1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Oxford United v Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

We haven’t won since April - a run of 9 matches.

2. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

Not how I remember it.

What I do remember is Laudrup taking the team to 9th in the PL. The team winning the League Cup, ( although perhaps he benefitted from not having to play Oxford at any stage <laugh> ), then having a decent run in Europe.
    That was not good enough for the assassins who wanted rid not too long afterwards.
    Monk was their chosen replacement, and there was much joy when his charges improved on the League standing, by finishing in 8th place.
    Not long after that success, the mob turned on Monk, and he was gone.
    Etc.

There's a pattern. There's always a pattern.

And it's about to repeat itself.

But it's only a game, and I'm not going to sanction the sacking of a complete stranger, just to appease fickle, contrary football fans'.

Just my opinion, of course.

<cheers>

3. LIBERTARIAN

Miserable stat, no arguing with that. But, a win at Blackpool on Saturday will have everyone smiling and believing that Martin walks on water. <laugh>

Nearly 900 Swans supporters at tonight's game. Well done to them for making the effort.

Full away allocation for Blackpool, so let's hope they have something to cheer. They deserve it.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  4. LIBERTARIAN

He's not mine to "keep".

I'm not trained in the art of football management, people management, yes.

I don't like the way football fans' call for sackings. They would scream like stuck pigs if they were treated the same in their workplace. <cheers>

5. Taffvalerowdy

Not necessarily given the pay cheques and the even fatter pay offs <cheers>

daimungeezer and LIBERTARIAN like this.
  6. Taffvalerowdy

“I read a day or so ago that Monk feels that there is "an agenda" against him,by a certain group of individuals.
    If true,then there's a delicious irony about it,since heavy rumours abound that he was part of the "agenda" that saw the demise of Laudrup,and that it was he that brandished the knife.
    Of course,we will never know the reality,but the rumour has been running for quite some time now.
    Smoke-fire-etc.”

7. LIBERTARIAN

I remember reading something about Monk's, alleged, " et tu, Brute " moment, but it could have been malicious rumour. I just don't listen to idle gossip.

There was also a rumour regarding Laudrup's Agent having a run in with Jenkins, and Laudrup taking the Agents side. Jenkins seemingly had the last word. But it was a sad day for the Club when Laudrup was dismissed. The Club lost a lot of credibility. and it has not regained it. <cheers>

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    daimungeezer and swantastic like this.
  8. LIBERTARIAN

Nah, most of the buggars are unemployed, and too busy setting cars on fire in Mayhill, etc. <laugh>

9. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Just woke up to the news.

2 up and we fukd it up.

Post match press from Doc Martin?

He really is useless.

10. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

11. Taffvalerowdy

Head coach Russell Martin says Swansea City must "manage key moments better" after EFL Cup defeat at Oxford extended their winless start to the season.

Swansea go to Blackpool on Saturday having taken a point from their first two Championship games in 2022-23.

They were beaten on penalties by League One Oxford having led 2-0 with 20 minutes of the game to play.

"You want to see if guys can do it - sink or swim time. A few swam really well and a few sunk," he said.

"You can accept defeat if the lads stick to what we have worked on throughout the year we have been here.

"The performance was so good for 60 minutes - but then it can't end up going completely the other way. It's ridiculous.

"I am angry and the boys should be really angry with what they let the game turn into."

Martin has reiterated that he would like to strengthen his squad if possible, but remains uncertain about what will be possible in the transfer market given Swansea's financial limitations.

Martin has confirmed winger Jordon Garrick and forward Kyle Joseph are poised to leave the Championship club for loan spells in League One.

But he added: "What we'll be able to do after that, we'll have to wait and see."

Swansea took a point on the opening day of the season thanks to Harry Darling's equaliser at Rotherham.

They lost 3-0 in their opening home game of the new campaign, against Blackburn last Saturday, but Martin rejected the suggestion that there is pressure to deliver a result at Blackpool.

"We are two games in, three games in aren't we? Not really. I don't know, maybe from outside. Not for us," he said.

"It's been a frustrating start but there have been loads of positive signs as well. Even [last] Saturday, people will be frustrated, as I am, but we had a huge amount of the ball and most of it in the final third.

"It is not very often you are camped in the final third. We just shouldn't concede three goals.

"There is an issue at the moment - in the key moments of the game, we have to manage it better.

"We created more than Rotherham, we created more than Blackburn, we created much more than Oxford, and we don't win any of them. We have to believe that's going to turn."

12. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

He should have ended with. The only way is up ! <laugh>

daimungeezer and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  13. Taffvalerowdy

Trouble is …. I’m not sure it is under this guy <yikes>

55282, daimungeezer and swantastic like this.
  14. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

Luckily it's early season so they might get thier act together before Xmas ?
    Just hope there's a few worst teams than ours in the division !
    If cdiff don't take advantage of the mess so far this season then it will be very funny .

15. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

"Martin has reiterated that he would like to strengthen his squad if possible...."

The problem with this is that we could sign the top 11 PL players but if they're just tippy tapping about in their own half then we'll be in the same situation. Unless there's some miracle turnaround(*) then RM is simply not good enough. We should be doing better with the players we have. At the very least show some fight and attacking intent. I'd rather we continually hoof the ball into the box than what I'm seeing now.

(*) Miracles are not an actual thing.

neveroffsidereff likes this.
  16. Taffvalerowdy

We appointed a L1 Manager, he has signed a number of L1* players, no surprise that we could end up in L1 ….

* - I know that Downes did well for us <cheers>

daimungeezer and 55282 like this.
  17. Taffvalerowdy

Martin rang the changes - disrupting the flow of the game - yet, he blames the players <doh>

18. Taffvalerowdy

(I saw these stats on PS.)

Under RM, we have played 48 games in the Championship.

We’ve won 9 games out of 24 at home, 8 draws and 7 losses. Average points return of 1.45

Away from home, we’ve won 7 out of 24, 6 draws and 11 losses. Average points return of 1.125

Our home form over that period is around 18th, away roughly 16th.

If teams have now worked out how to play us, those statistics could worsen ….

daimungeezer, 55282 and swantastic like this.
  19. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Well it is easy to play against us, let us have the ball and the opposition can’t lose as we will spend most of the game in our own half passing it back and forth till one of them hits a bad pass and the opposition scores from it. Isn’t that how it goes nearly every game.

fed up with his tactics, we are piss poor defending 21 or so goals conceded in the last 9 without winning, giving away big leads in at least 3 of them. He signed his own keeper and his own defenders and we are still awful at the back.

I believe the squad is good enough to compete in the top half with the right manager, unfortunately with the one we have we will be lucky to avoid relegation. Time to go for me. The signs were there pre season.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  20. nicewelshlumberjack

nicewelshlumberjack Well-Known Member

daimungeezer and Taffvalerowdy like this.