1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our work in the transfer market is done

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Mantis, Jul 12, 2018.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

So would i. He is also at a critical age where he could go either way. If Emery and Iwobi click and he develops his game in the right direction, he could turn into a top player. But unless he gets the chance we won't know. Also Wenger is a different manager, maybe he needs more of a disciplinarian like Emery to get the best out of him? The same goes for our other players young or older, there is always room for improvement and sometimes people will react more favorably to different methods and interactions.

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Wenger’s approach was ‘go out there and express yourself’. I’m not saying that he didn’t work on the specifics of coaching, but how many times did we see our players flounder when plan A faltered ?

What is like to see Emery do, is really work hard on each player’s specific skills and drill them into their specific roles and jobs. I think he’s got the potential to get a lot more out of these players, because let’s be honest a lot of them were just coasting under Wenger, without any real incentive to up their game.

TheBear, lazarus20000 and BobbyD like this.
  3. lazarus20000

Wenger's approach was fine when the players were established and knew what to do, but sometimes players don't. As you mentioned about plan A ,when we came across a particular team that countered our style of play, we couldn't adapt or the players didn't have that extra grit to.

4. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I think at this point it unlikely Ramsey will stay. Listening to the most recent interview.

How hard can it be to agree to a wage package? I can only think his agent is pushing for very high wages. I think Arsenal need to force the issue on this one. If he is not going to sign he needs to be sold and replaced. Dont just let him leave on a free.

5. lazarus20000

Agents have become a virus upon modern football. Ramsey is reported to be on a £110k salary https://www.totalsportek.com/money/arsenal-player-salaries/. Heaven help me understand how he's on such a huge wage. If anything he needs to have a pay cut than a pay increase. If he left Arsenal now he would be lucky to get £70k a week and no top 5 team would buy him. Don't get me wrong, he is a good player but isn't no way worth that amount a week.

It would be a travesty if he got a pay rise, but this is modern football so anything is possible. Problem is, selling him would be difficult as no one would match those wages, so he'll just stay and go on a free when his contracts over. This means we can't get another player to replace him either. Ramsey is in the driving seat here whether we like it or not.

6. TheBear

True - Ramsey would need a substantial increase in output (goals, chances created and assists) to be worth the '200k or so' they are pushing for.

Aubamayang's on that kind of wage because he will give us a ****-ton of goals. Mkhitarian will give us goals and assist galore.
    Ramsey needs to consistently perform like he did in 2013 to be worth such high wages.

I am interested though to see what Emery can bring out of him. One of his main weakness has been positioning and I think he will correct this.

7. TheBear

Also I hope Lucas Perez is given a chance this Season (not sold/loaned) I think he's an excellent offensive utility player.

8. TheBear

If we get close to Mkhitarians best form next Season I think we will be WAY closer to the top of the league than people expect. This is a guy who had a 29 assist Season followed by a 32 assist/21 goal Season at Dortmund.

On top of that Auba is guaranteed to smash in the goals and we can probabaly expect an improvement from Lacazette and a fully committed Ozil.

All in all I think offensively we will see an improvement - If we improve defensively also then good times!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  9. BobbyD

BobbyD President

10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

He had a really good world cup and had Ronaldo in his pocket in that game against Portugal. Been really impressed of what I've seen of him so far and he is exactly the sort of signing we needed to make. Xhaka and Ramsey like to get forward and can neglect their defensive duties at times, but Torreria looks like a dyed in the wool defensive player who loves stay deep and mop up oppo attacks. He can also pass too, so he's not just somebody who breaks up play.

Hopefully with some protection for the back four (or three) the attacking players can concentrate more on doing what they do best, although Emery's style is for the whole team to press when we don't have the ball.

11. lazarus20000

I was impressed with him in the world cup, he was a bundle of energy and looked assured on the ball. He is the type of player we've missed for a long while and he will transform the way we play now. He will bring some steel in our midfield that's been missing, but also keep the ball moving. I think he will be one of the signings of the season, similar to what Kante did for Chelsea.

12. Ultimate Warrior

please log in to view this image

13. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

14. Ultimate Warrior

15. TheBear

BFSj9bXCEAEj8n1.jpg

16. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

In terms of transfers coming into the club, I think we are done.

Have to say. If this is the case, then it's been an ok transfer window - albeit better than I anticipated - but still isn't enough to compete on all fronts.

We are still a left-back, another centre-half, a creative midfielder and an out-and-out winger away from challenging IMO. That's 4 players needed.

But if I'm right and this current squad is what we're left with, then let's just see where it takes us.

To be honest, Emery has a bit of a 'free hit' with this season. It'll be his first year getting to coach the players differently and learn different techniques/methods, whilst experimenting with the set of players he has.

Whilst a lot of us are happy that we're seeing signs of change in many different aspects, it's worth noting that Emery isn't a miracle worker - it may take time before we get to see his stamp of authority on this team.

Diego likes this.
  17. lazarus20000

I think it's a pretty good window too. We've reinforced in areas that we've been lacking and this should help us stay with the chasing pack. I agree he has a free hit this season and barring a complete disaster e.g. ending up in the bottom half or relegated, he should be fine.

I also think the real pressure will be on Pep, Klopp and Maureen to win one of the big trophies. Maureen is already making excuses and I won't be surprised that he'll leg it before the season ends. Klopp has to win something now after bedding in and playing fancy football. Pep has the pressure of maintaining it.

Who knows, maybe we can sneak in when no one's looking...

18. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

While he's got time to get going, I would like to see at least something quickly. Klopp immediately improved Liverpool significantly when he took over. If the entire season shows no improvement on last year, it won't be that encouraging. But I can't see it being anything other than better.

19. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Chambers has gone to Fulham on loan. Not happy with that. We're being linked with Domagoj Vida which I'm not happy about either. Why not just keep Chambers?

20. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Yup, this is a very poor decision if we go ahead with it.

It's not like we're spoiled for choice at centre-half.

Koscielny has a long-term injury.
    Mustafi is erratic and unreliable.
    Sokratis is new to the Premier League, so is a massive gamble.
    Mavrapanos is a kid and has barely played in pre-season.
    Holding is still very young, but after the season he had last year, remains to be seen whether he will make the grade. But even he hasn't played that much in pre-season.

Chambers would have at least been our 3rd choice CB and, across all the competitions we are in, would have got plenty of game time.

Out of our current ~available~ CBs, he is one of our most experienced in Premier League football.

It makes far more sense to keep him, rather than loan him out and then buy a 30-year-old for £25m~ or so, who would also be an unknown quantity in this division.