1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Oxford v Town

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, Mar 18, 2022.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Exciting would be the word I’d use! It’s been ‘interesting’ to visit some new places (Morecambe / Fleetwood) but for the most part excruciating waiting for a goal to come. Credit to the drummer and the Blue Action lads - the atmosphere is better than it ever was in the Championship.

Southcoastoldgaffer and Redruth like this.
  2. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

Not to far for her to travel as she lives quite close. As others have said, it is the hope that kills you.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  3. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I think today just goes to show how much we are lacking a proven goalscorer, the recent games against Cheltenham, Portsmouth, and today to name a few are all games we should have won and the extra points would have seen us in a playoff position, sure we play good entertaining football and yes its light years ahead of where we were but i hope McK makes it a priority in the summer to sign 2 good goalscorers and stop relying on our defence to get the points, personally i dont think Bonne, Piggot, are worth keeping full stop and keeping Jackson and Norwood is hard to justify, we have to do everything we can to get out of this lousy division A S A P to keep the enthusiasm bubbling.

4. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

I would keep Jackson as he is different to the others. We definitely need a focal point for our attack though. Piggott did score 20 for AFC Wimbledon but that was as part of a 2 up front which we don’t play. Need someone proven who can play that role - I firmly believe that KM has already got his targets for the summer in mind. We could also use like for like cover for Morsy and a left wing back but in general this squad should be ready to go next season. I really hope (& say it quietly believe) that we are at the beginning of a new dawn for our football club

5. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily agree we need to replace all our strikers. It's clear that it's our problem area and new blood will help no end. But each of them have been through very effective purple patches of different lengths this year.

Bonne kept Cook in a job deeper into the season than he might have otherwise managed and had us all begging QPR to not notice him.

Then Chaplin was suddenly banging then in game after game.

Norwood came out of the cold and resumed his goal scoring.

Burns has had his best goalscoring season.

Jackson suddenly started scoring again until he got injured

Collectively they've managed some very high scoring games.

Reviewing how we use our attack and get it firing consistently must be the aim over summer. But whole sale changes of all the personnel may cause more problems then it solves.

If we need to clear space then unfortunately it'll be easiest to thank Bonne for his services, but on record I'd prefer it to be Piggott.

6. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Valid points, and we all know that our attractive style and general performances are well above L1, dominating, impress other managers, and enjoyable for us to watch, especially wen I get a lovely sentimental away day trip with iFollow in my favourite Amsterdam bar with Reuser, Arnie Muhren, Frans Thijssen & co! 40 yrs on they are getting a bit grey around the temples!

At least one fresh top goal scorer, keep Jackson, Bonne, Burns and Chaplin, thanks and goodbye the rest.

KM will have his eye on someone, and MA his wallet open. Exciting times ahead, bring on next transfer window, early June I think.

Oddly, in my last 10 games post, we are still with outside chance, if morale isnt too shattered after yesterday. Had Oxford down as a draw. Tasty matches ahead.

Redruth likes this.
  7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

We would have to at least beat Plymouth or Rotherham or Wigan and ALL of our other four games (in all likelihood if Sheffield Wednesday win 4 or their 8 games we’d need to do better than that). I just don’t see that happening for us.

It WAS achievable (Plymouth have won five on the bounce) but we have just not done enough to put the ball in the net against Cheltenham, Morecambe, Portsmouth, Oxford (that’s 8 points dropped in comfortably winnable games) and now with the Oxford result we’ve run out of road.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

That last minute was gutting.

More than likely that's our season done. Shame we drew that game after the wonderful goal we scored