1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Outside options? Bojan and Shaqiri

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by UnitedinRed, Dec 28, 2015.

1. UnitedinRed

UnitedinRed Well-Known Member

Two players in great form who have been a handful for defences?

As alternatives to the likes of Mahrez would anyone be happy to see them? Who else might fit the bill. 3 days to go so this can be the Jan transfer thread for discussion. Rumours have a thread already.

2. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

I think we already have more talented players than both, we are just not playing to our capabilities due to LVG and his philosophy. So signing them won't improve our fortunes.

I'd like Mahrez, but the 2 players I'd like the most in the PL are Lukaku and Kane. The chances of us getting both are very slim, but getting 1 would be a great signing for us:biggrin:

3. UnitedinRed

What about Lucas Moura? He's notngetying an awful lot of games at PSG now Di Maria is there and he's still very highly rated.

Kane and Lukaku or one of them would be brilliant but no chance in January.

And yes we have better players but both are flying. Which ours are not.

cytrax likes this.
  4. King Shergar

I'd take Lucas Moura, as atleast he can go past players and make things happen. He could probably be signed cheaply too, as like you say he's on the bench every game :biggrin:

5. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

The trouble united will have is that very few clubs will either need to sell or will be willing to sell in January. Villa will sell cos their stuffed but not sure anyone will want their players and west brom may well sell Berahino. Can't see Stoke being willing to sell any of their first teamers tbh.

6. remembercolinlee

There is not a hope in hell that you will get Kane and imho the same is true of Lakaku

7. King Shergar

I think Lukaku is more gettable, as I think Everton will sell if a big offer comes in. I think something in the region of 50-60 million and they'll sell.

Kane will be a lot tougher as we know what Daniel Levy is like, and i don't think Kane is the type of player to cause trouble to force through a move:biggrin:

8. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Definitely agree that Lukaku is absolutely obtainable. I would prefer him to Kane to be honest.

9. King Shergar

I dunno it's a close call. I think Lukakus probably the better goal scorer, and is a more athletic player, but I think Kane has the better all round game, he's a better passer and a more intelligent player.

As a pairing I think they'd compliment each other well, as Kane likes to drop deeper and play in the hole, whilst Lukaku is more of an out and out striker :biggrin:

10. King Shergar

The other player that no one has mentioned yet, and is definately attainable, is Ighalo at Watford.

Whilst the likes of Vardy, Lukaku and Mahrez seem to be getting most of the headlines this year, Ighalo is only 1 behind Lukaku and Vardy in the top goal scorer charts, and will likely be available a lot cheaper than either Lukaku or Kane :biggrin:

lostboi likes this.

11. remembercolinlee

Would be amazed if everton sold him...their fans would be well pissed off
    Agree about Kane not kicking off though

12. remembercolinlee

Watford will only sell if he kicks off big time imo...there's no reason to sell...if they survive til the summer in the prem they will get untold millions from the new tv deal

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I would need to seriously rethink what the world is coming to if we even consider paying £50-60m for Lukaku <laugh> Bloody hell.

I think it's best we find out who the manager is before we buy another striker. For example, if it's LVG then Lukaku will mean our game being reliant solely on crosses and long balls into the box. If it's someone like Mourinho, then Lukaku won't be coming anyway. If it's Giggs, I think he'd prefer Kane but there's no chance we'll be getting him in January.

Also if you're going to ever play them together, consider how Lukaku will link up with a CF like Martial? I can't see it working tbh.

14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Bojan and Shaquiri are both very good players, no doubt. But are we getting a bit carried away with them because they have brought something new to Stoke?
    They have both had their chance on the big stage, and for whatever reason, failed. That is why they are at Stoke.
    If we were looking for a cheap striker from the Premier League, then Ighalo would be my preference (at the moment), he shrugs off top class, strong defenders like they don't exist and has a deadly eye for goal (links up very, very well with Deany, do we need him too to make it work, same question with Vardy and Marhez).
    I would rather go for a striker that has performed at a high level at several different clubs, that way you know he is good at his job and not just in the right partnership.

15. King Shergar

Well Everton paid 30 for him, and he's improved a lot since they bought him, so I'd say 50-60 would be a fair price.

I agree the market has gone mad, but when the likes of Sterling are going for 50, then I think it's perfectly feesible that a young player with loads of potential like Lukaku is worth more.

I think Lukaku has the potential to be one of the best strikers in the world, and is beginning to show that on a weekly basis :biggrin:

Diego likes this.
  16. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Oh I agree that the market is crazy and that £50-60m figure these days is standard procedure. That deosn't mean we should be crazy enough to be spending it on Lukaku. There are better players out there for that amount and less.

He could be, but I just don't think he's the future for a club like United. That's no disrespect to Everton, but he's not the type of CF we need imo. Kane on the other hand...

I still think our greater priority is RW, RB and a new manager.

17. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Strange times. Some of the features of the post busby and pre Fergie period were exactly the taking of players who were doing well from the 'smaller' clubs. I recall for example managers like Sexton buying Birtles and big Ron buying Davenport because they were doing well for Forest at the time. Total failures for United as they crumbled under the weight of expectations and the relentless pressure of playing fir a big club. They just didn't fit.

Shaqiri, Bojan, Mahrez are playing well for their club. Will perform in the United midfield under pressure? Would Vardy be a good buy if only for his pace but would he fit in?

The main difference to the old times is that these clubs are so worried about missing the premiership windfalls that they have kept and will keep their best players as they realise that getting relegated will lose them the tens of millions ( maybe hundreds) which staying in the prem now means.

No one in the premiership will want to sell their best players in the January window. It will mean buying players from other leagues.

luvgonzo likes this.
  18. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Bojan is playing well as a false 9 Arnautovic and Shaquiri are getting the headlines. It's Arnautovic who looks invincible at the moment playing like he owns the pitch.

19. UnitedinRed

Arnautovic has 18 months left on his deal. Would probably be available cheap.

20. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Mahrez is in a team in the race for the title, I can't see him being available and it seems wrong to even try. Leicester should be left to get on with it and then those players can choose whether to stay or leave at the end of the season.

We need a striker. Get one and that allows Martial to play from wide (for now), killing two birds with one stone.

We're not going to get top drawer, readily available, players next month really.