1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Passions, Hobbies and Interests

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by TheCasual, Feb 12, 2018.

1. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Still don’t know it <laugh>

2. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

Got recommended to stay in Hotel Club there by our local Co-op travel rep, great home cooked food and great location to see Naples, Vesuvius, Pompeii etc. (Sorrento is 10 mins by train, but as you say stupidly busy). Capri and Amalfi (also very busy) worth a visit too

bum_chinned_crab likes this.
  3. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

What is hilarious is watching the Italians driving on their scooters. Have seen a family of four, all on one scooter with mobile phones in hand but all wearing crash helmets of the wrong size. Crossing the road is terrifying too, there doesnt seem to be any rules at zebra crossings at all.

4. bum_chinned_crab

Aye did all that but we used to walk to Sorrento, think it was about half an hour from memory. Poistano is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been, the view when you arrive by sea is ridiculous.

5. modnrock

modnrock Active Member

Bit late but.. Classic scootering, trekking hills n mountains. Wild camping on aforementioned or just in local woods, cooking outdoors and practicing being a tightwad.

6. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

....oh and poker

7. Chilton's Hundreds

Chilton's Hundreds Well-Known Member

How apt for Valentine's Day

Mr Hatem and dennisboothstash like this.
  8. Oregon Tiger

Oregon Tiger Well-Known Member

I was in Naples last week with her ladyship for her birthday. She is studying Roman history and wanted to visit Pompeii and Ercolano/Herculaneum.

I see what everyone says about the poverty in Naples. The place is basically falling to pieces and is probably only held together by the graffiti that adorns every wall (even the Cathedral). The locals were really friendly and helpful. It looked dodgy but I didn't feel at all uncomfortable or threatened.

The food and wine were brilliant and cheap. The local Aglianico and Lachryma Christi wines are well worth seeking out.

We went to see the Napoli/Lazio game while were there. This was 1st vs 3rd in Serie A. The ground was half empty so I felt quite at home.

Howden Tigress and Newland Tiger like this.
  9. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

If you get pickpocketed and they steal your phone the most likely outcome would be them having a whip round between them to help you get one from this century!

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.
  10. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

I've been to Stromboli , just on a day trip though , it's very nice but what is there to do there for a week ?

11. Jimmy Graham's bald head

Jimmy Graham's bald head Well-Known Member

Any other runners on here?

And if so can you recommend any off-road races - half marathon / marathon / ultramarathon?

12. TheCasual

TheCasual Well-Known Member

I'll send you a PM. I don't want to cause a riot :emoticon-0137-clapp

Leon T Trout AFC likes this.
  13. southerntiger

southerntiger Well-Known Member

I have stayed there too.
    I always tell everone the best bit about the holiday was the restaurant close to our hotel which did the best spag vongole we have ever had and other seafood and very cheap.
    It slso seemed to act as a takeaway for the locals for pizzas or chicken and chips. They had a spit full of chickens roasting all night long.

14. southerntiger

We did the walk a couple of times but used the train a lot when we found out if you a some tickets from the tabaconists you got a locals price which half the cost of normal tickets.
    We used them as well for getting to Pompeii and heracul.

15. bum_chinned_crab

It wasn’t Ciao Toto was it? That was right near my hotel, very unassuming but genuinely some of the best food I have ever eaten. Better than Black Swan at Olstead (voted World’s Best last year) and it cost about €30 with much wine.

I’ve just looked on Tripadvisor and it seems everyone either had a fantastic experience or an awful one.

southerntiger likes this.
  16. southerntiger

Cannot remember the name but it was definitely unassuming so much so, we almost did not go in. In the end we went about 5 times in a 10 day holiday. Much better than some of the over priced Sorrento restaurants.

bum_chinned_crab likes this.
  17. southerntiger

Just cannot beleive the amount of graffiti in that area particularly on trains and stations. I had a bad experience on the train to Naples when some Italian kids got on and proceeded to "decorate" their end of the carriage. The train was almost full with mainly locals but nobody dared to say anything to them.

18. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

The Circumvesuviana train is subject to a lot of crime and passengers are constantly bothered by beggars. It also has no air-conditioning and gets ridiculously hot in the summer. It is nearly always crowded and they appear to make up the timetable as they go along. The rolling stock is old and poorly maintained and the whole system is woefully understaffed.

On the plus side, it's cheap as chips.

19. Cambstiger

Cambstiger Well-Known Member

That'll never catch on as something people like to do...

20. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Just thought I would put up a bit from a blog I do for my kids weekly, just to give you a flavour for life out here.

Well, it’s been a busy week for the folk of Vietnam, Chinese New Year is upon us, and they certainly throw themselves into it with gusto. It seems a big tradition that they adorn their houses outside with flowers, and close to where I have living there is many growers bring to sell their wares. I have followed tradition and bought some to put outside the house, not to feel out of the situation.
    Went into Cao Lahn last night, which was an experience, I have never seen so many Motor Bikes both on the road and parked up, most going to see the activities the local government puts on in the central park. There isn’t much in the way of a driving code here, generally, you drive on the right, but many just drive on any side of the road that is convenient for where they want to go. However, they seem to have an unwritten way of just working to the theory that you just avoid each other. At road junctions, there doesn’t seem to be a right of way, just every man for himself.
    Tonight (Thursday) is apparently at midnight a large firework display to welcome in the New Year, so I am being taken to see that, so looks as if it is going to be a late night.
    upload_2018-2-15_12-18-22.png
    Amazing what they can put on their Motor Bikes.
    upload_2018-2-15_12-21-59.png
    Bikes as far as the eye can see.
    upload_2018-2-15_12-27-15.png
    My mode of transport, when in Vietnam do as the Vietnamese do.

Des Head, southerntiger, Plum and 3 others like this.