1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our World Today

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 25, 2017.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Doctors say they have achieved "mind-blowing" results in an attempt to rid people of haemophilia A. Patients are born with a genetic defect that means they do not produce a protein needed to stop bleeding. Thirteen patients given the gene therapy at Barts Health NHS Trust are now off treatment with 11 producing near-normal levels of the protein.

Prof John Pasi, who led the trials at Barts and Queen Mary University of London, said: "This is huge. It's ground-breaking because the option to think about normalising levels in patients with severe haemophilia is absolutely mind-blowing. To offer people the potential of a normal life when they've had to inject themselves with factor VIII every other day to prevent bleeding is transformational."

Bloody foreigners.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So the NHS proves it's ability to perform, the lack is the Governments ability to support them.....in fact the Government ability is falling short in many areas at a time when they should be making decisions towards our future.....where are the leaders....they'll let Corbyn in to rule the country if they don't get their act together soon.

Tory remainers will sink Theresa May's Government and strengthen the EU's negotiating hand as they try to reverse the will of the people, by hanging on by their fingers nails to a pipedream that they think can still be achieved....wake up to the future, do not destroy it.

Bloody foreigners as you call them notDistant are welcomed, if they bring the skills that we need...wishy washy government has scared some away, not Brexit.

3. notDistantGreen

We are not governed by the Prime Minister, her ministers or civil servants. We are governed by our MP's in Parliament. Therefore it's an absolute constitutional necessity that Parliament approves whatever Brexit deal is cobbled together.

If anyone's trying to do something underhand, it's the minority of Brexiteers in Parliament who want to keep us in the dark about the carnage Brexit is going to do to the UK.

As you listen to the news, i want you to take note of the number of top scientists and doctors working in this country who appear who are NOT of British origin.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....Pristine operating theatres and state-of-the-art medical equipment are featured in a new Dubai hospital that opened last week--exclusively for camels.

Camels are an important part of the Gulf Arab state's heritage. Camel races and beauty pageants are a favourite recreation for locals, and some fetch millions of dollars at auction.

The Dubai Camel Hospital cost 40 million dirhams (£8.1 million) and is the first in the world, said Mohamed Al Bulooshi, the hospital's director. Staffed by international veterinarians, the hospital can treat 20 camels. It also has a mini-race track to get camels up and running after their treatment.

My thoughts.....Box of tissues for any NHS staff that read this while eating their Weetabix.

2.....Google has discovered lost tribes, missing ships and even a forgotten forest. But now the tech giant, working with Nasa, has made its biggest find of all: two entirely new planets.

Google used its algorithms to sift through thousands of signals sent back to Earth by Nasa's Kepler space telescope.

One of the new planets was found in the Kepler-90 star system, which is about 2,200 light years away from Earth.

The discovery is important because it takes the number of planets in the star system up to eight, the same as our own Solar System. It is the first time that any system has been found to have as many planets as ours.

Andrew Vanderburg astronomer and Nasa Sagan Postdoctoral Fellow at The University of Texas, Austin, said: "The Kepler-90 star system is like a mini version of our solar system. You have small planets inside and big planets outside, but everything is scrunched in much closer.

For the first time we know for sure the Solar System is not the sole record holder for the number of planets.

"Maybe there are systems out there with so many planets they make ours sound ordinary".

The second new planet found by Google and Kepler has been named Kepler-80g.

My thoughts.....Wow...that's 10 minutes of my life I wont get back again......:headbang:.

5. notDistantGreen

Ummm isn't this pertinent to the greatest question of all - are we alone?

We're finding suns with planets and suns with planets not dissimilar to Earth regularly now. There are probably deep seas on the moons of Jupiter and Saturn and if we find water combined with volcanic activity, then the conditions may be right to produce life.

Well worth 10 minutes I'd have thought...... <monster>

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

At 2,200 light years away, it ain't a weekend away.....and I can't see the FL allowing them to join the league even if we do master how to travel at the speed of light.

7. notDistantGreen

Keplar-80G Athletic away (2,545 light-years) does put Scunthorpe into persepective. I think the surface temperature of 425 C is likely to be a bigger problem than the travelling.

8. notDistantGreen

Whilst I was checking temperature which I vaguely registered from the news this morning, I came across the following headline regarding an endangered species:

Sumatran rhino 'hanging on by a thread'

Must be quite a thread. How did it start dangling in the first place? It wouldn't be in danger if the dumb animal didn't hang off tall objects would it?

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....Abu Hamza, the jailed Islamist hate preacher, has demanded that he be returned to the UK as his American prison is too tough.

Lawyers representing hook-handed Hamza, who is serving a life sentence, have said that he would return to a British jail "in seconds".

He has complained that the "inhuman and degrading" conditions at the "supermax" prison in Florence, Colorado, "breaches his human rights". Hamza's lawyers have said he is "hopeful" about his appeal. The former imam had been confined at Belmarsh prison in south London when he was extradited to the US five years ago for terrorism and kidnapping offences. He has been kept mostly in solitary confinement in a special unit there.

Court documents submitted under his real name, Mostafa Kamel Mostafa, state his "cell sized cage" is unsuitable for a double amputee and that "the stumps in both arms are subject to regular outbreaks of infection, which have been increasing in severity.

My thoughts.....Hmm lets consider this.....NO.

2.....Vets performing life-saving surgery on a cat were shocked to find it had swallowed a seven-inch-long black rat whole. The pet had showed up lost at a house in Strensall, near York, its stomach was hard and swollen.

The nine-year-old cat was taken to the RSPCA, where checks revealed it was a microchipped family pet called Rosie. A scan showed a mass in the cat's stomach. During the operation the vet extracted a rat which was seven inches long minus the tail.

A RSPCA spokesman said: What is unusual is the fact it had eaten it whole and it has stayed whole.

My thoughts.....I'll never look at my sons family cat Tiggles in the same light again when child minding, when she wants to nuzzle up to me.

3.....For a man on a mission to ban petrol-and diesel-guzzling cars, Nicolas Hulot, the French environment minister, is fond of combustion engine vehicles-having no fewer than eight of them.

His green credentials have been tested after his fleet was revealed this weekend when the assets of President Emmanuel Macron's ministers were published by the High Authority for Transparency in Public Office. Mr Hulot, who last summer announced that France will outlaw the sale of all petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040, has a Land Rover he keeps at his holiday home in Corsica, a 30-year-old 2CV, a Peugeot, a Citroen, a Volkswagen camper van and a BMW. He also has a Motorboat and a BMW motorbike, both of which use fossil fuel.

The Minister responded by saying that he travels in his ministry's electric cars or on electric scooters "95% of the time" and that accusations that he was not practising what he preaches was "absurd". "I am all for transparency, but I am not for voyeurism or hairsplitting" he said.

The publication of ministers wealth also revealed that more than a third of Mr Macron's cabinet are millionaires, which is likely to do little to dispel accusations that the head of state is the "president of the rich".

My thoughts.....Do as I say...not as I do.

10. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This may come as a shock but I actually agree with something you've posted on this thread for once plym. Well both actually.

We do not want Hamza back but there is no real shock at the second revelation is there. Hypocracy in high office shock.....................

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Repairs to fix a leak on-board HMS Queen Elizabeth, the nation's new £3.1 billion aircraft carrier, will be paid for by the shipbuilders and not cost the taxpayer a penny, the Defence secretary has said.
    The Royal Navy has said repairs are due to be carried out to a faulty seal around a propeller shaft that is reportedly seeing the warship take in around 200 litres of water an hour.
    The vessel was commissioned and formally joined the fleet earlier this month, but the leak had been discovered earlier during sea trials of the 65,000-ton vessel. The Navy said the leak was small and would not stop the ship sailing on more trials next year.
    Money to replace the seal would come "from the contractors who built it", said Gavin Williamson, the Defence Secretary. "This isn't going to cost the taxpayer a penny," he said.
    Rear Admiral Chris Parry, a former director of operational capability at the Ministry of Defence, said the incident had led to embarrassing headlines, but "in reality this is not a big deal".
    He said: "You hear that it is taking in 200 litres of water an hour, that is actually three petrol tanks in your car, it is not very much. You expect to take some water in when you are operating a warship at sea."
    A spokesman for the Aircraft Carrier Alliance (ACA), a group of companies that built the ship, said the seal was known about before the carrier was commissioned and accepted into the Royal Navy. She said the vessel could be taken to sea, the problem is expected to take a couple of days to fix, and it should be rectified in the new year without any need to take the ship into dry dock.
    "It is normal practice for a volume of work and defect resolutions to continue following vessel acceptance," she said.
    The ACA has a six month period in which adjustments and "snagging issues" can be dealt with.
    Costs will be covered by the ACA and the industry bodies involved in the construction, including BAE Systems, Babcock and Thales.
    More than 10,000 people worked on the ship, which was built in sections at yards around the UK and transported to Rosyth, Fife, where it was assembled.

Beside this article was a Matt cartoon.........showing an aircraft carrier with two ratings walking down the flight deck...one says to the other "This is the first Royal Navy ship to have lifeboats on the inside".

12. notDistantGreen

Be fair, it's better than the Type 45 destroyers whose engines didn't work in warm weather.....

13. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

First ship I was on had torn sails. Bleddy disgusting shambles really.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Good job you slaves new how to row to the beat of the drum.

15. notDistantGreen

At last, some good news from the Brexit process. From October 2019, new passports WILL BE BLUE.

A triumph. Please note you'll still need to join the "Hostile Aliens" queue when you go to the Mediterranean sun for your summer hols.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It does seem that we could have kept it blue anyway and not go maroon....one EU country kept theirs very dark blue and never went maroon.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....The Union Flag is to be "eradicated" from Scottish Government buildings after Nicola Sturgeon's SNP administration ordered that it only be flown once a year.

The flag traditionally flies on dozens of public buildings on royal birthdays and anniverseries and on Remembrance Sunday, but this will now happen only on the latter.

The flag was hoisted on 15 occasions last year, but in future the Scottish Saltire will fly alone for most of them.

The change will mean the Union flag will be displayed less often on official buildings than the rainbow Gay Pride flag, which is scheduled to fly four times for a range of LGBT events.

Westminster MP's said the guidance issued by the First Minister's civil servants was "outrageous" and accused the SNP of "small mindedness" and a "tawdry attempt to sow more division"

The update guidance states that the Union flag should no longer be flown beside the Saltire for 14 royal anniversaries, including the birthdays of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.

(Part of a Daily Telegraph article 24/01/18).

My thoughts.....Fair enough, we'll stop giving them hand outs if they don't want to be part of the UK....treasonable act personally....off with the woman's head.

2.....Russia's culture ministry yesterday withdrew permission for the release of British film ...The Death of Stalin...after officials and top arts figures labelled it offensive and "extremist".

Armando Iannucci's comedy, which had a world premiere in September, takes a satirical look at the power scramble after Stalin's 1953 death and includes actors playing historical figures such as Georgy Zhucov, Nikita Khrushchev and Vyacheslav Molotov.

The ministry said that the film's release was cancelled after officials found it contained "information whose distribution is legally banned in Russia.

The Anglo-French film was set for a limited release in cinemas from Thursday, which prompted a wave of protests, from conservative figures although it received good reviews in Russian broadsheets.

On Monday, Vladimir Medinsky, the Culture Minister, held a private screening for officials and film directors.

Yelena Drapeko, deputy head of the lower house of parliament's culture committee, told the RBK news site that she had "never seen anything so disgusting in my life".

My thoughts.....I assume Yelena never came in contact personally with Joseph Stalins brand of justice....of course she hasn't....she'd be dead if she had.

18. notDistantGreen

Within the first 24 hours, Phil Neville has found out what it's like to manage the England Women's football team.

Despite having 500 Premier League games, 6 PL Champions, 3 FA Cup winners and one Champion League medals and 59 full England caps to his name, he's been criticised for lacking the necessary experience. Would a National League team have looked at it that way? That's about the level we're talking about I imagine.

He's also been accused of making derogatory remarks about women in the past, which won't go away for sure.

Walk away now Phil, while you still have all your kit. Let them find a woman to do the job.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I splashed a traffic warden over thirty years ago.....I'm starting to look over my shoulder and worrying about it now....the horrors of being politically correct is becoming worst than McCarthyism back in the 1950's in the USA....when they were looking for reds under the bed all the time.

20. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Plym you never mentioned the gentlemans club at the Dorchester.. or the Pervs club <party>:emoticon-0172-mooni