1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our Great Club!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by lewebster, May 28, 2014.

1. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

People called me a glory hunter when I started supporting Saints in '83 (rather than my Dad's Pompey.) It wasn't until the Premier money ruined competition that it turned from glory hunter to 'idiot' :) Back to glory hunter now though.

Wierd...My 9 year old son is mad on Saints too. watched all the games with me (on streams) since the championship on the big telly. celebrated each goal, each win, promotion, survival, improvement by my side :)

Its been funny to see the change from those championship days when his school mates would mock him with the 'Who?' which upon Premiership return changed to 'they're rubbish' which seem to have changed just a 'your choice?' these days.

Its funny that in the past couple of months when he mentions Southampton to other kids parents (he has aspergers so latches on like a leach non stop talking) the comments are 'A few wins and everybody is a Saints fan'.

I hope to see a few more Saints shirts around on the kids in the next couple of years :)

2. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Ooh, can we start singing, "here for Southampton, you're only here for Southampton...." at away games now?

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I think we should sing that to United at SMS

4. KillerCephalopod

KillerCephalopod Active Member

Yep, I had something similar yesterday - one of our students was borrowing 4-4-2 magazine for her husband & I asked her who he supported the answer was "Southampton, even though we've never lived in Southampton" in an Eastern European accent. after a short chat, the student left and my colleague remarked "I bet it's only because they're doing well at the moment".
    Bear in mind I live in Southampton, this is a college in Southampton and my colleague lives just outside Southampton. The bloke is more likely to have started supporting us when Pahars joined than being a glory hunter, but evidently even local casual supporters (my colleague's husband is a Saints supporter so she takes an intrest indirectly) are starting to think distant fans are glory hunters!

5. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

6. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

My young distant relative who I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum, and who is/has been a fervent Chelsea supporter, actually looked up from his iPad and spoke to me over the weekend about Saints. I was helping to move his Mum to another address at the time. Whereas before he had spoken of his intense dislike of Southampton FC he now says he wants to see them do well. I reminded him that, if I was able to get the tickets, I was going to take him to St Marys to watch Saints beat Chelsea on 28th December. He jumped up shouting greeaattt..!!! [he'd forgotten, amongst all that iPad, XBox One, etc... lifestyle]

I'd quite forgotten how young minds can do complete turnarounds and yet not outwardly show that anything has changed. :)

7. MountwaySaint

MountwaySaint Active Member

"Manure glory hunters come over to us
    Time to get on the Southampton bus"

8. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

9. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member