1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our World Today

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

At least 56,000 foreign nationals, including criminals and illegal migrants are on the run in Britain.

They should have been deported but the Home Office has lost track of them.

Potentially dangerous offenders who have given officials the slip include those who were held but then released into the community. A damning report by an independent inspector on the security shambles made "difficult reading" ministers admitted yesterday.

It warned there was "little evidence" that effective action was being taken to locate the bulk of absconders, with nearly a third of planned deportations failing because of last ditch challenges.

Charlie Elphicke, Tory MP for Dover, said last night: "This report is of serious concern. We cannot have a situation where convicted criminals and illegal immigrants are free to roam the streets.

"We need to act urgently to locate these people and bring them to book. Any for foreign offenders found to have absconded should be booted out of Britain."
    The report will pile further pressure on Home Secretary Amber Rudd to pour more resources into the over-stretched Border Force budget.

My thoughts.....I'll give them a clue....have a look under the M4 flyover in West London, a little "township" keeps re-appearing, as soon as it is moved on they come back again....there will be a few there for sure.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's quite funny really plym. It was apparently ok to allow the jails to be emptied in Iraq whilst overthrowing the government there. No concerns about thieves and murderers or any other sort of convict. But then again we did that so no problem. Wouldn't have happened if old Nigel Farrage was at the helm. Lets start a campaign to bring back Brexit Boy.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

He's still winding them up in Brussel's.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I was in WH Smiths just after they opened at 8.30am this Saturday morning....a shopper was already having a rant at the Stores Manager, because the Post Office wasn't open....whatever the manager said wouldn't calm down the shopper.

I have always accepted that the Post Office opens at 9am, going back for ever and a day, that has been literally written in stone all my life.
    In recent years, especially around here, Post Offices have been relocating into WH Smiths....who of course open at 8.30am.....but this customer wouldn't accept that the Post Office is not part of WH Smiths....and it should be open at 8.30am.....it's not the first time I've seen people walk in to the PO part of Smiths before 9am and are surprised that they are not open.......life is so stressful for some people.

5. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

I know going back years but remember the poll tax riots.....this is far serious today and nobody says boo to a goose. We have lost a generation because of "PC".

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I've been watching all this angst being chucked out at MPs who have been naughty boys in the past and it being chucked about in the press. Some of the stuff being shouted from the roof tops now is to say the least a bit naff. "He put his hand on my knee 2 years ago". Well it must have frightened the **** out of the person so much it took 2 years to report it to the world. I mean shock horror there is a story of MPs being a bit salacious and blokes making suggestions to ladies. Even I've had a ladies hand on my knee in my time. Didn't know it was considered harrassment of any kind so of course didn't complain at the time. Men and women working together and there is no banter from either side??????????????? Will never happen. There is a world of difference with somebody trying to force themselves on somebody and opposite sexes making comments to each other. Some of the stuff being thrown out there at the moment is laughable. But, the much bigger picture is.................has anyone heard of Brexit this last week or so? I haven't and this crap is just burying the subject. Ideal if you're an MP isn't it.

7. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Half page story, with picture in the Sunday paper about one Conservative MP (Andrew Bridgen) who has grassed to the papers about another Conservative MP (Daniel Poulter). Apparently 3 anonymous female MP's told Bridgen that Poulter had wandering hands. Mr Brigden leapt into action by having a quiet word off the record with the Whips. Astonishingly, the Whips didn't act on the vital evidence (or second hand hearsay as it's known in the legal profession). Mr. Brigden has continued to fight for the ladies' honour by not mentioning it again for 7 years until he saw a bandwagon passing by loaded with free personal publicity.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Every well known male in every walk of life will soon be accused of something and the world will be totally ruled by women, who have been traumatized by some male who glanced at her cleavage from 100 yards away or brushed against her on the rush hour underground when packed in like sardines....another version of political correctness gone mad.....the genuine cases will get lost in the log jam of accusations.

I'll come clean guv...I looked at Margaret Thatchers neck thirty years ago....and wished I could get my hands around it..... and throttle the life out of her, but her best buddies did it for me in the end.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That's the stupid thing though plym. the real cases WILL get lost in all this. There are people all of us know who are a bit OTT when it comes to remarks and even putting hands on people and they are a bit creepy. I have met some in my time and they are both male and female because some of them could do with a lesson on propriety. I don't go much on that sort either and I would hope the person getting touched replies with a flat hand travelling at speed head high. But, in the main there has been banter and jokes between the sexes both ways for ever and a day. Nothing at all wrong with that in my book given the time and place being appropriate. If you take any kind of banter out of conversations at work or otherwise between them then the work place in particular will become a horrible place to be. You have to have some light relief during a working day as long as it doesn't become over the top. I still haven't heard Brexit mentioned for over a week now.

10. notDistantGreen

Funny 'cos I think about Brexit every day. Lots of bad news emanating from the City, office space being rented in Frankfurt, places booked at international schools there to accommodate the kids of senior people moving from London........ But still, what do we care about the economy compared to stopping a few Polish builders working here and paying taxes?

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Look notdistant you have been told and told that Brexit will not mean any problems for the UK. Stop spreading this gloom and doom and concentrate on finding out if anyone pinched Anne Widdicombe on the left or right cheek. It's far more important don't you know.

I have a theory that a lot of MPs will try to get fired or something so that they don't have to deal with Brexit and therefore can't get blamed.

12. notDistantGreen

I'm sorry, I will blind myself to the obvious in future.

I'll say one thing, anyone who pinched Anne Widdicombe has clearly been blind for some time. Now that Gina Miller on the other hand..... Am I allowed to say that?

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO..........That's a NO.........your showing all the attributes of an MP....Luckily for you Ann Widdicombe isn't an MP any longer......how did she cope with Strictly.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....People in England are the happiest they have been since records began, as evidence begins to suggest they are becoming "more relaxed about Brexit".

Figures from the Office for National Statistics show that average happiness levels in the year to June 2017 rose to 7.52 out of 10, up from 7.46 in 2016 and the highest since the data was first collected in 2011. The proportion of "very happy" people rose from 31.39 in 2012 to 35.08 this year.

Average life satisfaction grew from 7.43 to 7.69, with more than 80% reporting high or very high levels. More than a third report feeling their life is very worthwhile, with just 3.7% giving a score less than 4 out of 10.

But while happiness in England is higher than ever, Northern Ireland saw its average score fall slightly from 7.74 to 7.64. Life satisfaction also fell, from 7.88 to 7.86. while in Scotland it rose 0.01 to 7.69.

Explaining its report, the ONS said the changes could be down to an improved economy and cited evidence that fewer people seemed worried about the effect Brexit would have on their standard of living.

Data collected by polling company Ipsos MORI earlier this year found that 40% of people believe leaving the EU will make no difference to their standard of living, up from 24% in October 2016. The ONS said this was "possibly implying that as time goes on, people are becoming more relaxed about the implications of Brexit.

It added: " The employment rate is at its highest level since comparable records began in 1971 and the employment rate is at its joint lowest since 1975," But the report added: " Although article 50 has been triggered, we have not yet left the EU and hence the implications on the daily lives of people in the UK remain to be seen," It also noted that overall anxiety levels in the UK had risen in the last two years.

The ONS found that Craven in North Yorkshire was the happiest place in the UK, the first time an English place has come top since 2011.

My thoughts.....People such as....Tony Blair, Kenneth Clark, Nick Clegg, Vince Cable should stop undermining this countries future...all they are doing is harming our bargaining position with the EU.......that should be a treasonable offence.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  15. notDistantGreen

Fewer people concerned about Brexit? That's because half the people that voted for it can't remember that far back and are annoyed because it's still in the news when they want to get back to Strictly Celebrity X-Factor Get Me Dancing.

What annoys me are these Paradise Papers. Let's review the story today.

1. Prince Charles is a well known environmentalist with a string of interests such as talking plants, organic kilts and Georgian Architecture Everywhere.
    2. It's therefore unsurprising he'd support an investment in a company preserving the rain forest, run by someone he knows personally.
    3. There is very little rain forest in the UK so it's no shock this investment is offshore.
    4. Having invested, it's unsurprising that after a bit of inside info, he'd lobby in support the idea of using carbon trading credits to plant trees in the Amazon. Nobody disputes this is a jolly good idea.
    5. It may or may not be that the carbon tax changes benefited the company, nobody knows, but yes HRH made a profit on the investment. That's not illegal last time I checked.
    6. There is no accusation any of this was in any way illegal or that any tax was avoided. If there was any conflict of interest, it was all in support of a sound environmental proposition.
    7. SO WHY THE F**K IS IT ALL OVER THE BBC NEWS, APART FROM THE FACT THEY WANT TO BOOST PANORAMA'S AUDIENCE?

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Pretti Patel resigned before being fired. Should have been fired first mind you. Old Boris the stupid should follow suit given his latest blunder. The man is a moron of the first order. At this rate of attrition there won't be enough left to form a Cabinet. My money is on another, yes, yet another, election before long. The masses will then vote in the Labour Party and old Jeremy will have to do something real in politics for a change instead of just spout a load of ideology. Then they will be in charge of Brexit. If we weren't fecked before we certainly will be then. I think I might just move to France or Belgium before it's too late.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

In the 1980's they where saying that MP's weren't as good as they were in the 1960's.....now they are saying that the present MP's aren't as good as the ones in the 1980's.....where the hell does that lead to in twenty years time.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Brilliant cartoon in the Daily Telegraph today (10th Nov)....shows a sinking lifeboat with the Tory party in it.
    Most of the big names can be identified....Boris taking up more room than anyone else...Philip Hammond bailing water into the boat not out....Penny Mordaunt climbing into the boat....Priti Patel floating away on her suitcase.....Michael Fallon seen in the distance in a rubber ring....Jacob Rees-Mogg holding onto the outside of the boat watching.....Mrs May sitting in the bow with a megaphone... shouting "one in,one out".....while sharks continually circle the boat.

Quite sad but not to far off the truth at the moment.

19. notDistantGreen

What a state we are in.... and much worse to come.

May is trying to insert a fixed Brexit date in the Great Repeal Bill. How can it be that the British Constitution allows a Government to bind Parliament to acceptance of a treaty when the terms of that treaty are not known? It doesn't is the answer, Parliament is sovereign, which is supposedly something the Brexit vote was about and any such attempt must be voted down on principle.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....£980 MILLION A WEEK, OUR TRUE EU BILL......That's why we must get out fast.

Membership of the EU is costing Britain almost £1billion a week, a new study has revealed.

It puts the true cost of Brussels rule at £980million-almost treble the disputed figure of £350million quoted by Boris Johnson in the referendum campaign and displayed on the side of the Vote Leave battle bus.

The revelation came as Britain and EU negotiators began the sixth round of Brexit talks in the Belgian capital yesterday. And it was welcomed by Eurosceptics who said it showed why we need to leave the European Union as quickly as possible.

With Brexit Secretary David Davis and Chief EU negotiator Michel Barnier due to meet today, the Government last night underlined its commitment to Brexit with a plan to include an exact time and date when Britain will leave in the EU Withdrawal Bill - 11pm British time on March 29th, 2019.

The study on the cost of EU membership, by leading City analyst Bob Lyddon, strongly supports the view of Brexit campaigners that the UK should not pay the EU a big divorce bill of up to £78billion.

Mr Lyddon's analysis takes into account the money paid directly to the EU budget each week. The Office for National Statistics says this is £267million once the UK's rebate is paid back to us and money spent by the EU on projects here is included.

However, he has also added £12billion a year lost to the Exchequer through legal tax avoidance schemes which result from Britain being a member of the EU.

Multinational Companies such as Google and Amazon run their finances through Ireland, Holland and Luxembourg and the only way these loopholes can be closed is by the UK leaving the bloc.

Mr Lyddon has also calculated that the annual net cost of EU migrants - once the tax they pay is deducted from benefits paid out - is £30billion a year.

His figure excludes tariff payments collected by the EU from the rest of the world, which will instead go to the Treasury when Britain is out.

There are also extra payments to the EU such as the £2billion given by British taxpayers to its foreign aid budget which are not officially designated as payments to Brussels.

Raising concerns about Theresa May's plans to go for a transition period which ties Britain to Brussels for at least another two years, Mr Lyddon describes it as a stab in the back for UK voters.

Senior Tory backbencher Peter Bone said: This analysis is much closer to the real cost of our EU membership. Almost a Billion pounds a week is serious money and obviously the sooner we are out of the EU the better.

Eurosceptic Tory MEP David Campbell Bannerman said: This report shows we actually needed three Vote Leave buses in the referendum campaign.

This is money that is being diverted from the NHS, education, schools, defence and public services.

"We have the Budget soon and imagine what the Chancellor could do with an extra £10billion a year - let alone the £50billion that these figures suggest".

Mrs May was reported last night to be ready to raise Britain's £18billion "divorce settlement" offer to the EU in a bid to break the deadlock in the negotiations.

The EU insists the divorce bill must be agreed before talks can move on to trade deals, the UK officials were said to be working on a new financial pledge to help nudge the process forward at next month's leaders' summit.

Britain's rumoured change in stance was said to follow a softening of Tory MP's hostility to pay Brussels any money, with some leading Eurosceptics suggesting a higher payment would be a "small price" to pay for independence and a good trade deal.

Daily Express 10/11/2017.

My thoughts.....Maybe the EU was asking for more money because it knew better than we did, how much money a week was being bled from the UK to prop up a Federal EU.

2.....Just when you're about to despair of humanity, along comes a story that lightens the heart.
    A car park operator, no less, has ripped up a 107-year-old's parking ticket - and these are not people usually associated with an act of charity. Well done, ParkingEye, you've cheered us all up.

My thoughts.....Her relative was the driver...(her invalid pass) they were 13 minutes overdue...they had been out celebrating her being one of the oldest people in the UK.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017