1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Overall thoughts for discussion

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Metashrew, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Metashrew

Metashrew Member

Overall thoughts for discussion:

This season is starting to feel very average with a potential for disaster but no potential for zipping up the table. No complaints there then?

Last season was survive, is this season consolidate before 'pushing on'?

What changes do we need for a) January and b) next season to ensure a vibrant club (doesn't have to be stupidly successful)?

Are we the victims of our own mediocrity? But is it better than being a club that goes up and down? Yes, we have done a bit of that too!

Can we, as fans, do anything about it? This is not a cry for a trust because the ones in the league (not those outside the 92) are not exactly brilliant!

2. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Metashrew, I thought this deserved its own thread!

3. Matster

Forum Moderator

We seem to be short in a couple of places at least. Admittedly 4-6 players short in full reality.

Woods, is no central midfielder and is doing a decent but not fantastic job at RB. So we still need a skilled player there.

We could do with a bully boy rock solid player in central midfield to have in reserve if not starting if needed.

Again a whiley striker who has that guile to nick and shoot at goal.

4. Metashrew

Metashrew Member

Thanks Matster!
    Interesting comments. The extra players would give confidence and if they were good we would all think a finish between, say, 5th and 8th would be possible; with a push on next season.

I appreciate GT's efforts over all clubs and years but wonder if he is a little weary. Enthusiasm may not die but perhaps long term drive is diminished..... especially if the board or chairman are biding their time.
    Woods seems enthusiastic and still young, what's his best position? Agree then about a right back, seems to be an increasingly important position.
    The thorny issue of loanees is never far from the discussion; I feel their use contributes to the low morale in supporters. It's difficult to associate with players who you know will be gone so soon.......it's like supporting a reduced size team with a few visitors helping out!
    Doing this from phone......sure more to follow after trip to pub with Burton fans!

5. Hounded Out By Morons

Hounded Out By Morons Well-Known Member

Nicky Wroe signed on a month's loan. Initially did surprisingly well at PNE. A better option than McAllister. Woods, apparently, did well playing centre midfield late on v Posh. Looks competent at RB and GT should have played his hunch and played Goldson in midfeld when he came on against Colchester.

6. Matster

Forum Moderator

From what I've seen, Goldson looked better in cm than woods did.

7. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

For me, the lack of an established striker is the main thing stopping us climbing the table at the moment. We may need to break our wage structure to sign someone good enough to make a difference or hope someone with a good past record currently out of favour (Wes Thomas?) will take a step down to make a bigger step forward later as Grant Holt did.

8. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

with such ltd resources and a crowd of say 5500, I fear town's pinnacle is 8th in league 1