love'

Personally don't really care what we pay for anyone as long as the club can afford it.

And as Christian said he improves the team, hopefully he can crack on this season and show everyone what he can do.

2. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That was pretty much my point - yes it was a world record transfer fee, but only because the big clubs who can and do buy world record players had been so quiet in the market. Since Bale moved the only big names us, Real and Barca bought were Di Maria, Rodriguez and Suarez. First two were good but not brilliant players and Suarez was damaged goods bought from a club without the power to resist the bid.

Given how rich the club, and football in general, has become, as soon as we went in for a high profile player playing at a top club it was going to break the transfer record. Mourinho didn't set out to buy a world record player, he set out to buy the CM we needed for the long term, and the fact we are the richest club in the world with the money to burn meant it would be a world record transfer.

Same as PSG with Neymar, and Barca with Coutinho or Dembele for £100m plus. They aren't 'worth' that much if you make direct comparisons with other players, but the money in the game is going up so fast that the concept of 'worth' is very relative.

Either way, if Pogba contributes to a genuine title challenge this season and in the future he will be a good buy, the world record fee is largely irrelevant to that. Same as Berbatov imo - he wasn't 'worth' the amount we paid for him in terms of his performances, but he made a vital contribution to winning the title in 2009 and 2011 and therefore it was a good purchase.

3. thefanwithnoname

thefanwithnoname Well-Known Member

Pogba hasn't been as bad as people make out, or could see past the fee

4. theevilreddevil

theevilreddevil Well-Known Member

I think people were so desperate for Pogba to failed they called him a flop after 10 minutes and they never stopped and they never will, he's just getting all the blame if the team do bad like Rooney used. It's just the way it is when you have a player the bitter haters are jealous of

5. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

He won't get blamed if he plays well. He will get blamed if he plays badly. It's pretty much that simple, though he's an easier target for all the emojis, hairstyles, dabbing etc.

6. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

The important point is the win. I couldn't care less if he has a 'bad' game if united win 3-0. He could have as many such bad games if at the end we win the title. It is about United wnning not Pogba proving his worth.

7. Bwood_Ranger

I don't think anyone would disagree, but it's a thread about Pogba.

8. thefanwithnoname

thefanwithnoname Well-Known Member

He hasn't been as people make out IMO

Individually he has been decent but team.hasn't functioned. I was reading somewhere he could have had 57 Goals and assists (or something like that) had people finished the chances he created

9. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

It's not though, it's a thread where people come and say Pogba is a flop and slap themselves on the back.

Truth is, is he though? A European and domestic trophy in his season where he beds in. Not bad. Room for improvement definitely but we and he will no doubt take that. Definitely not a flop.

He's **** in the same way people used to call Michael Carrick **** before the penny finally dropped.

10. Bwood_Ranger

Different sort of player but I take the point. Carrick was a bit of a marmite player- personally I liked him and wish he'd had more of a chance for England rather than the Gerrard/Lampard bollocks.

It's piss-taking of the same sort you'd expect on any Matth thread. I think everyone knows the bloke can play really, but I think it's fair to say he personally under-performed last season regardless of the trophies won (good) or position you finished (crap). Lots of mediocre players have had great careers on paper if you go by trophies won and some great players have won little. Currently he's neither mediocre nor great, but has, IMO, not been at the level he should have been thus far, taking all the factors of being a new player, price tag etc. into account.

11. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Like I said, room for improvement.

I was a critical as anyone last season but I took into account very few players hit the ground running in their first season, I expect big things this season and onwards.

Him being here before helped him settle but he'd never played the premier league and that takes some adapting to. The odd sub appearance won't make a difference.

If he's **** this season then yeah, he's flopped.

12. Former England manager Fabio Capello says Juventus got themselves a great deal in selling Pogba to United as he "makes the difference in Italy, but not in England or on international duty". (Express)

You boys can't be too happy about Capello ripping the piss so casually, here?

13. Matth_2014

Matth_2014 Well-Known Member

HIAG, Pogba walks into your midfield.

14. Bwood_Ranger

He walks everywhere. That’s the problem. When he runs he’s quite good.

DerekTheMole and BobbyD like this.
  15. Yeah, but we already have midfielders who can run, Matth.

16. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Nah, he stays on his feet too much to suit the Spuds

17. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

You lost or something boy?

18. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

What a great World Cup Paul Pogba has had. Helped France establish control when it was need, covered every blade of Grass in many matches, is able to pass, short, long, run at defenders, tackle and tonight scored a good goal. I feel in this tournament he has come of age and must in the Best World XI for many pundits who comment on the game. Now if Mourinho can get out of him what Deschamps has just done. Alternatively, get Deschamps if Mourinho flops.

19. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Proved beyond a shadow of doubt he is world class. But haters gonna hate <whistle>

20. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I am not a Manchester United fan BUT if Pogba plays like the way he has for France I will give your club due merit.

PS: Get your club to put in a massive bid for Griezmann. His running off the ball is just terrific. Imagine a United with Pogba and Griezmann!!!! I used to think Kane would have suited United but Griezmann is just different class.