1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pardew's next excuse lined up?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Obi Wan, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew wants more experience in side

Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew has admitted they may need to change their recruitment policy if they are to improve their fortunes.

Newcastle have yet to win in the Premier League this season and find themselves in the bottom three with the club's summer signings yet to find their best form.

Over the last few years, Newcastle's recruitment policy has been based upon signing younger players with a re-sale value, with some of the signings proving a major success and others failing to fulfil their potential

Pardew, whose future as Newcastle boss has been the subject of intense speculation, concedes the club are not enjoying the same success in the transfer market that they once did and that they may need to bring in some experienced new faces in January.

"Our policy here has been the same since I’ve been at the club – we have bought players we think have good market value and that means mainly the younger players," Pardew told the Chronicle.

"I’ve had to deal with younger players and some have been massively successful and some haven’t. At the moment we are not having as much success as we’ve had.

"We’ve produced some fantastic players for this club and we need to start producing a few more.

"I didn’t think we were strong enough in the last part of the season and that’s been held against me that I’ve been making excuses, but I just felt that we needed more and we didn’t have it after the loss of (Yohan) Cabaye.

"This club needs big players because we are a big scalp for any team.

"Forget where we are in the league. We need big players and our big players need to stand up.

"We also need to create more big players and that’s what we are trying to do."

MORE EXPERIENCE?
    OK, let's see...

Colo aged 32 played 219 Toon games
    Willo aged 30 played 139 Toon games
    Cisse aged 29 played 76 Toon games
    Gouf aged 28 played 56 Toon games
    Tiote aged 28 played 115 Toon games
    Saylor aged 28 played 230 Toon games
    Krul aged 26 played 150 Toon games

Plus many of those have experience elsewhere.

Not even going to include stats for Jonas or Raylor, for obvious reasons!

Also Benni (27) or Marveaux (28) could be recalled if experience is really an issue!

Loads of others in the squad are mid-twenties with plenty of games under their belts.

Not so much about experience, more about quality! So he's at least right about the 'big players' comment at the end.

But we can all see the excuse for the next defeat being road tested already...

2. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

That **** is so full of ****e it's unreal. He's so out of his depth even obi wan can't help..

3. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Personally I agree with him, and he doesn't really point to more experience. He is talking about players like Cabaye or Debuchy who are fully developed who come in at 24 plus and know their game. Guys who have that confidence to be able to deal with task at hand up here. He is talking about Bobby Robson knew, what KK knew. You need certain types, your blue chip. Guys like Speed, Solano, Batty, Lee, Shearer, Albert, Woodgate, Beardsley. That touch of class coupled with that nous to run games and give you 7/10 even on a bad day at the office.

We should not restrict ourselves and ignore what 30 plus players can bring to the party, particularly the ones which offer value. Peter Beardsley was one of the greatest signings KK made.

However it is not only age, we need to get more players with experience of this league. More than anything we need more players with a bit of dog in them - some players who are willing to fight for the cause when the chips are down. Our policy seems centred around making money. I previously thought it was some foolish policy to break into the elite without spending the money but they probably knew like everyone else does, it does not work like that.

Of the players you list I'd only class Colo, Tiote and Cisse as being genuine experienced players. Cisse only just though I do think he is showing signs of maturity. I think his tough spell may make him a better player. Gouf plays like a schoolkid at times. Saylor is still a bit of moron and is normally injured. Yeah they are 28, but their experience is actually limited. Krul is still a baby in keeping terms. Willo is experienced but not good enough.

The problem with Pardews comments is money is required to buy the players he is on about. Money he doesn't have. He can plead all he wants, I don't see it changing. We prefer to keep hoping the odd Debuchy or Cabaye pops up, we get in early and buy cheap. 2 years on and we flog for big money.

Have to say I think you and ACS are being unfair to him here. He is bang on the money.

4. Obi Wan

Hhhhmmmmph. Clouded by the dark side you are. See only what they want you to see, you do. <laugh>

As I said, it's about quality, not experience - I did honest, read my post! ;)

And Pards does say he's 'had' to deal with youngsters. He does want more experience - honest, read my post (with his quotes). ;)

I totally agree it's about us needing the right kind of player - the kind Ashley is unlikely to pay for. But Pars needs to stop putting his foot in his mouth. All this "people will say I'm making excuses, but...". No Alan. No "but". Merely by saying these things you are making excuses. Both before and after results. Learn when to just keep your trap shut!

He should either confront Mike properly, but privately. Demand an overhaul and depending on how that conversation goes he should either:
    1. Be delighted with his own strength of character and buy the players we do need, or
    2. Show some balls and say, "I can't work with an owner who won't back me, so I'm off!"

Either way, I'd have a new found respect for him.

If he feels he's being let down, he needs to discuss that with Mike in the right way.

But all this stupid media bulls**t does no good for anyone. So Alan, either deal with Mike - in private. Or else either shut up and put up with it quietly (like a pussy) while you earn the cash, or be a man and walk away but with your dignity intact about sticking to your own morals.

DMW your love is now blinding you. <laugh>

5. Blacker-than-Knight

Kinda difficult to confront Ashley when he is not around, even when Pardew expected to meet with him a few weeks ago he was left with Charnley and no sign of Ashley, see's more of him from the dugout at away games at the moment, in that situation you have to sometimes put the message out there through the media.

6. Warmir Pouchov

Pardew is great with the media <laugh><cool>

7. Obi Wan

Pards could buy some shares in Rangers so that Mike has to see him at the shareholder meetings.

8. Obi Wan

He certainly makes comedy value - for everybody other than Toon fans!

9. Beardsley's Rancid Sack

Beardsley's Rancid Sack Well-Known Member

&#8220;We have more depth and more quality and when I signed a long contract with Mike and the club we both knew there would be ups and downs for both of us.

&#8220;It was fairly obvious he listened to me at the back end of last year and the support I&#8217;ve had in terms of the signing of the new players is exactly what was needed.

&#8220;I&#8217;ve nothing to moan about now in terms of what&#8217;s happened this summer.

&#8220;We have a strong squad, perhaps the biggest and best I&#8217;ve ever had in terms of options so we&#8217;re in a great position.''

10. Warmir Pouchov

Now there is a quote he really deserves a mullering over. As I said at the time..................bollocks!

11. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

12. daztoc

daztoc Well-Known Member

Pardew knows he is on borrowed time. Perhaps he is slowly starting to needle Ashley a little, hoping that he will bullet him. Its clear that the guy isn't going to walk away from a pay off, but it also appears that MA is willing to see if the pressure gets too much for 'Pards' and he walks away and saves Ashley a few quid.

13. Obi Wan

Priceless! Utterly priceless.

He can't decide whether to kiss Mike's ass, or bemoan him for lack of action/support.

Just keep your mouth shut Pards and do your job - or go!

14. Beardsley's Rancid Sack

Beardsley's Rancid Sack Well-Known Member

I think Mike might get rid of him after the three ****y games after Leicester. Maybe get the new manager in after the envitable drubbing from Liverpool as November has some winnable (on paper at least) games before the December from hell period.

15. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

He's trying to get control over transfers and he's prepared to manipulate opinions to get it.

16. Wisey's Hair

Wisey's Hair Well-Known Member

Haha can mods see who posts tags?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.