1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our World Today

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 25, 2017.

1. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Eurovision is excellent. Who cares if it's not just a song contest anymore? The point is to have fun, and if you can't have fun then what's the point in anything? It has cheesiness, it has silliness, it has campness and weirdness and occasionally there's a half decent song from it.

2. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

I've bought three Eurovision songs off itunes in my time:

Denmark!

Netherlands, my favourite and one of my most played songs of the last few years according to Last.FM. Also should have won but was robbed by that gimmick, Chonchita Wurst, with some ****ty wannabe Bond theme.

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've never been much of a music person but have to admit that some tunes/songs are worth another listen. I like all sorts of stuff so am not stuck in one mode. My Mrs said she liked Pavarotti but I much prefer Gateau myself. Eurovision though hasn't ever managed to excite me yet.

4. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Remember Abba....probably one of the famous bands ever and making a comeback!

5. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

SHRAPNEL FROM VAPE PEN BLAST KILLS UNITED STATES TV PRODUCER.

A television producer in Florida died when his vape pen exploded and drove shrapnel into his skull.
    It is the first e-cigarette related death in the US.

Tallmadge Waksman "Wake" D'Elia, 38, was found dead on May 5th when fire-fighters were called to a blaze at his home in the St Petersburg area.
    His body had 80% burns, but a medical examiner's report concluded that he had been fatally wounded by two pieces of the vape pen that had become embedded in his skull. the 'Tampa Bay Times' reported.

The cause of death was recorded as "projectile wound to the head".

Mr D'elia's father, Christopher, told ABC Action News: "This is a terrible shock. A 38-year-old should not be gone, his mother and I are devastated."
    He described his son, known as Wake, as a "talented" and "smart" young man, who "loved his job".

ABC said that the vape pen was made by a company called Smok-E Mountain. A company representative told the station that its devices did not explode, but added there were safety concerns over other companies cloning its batteries.

The US Fire Administration says there were 195 separate incidents in the US of e-cigarettes exploding or catching fire between 2009 and 2016.

Incidents of e-cigarettes exploding have also been reported in the UK. In 2014, a vape device blew up and sent shards of metal tearing into a Lancashire mans limbs.
    In the same year, an incident in which a e-cigarettes exploded in a man's pocket and caused a van to burst into flames was captured on CCTV.

Daily Telegraph 18/5/18.

My thoughts.....Irrefutable evidence that e-cigarettes are not good for your health.....do I hear sniggering from tobacco companies.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  6. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

And boy do they look stupid......

7. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Well sucking that crap in is no different than smoking, none of it interests me or never has.

Surely the vape is hoy going into your lungs and will eventually cause damage like the fags opps cigarettes cant say that word

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

There is a Vape shop in Bromley that I walk past every week or so....it is quite narrow....about 8ft wide and possible 40ft deep.....at the far end is their counter....generally with two assistants leaning on the counter waiting for customers....I kid you not....you can just about discern their shapes through a dense chemical haze from their vaping...it horrified me the first time I saw it.....reminded me of the peasouper smogs I used to travel too and from work in, in the late 1950's.....10 years from now I reckon the hospitals will be full of dying vapers trying to get lung transplants.

PS.....that's the ones who haven't self ignited and blown their brains out of course....that's assuming that they have got brains to start with.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

BRING BACK NATIONAL SERVICE.

Just got home from a visit to my local High St in Orpington.

The council had put about 20 free standing flower planters along the length of the high street....metal framed jobs about 4ft high and 3ft square....full of excellent flower arrangements....nice and cheerful to see....plus hanging baskets hanging from lamp posts etc....the council or their contractors do a good job every year.

Today every one of them had been overturned with flowers and peat all over the pavement....I can only assume that last night at chucking out time....the local drunken oafs/morons/ knuckle draggers/imbeciles/cretins/dimwits/buffoons/simpletons/etc,etc....choose any term you like.... had passed this way on the way home.

Two years National Service didn't do me any harm....bring it back and get these drunken oafs etc, etc, doing some square bashing and obeying orders for a change...instead of just growing up as spoilt brats.

10. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

We have them in Vancouver too probably the world over.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

What, free standing flower planters.....:rolleyes:.

12. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Also the Idiots who you have mentioned Plym, they are everywhere.

They probably didnt know what it was in the planters? They are use to lying about on a sofa, eating crap and playing on their phones. Then go and get hammered and wreck anything in their path.

Hopefully a camera will pick them up ..

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....A Grandfather was banned from shopping at his local supermarket for refusing to take off his flat cap.
    Graham Cattermole, 64, was told by a security guard that he wasn't allowed in the Tesco store unless he removed his hat at a branch in Dudley, West Midlands. The electrician refused and left the building.
    Tesco has since apologised and admitted it had implemented its policy on hoodies or crash helmets incorrectly.
    Mr Cattermole said: "It was ridiculous , I said to the wife: We'll go home.
    He later phoned Tesco to complain and said: "according to the local store he was an overzealous doorman who had not been there very long".

My thoughts.....You just can't get a good quality of knuckle dragging security guard these days.

2.....Nigel Lawson, the Eurosceptic former chancellor, has denied accusations of Brexit hypocrisy after it emerged he was applying for French residency.
    The Tory peer who chaired the Vote Leave campaign said he had started the "tiresome" paperwork required to obtain a 'carte de sejour'. Remain campaigners said Lord Lawson's application made him a "hypocrite".
    But the peer said it was a storm in a teacup as it was "well known" he lived in France. He said he applied for residency following a request to do so from the French authorities.
    A carte de sejour shows a person is legally resident in France and it is hoped possession of such documentation will help avoid any complications after Brexit. Paul Butters, a Remain spokesman, said Lord Lawson's residency application "takes the Biscuit".

My thoughts....Give him a break...he has lost a lot of weight since his cabinet days.....all he is trying to do is maintain that weight loss by trying to get away from his daughters over the top calorie filled cooking.

14. notDistantGreen

Not entirely sure France is the ideal diet destination... Shows the hypocrisy of demi-aristo Brexiteers like Farage, Lawson and Rees-Mogg.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I know at least a half dozen people who have lived abroad but voted to leave the EU. Talking to them it is solely about immigration yet they cannot see the irony of them being immigrants themselves when they lived there. They saw nothing wrong with themselves living in France or Spain or that they fitted that category. They are British and are therefore exempt the "foreigner" tag wherever they resided.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....Mary Wilson, the widow of Harold Wilson, the Labour prime minister, has died at 102 after a stroke. Lady Wilson of Rievaulx wrote poetry and opposed her husband over Britain's entry to the European Community.
    She was married to the former prime minister for 55 years before his passing in 1995. The couple married on New Years day in 1940.
    She was exceptionally loyal to her husband, but remained very much a private person. She became a published poet and the couple had two sons...,.Robin who became a professor of mathematics and Giles who became a teacher.

2.....A Frenchman has been dubbed "the luckiest man in the world" for winning the lottery twice in 18 months....a feat that mathematicians put at 16 thousand billion to one.
    The unnamed man from Evian, south-west France, who bought the two tickets to win the million-euro lottery from the same café-bar, has said he intends to keep betting, convinced there is truth in the saying: " Third time lucky."

3.....A crocodile in Australia has eaten a small dog that had taunted it for a decade at a riverside lodge.
    To the horror of guests who had gathered to watch the spectacle, as terrier Pippa ran at its head, Casey the saltwater crocodile did not scurry towards the water as it usually did.
    Instead, Pippa's owner, Kai Hansen, said the 11ft crocodile "did what crocs do" and clenched the dog in his teeth before returning to the water.
    Mr Hansen runs the Goat Island Lodge, a ramshackle lodge on the crocodile-infested Adelaide River, south of Darwin in the Northern Territory.
    He said that although he was " really sad" , he did not blame the 220lb crocodile for attacking his 15lb dog.
    Guests captured footage of the dog being eaten, on which they could be heard gasping and yelling expletives. Mt Hansen said he could not bring himself to watch it.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....The Premier League's 'big six' clubs have won their fight to take a bigger share of the top tier's international broadcasting revenue, the league has announced.

The domestic TV cash has always been distributed on a meritocratic basis, depending on where clubs finish in the league, but proceeds from foreign broadcasters have been shared equally since 1992, as nobody predicted that the sums involved would increase and become so significant.

In recent years, however, the league's top six clubs......Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man C, Man U and Tottenham......have argued they should get more of the overseas income as they are the clubs foreign fans want to watch.

My thoughts.....Well, well would you believe it....the rich get richer....and the rest just have to lump it.

2.....Children who have their tonsils removed are more than three times as likely to develop asthma later in life, a study suggests. As many as one in five people who had a tonsillectomy went on to suffer serious diseases they might otherwise not have developed, with the procedure also raising the risk of influenza, pneumonia, chronic bronchitis and emphysema. The Danish scientists who led the 30 year research project into nearly two million children said removing tonsils before the age of 10 might harm the development of the immune system.

My thoughts.....Another scientist will probably say the opposite in a few years time....without spending 30 years of his life doing it.
    I can remember at about 5 years old having my tonsils and adenoids out....it was quite the common thing back in the 1940's.....health wise I haven't had any of those mentioned problems during my life....maybe I've just been lucky...or is it because I did have them removed...who knows.

Maybe Danes should stick to what they're good at....producing bacon.

3.....London's fire chief and other senior officers could face charges over the "stay put" policy that told residents to remain inside the burning Grenfell Tower, it has emerged.
    Dany Cotton, the Commissioner of the London Fire Brigade who was at the scene on the night of the disaster, could be prosecuted for health and safety breaches that allegedly contributed to the deaths of 72 people, including an unborn baby.
    Residents in the 23-storey tower were told to remain in the burning building in line with the brigade's "stay put" policy, which relies on the blaze being contained. But the public inquiry into the tragedy has heard that senior officers did not order an evacuation until 2.47am, more than 80 minutes after the policy had "substantially failed".
    Scotland Yard will soon begin to arrest and question suspects over last June's fire and confirmed the "stay put" policy would form part of its inquiries.
    It raises the prospect of Ms Cotton and senior colleagues facing charges under the section of the Health and Safety Act that requires people to conduct their employment in a way that does not expose others to risk.
    Those convicted usually face fines, but in extreme cases prison sentences can be applied. Ms Cotton had been in her post for six months when the fire occurred and has spoken of having counselling for the trauma she has suffered. After being contacted at home in Kent and told about the unfolding events at Grenfell, she drove to the scene, arriving 18 minutes before the order to evacuate the block was given.

Article continues....Daily Telegraph...08/06/2018.

My thoughts.....Hindsight solves everything so it seems.....the spreading of this fire was created by cladding that didn't meet the safety requirements....it looked good to the eye and it was never properly fire tested....but who could visualize such a fire happening....tower block fires are normally contained in the area or flat where it starts....hence the "stay put" ruling.
    The thought of Fire Brigade officers being taken to court in such circumstances is appalling.....many of them have been traumatized for life and will probably never resume their fire brigade jobs again.

18. notDistantGreen

Ummm I do recall the Fire Brigades Union that runs the fire service raising concerns that entering burning buildings was damaging to health not because of potential burns or noxious fumes but because it tended to be a bit hot in there. Lions led by donkeys.

Clearly the fire service wasn't the cause of this disaster. In addition to the cladding, it seems that there was a lift intended to be used by firemen to get up to fires but this was out of order. With only the one stairwell, you can see the dilemma. I also read that some of the access routes by which fire engines were supposed to get to the building had actually been blocked by bollards. However, let's let the public and police inquiries do their work. If for example the firemen on the ground wanted residents evacuated but some senior officer forbade it, that individual may have a case to answer.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Health and Safety creates it's own problems. If that Senior Officer had sent in a shed load of Firemen and those had perished then they would have had a whole load of answering to do. You virtually can't do anything anymore without the appropriate "risk assessment" being carried out to the enth degree.

This enquiry is the equivalent of having hindsight which has already been pointed out as essential to prevent virtually anything. I see no point in threatening anyone with criminal proceedings after the event. Nobody meant any of this to happen .

20. notDistantGreen

Any knowing failure to comply with Building Regs or other safety standards would warrant severe punishment.