1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Oxford v Shrewsbury

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Matster, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The last game of the season arrives and Town have an early start at 12 o'clock, will they have made the trip down on Saturday and stayed somewhere?

Town need a point or keep their GD above that of Port Vale's if PV win. to remain in this league. Let us hope that Town make a good job of today's match for all those who have travelled.

Shrewsbury are without grimmer and Dodds today. I think we won't see much of a change in the squad bar a couple of changes and maybe blooding some younger players late on if things are going well.

Floreat Salopia.

2. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

Did not go but it looked to be a rather uninspired performance against an admittedly in-form side. Hurst would gladly have taken 18th place when he came in so he has more than earned the right to completely build his own squad in the summer. Given that contracts do not mean much nowadays I would go for a complete clear -out only keeping Ogogo, Leutwiler, Brown, Sadler., Nsiala, Whalley, Dodds and possibly Morris. I do not think any of the players from our youth team look remotely good enough to make an impact in League 1. Of the loanees we had Roberts would be interesting on a season-long loan due to his class and creativity while I am sure both Payne and Humphreys have the makings of a decent League 1 striker. No doubt the players coming in will not have been even mentioned in the various transfer threads but Hurst has unearthed a few gems like Nsiala already and can be forgiven a few duds like Rodman and I live in hope that under him we can survive comfortably next year and finally properly establish ourselves in this league.

3. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yesterday's game was not an enjoyable event to watch. The 35 minute traffic queue before hand didn't help matters either!

We failed to deal with a quick pass through midfield and players seemed to be stood watching whilst Oxford continued the attack. The second was seen by many as offside but the old adage to play to the whistle was not adhered to.

Town were better in the second half but never really threatened too much. Brown was probably the best on the pitch in my eyes.

Agree with your players to keep. However Deegan, Rodman and Riley are worthy unless we can find better. Rodman can be hit and miss but does some very good stuff, just needs to control the ball and retain it better.

We are looking at least at 2-3 forward players, at least 2 defenders and a creative midfielder. Goalkeepers might all be changed, with us selling one of the younger lads.