1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our season is on the line as Crewe come chugging into Town!

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Nov 26, 2021.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

It comes down to whether we think football is always logical. Sometimes the margin between success and failure in football is truly an inch under the bar or hitting the bar. Not just in cup matches.

If we had won a couple more games everyone would be buzzing. And the same narrow margins affect the players and ongoing performances too.

Most people would say Gareth Southgate is doing a great job, but he got the tactics and subs against Italy all wrong. Still he couldn’t have got closer to winning the thing without winning it.

I reckon it’s the same with Paul Cook right now. We mustn’t let the emotions of our disappointment get in the way of seeing the progress that’s been made over how we were playing under Paul Lambert, Paul Hurst or Mick McCarthy.

2. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

The 1 player I would like in the next transfer window is another centre back to play alongside Edmundson but with a bit of experience to marshall the back 4 which I don’t think we’ve got at the moment. The chap from Luton who we tried to sign would have been perfect - good age and a captain to boot. Nsiala still frightens me every time he gets the ball. Other than that, we need to sort out the goalkeeping situation, Hladky is a bust, not sure if we can sign Walton permenantly or not and then get the right player in alongside Morsy - Fraser did do some nice things on Sunday

itfcptc and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  3. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I really liked Burgess the first couple of games but he seems to have fallen out of favour, so if Nsiala is first choice it appears we need improvements jn that area.

In terms of quality, I think the squad is decent enough in every position but there's lots of places still up for grabs not many have nailed the position. 2 which have are loan players so that's a concern, particularly if Bonne is injured or loan is terminated probably more so than the goalkeeping position, as whilst Hladky hasn't shown great form he must have something about him and Holy is a good enough back up. LB is also an area of slight concern but Coulson looked decent enough with half decent back ups.

The area which concerns me most is getting another defensive midfielder.

Dare I say the type of player we need would he a Norwood type player and a Downes type player

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  4. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

And Norwood scored in the Under 23s yesterday v Watford, 4-1!

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

There’s loads of room for improvement even for League One level. Our centre backs defend well but can’t pass. Our goalkeeper’s distribution is pitiful. Our wingers are flaky. We are short in the striking department.

I would have though Carroll is the cover for Morsy.

6. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

I too liked Burgess, and I expect we will see him playing tonight.