1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Parenting Dilemma...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by safcyellowbelly, May 17, 2019.

1. safcyellowbelly

safcyellowbelly Well-Known Member

I bloody hate this football club as it`s caused me to face a real issue...

There are 2 yellowbelly juniors - one lad (12) and one girl (14).

The lad is football mad and since the last Wembley trip his life long devotion to Sunderland is confirmed - we just had the best of times and he`s not shut up about it since.

My daughter though pays lip-service to being a supporter - her passion is swimming (and she`s good at it - trains 6 days a week; 5.30am starts on two days before school, 7.00am on a Saturday - total of about 17 hours per week training...).

The way that competitive swimming works is that there are some competitions (e.g. county and regional championships) that you need to swim an event within a certain time and you qualify for the event at the competition - for national championships though you need to post one of the fastest 24 times in the event in your age group in Britain within a given window...it doesn`t matter how quick/slow you swim provided you are one of the top 24 times...

That means that there are always a load of competitions throughout the window and that the final weekend is chaos...

The window closes at the end of May and the Yellowbelly tribe is currently due to be at a swimming event in Cardiff whilst daughter swims at a competition to try and secure her place at nationals...she is currently ranked in 5 events

So do I break his heart by not going to Wembley (when will we next get there???) or her heart by not being there to support her (and not being able to either celebrate with her or mop up the tears if she misses out)...

Bloody Sunderland....

2. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

You have to take your daughter to the swimming competition pal. She's trained all year for this and is clearly in with a big chance of getting to the nationals.

Your lad is old enough to go with others if a ticket/trustworthy group can be sourced for him. Failing that, there will be another final for your young lad to attend.

3. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

This

4. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

When you think they used to play football finals in Cardiff ! Sunday 26th May 3pm is the date and time like. It is a tough choice for you to make i hope both end successfully.

5. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

Have to agree with this! It’s the right thing to do. Go celebrate your daughters achievements. They’ll be worth more to you/the family than Sunderland winning promotion!

Makemstine Roger and Saf like this.
  6. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Follow your kids mate. You will regret it in years to come.

My lad is 10 now and he likes football, supports Sunderland, but not interested in playing. He is playing basketball now which is becoming quite good at. We watched it last night, he was a bit rough on the couch and I was stood up for the full 96 mins. Anyway, this morning he comes out with 'that was quite boring last night dad'. Bloody hell son, you havn't experienced 35 years of good times, bad times, stress, heartache etc etc like me. Bloody great game!!

J๏E.. likes this.
  7. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

swimming!

J๏E.. likes this.
  8. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Having done a bit of competetive swimming in my youth
    I would ask:
    Is she going to miss you being there?
    At a gala I was so nervous / focused to notice anyone in the crowd.
    Does the local swimming club not organise a coach trip?

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  9. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I'd go and support my daughter with it being a long term endeavour and something she's earned herself, more important imo. I wouldn't be saying that if it was the FA cup final but it's only the league one playoff.

We'll be back at Wembley with this manager and ownership team.

10. safcyellowbelly

Thanks guys - I know where I should be - in the bloody shed making a time travel machine!

RTB - no coach - there`s only 3 or 4 kids from the club at the necessary level for the Cardiff competition...I doubt if she`d miss me when she`s there (certainly not when she`s in the water) - it`s much more about being there to celebrate/commiserate with her

Cardiff it is - we always lose when I go to Wembley anyway...

11. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

This...just taking her down there will mean a lot to her (or it certainly should) for a long time. If she notices you when swimming, she must be bloody good!

Makemstine Roger and J๏E.. like this.
  12. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

I think you need to go to the swimming
    Like it’s been said she has trained for this
    Sunderland will have to take the back burner this time

Good luck

13. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

I'd be at Wembley and disowning my daughter <laugh>. What an absolute dilemma. I dont envy you one bit having to make that decision.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  14. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Yep I agree with this...

15. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

when younger i played water polo and swam for the army, through tournaments i was picked to play polo and swim for England, i travelled all across England and the continent playing either for the Army or England. Being very young i was in a Junior Leaders Regiment R.E. and was posted in Dover, my family were not there to support me on my triumphs, especially when we lifted the Polo european championship. Or my silver for England swimming, However the camaraderie of the swimming team and polo team , was such that they were not missed, I suggest you take your lad to Wembley on an experience he will never forget, and let the mother accompany the girl on her swimming exploits, Both should then be happy, as they are old enough to appreciate the needs of each other.

16. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

17. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

You do realise that they’re all just saying swimming as that will mean 2 less people trying to get Wembley tickets?

<whistle>

RTB likes this.
  18. safcyellowbelly

So...I’m just back from Sheffield where she has been swimming at Regional Championships this weekend.

Decision made - a number of great swims (2 x silver medals) and a couple of rubbish ones!! To see her both upset and elated at different times means I’m off to Cardiff... I have to say as well that as much as I love Sunderland - I couldn’t miss the pure joy on her face from when she did well...

We’ll make other big games and I’ll take the lad to them (with his uncle!!) but I can’t give up being there to celebrate her success - I guess I love her more than SAFC

Cheers

19. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

20. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

And your son now thinks you love her more than him <laugh><laugh>....kids eh?

Joking aside tho fella, it's the right decision. I missed countless things taking my boy to footy when he was younger and don't regret any time I did that. Sometimes it was more entertaining watching his team than the toon!