1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our Best 11 ?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by The Little General, Dec 8, 2018.

1. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Evening Lads and Lasses,
    We're heading towards a fully fit squad, whats your best team, given they are all match fit, and where would you look to improve n January ?
    Mine-
    McLaughlin

Matthews
    Baldwin
    Flanagan
    James

Gooch
    Power
    Honeyman

Watmore
    Wyke
    McGeady

Merry Xmas to all, its so nice to have our Club back .
    Another centre back in January would do for me.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

McLaughlin

Matthews Flanagan Baldwin Hume

Power Honeyman

Gooch Maguire Watmore

Maja

In terms of the transfer window we need cover for CB and I'm concerned that Wyke is going to be a sicknote. That was his reputation before we signed him and he's barely played for us so he's lived up to it. It seems like a long shot to count on him playing regularly and I think we need to assume he won't.

3. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Difficult one this...Hume, Love and Robson I don't think we'll see much off before March.
    Keeper picks himself and so does the back four.
    Will Oviedo go in the January window along with Catts?
    There's going to be some disappointed players when they are all back.
    I had high hopes for Wyke, but shame about his fitness record however in his defence the tackle that injured him was a red card all day if it had been an outfield player but that Keeper got away with it.
    I'd persevere with young Maja even when Wyke returns but it's midfield that were strong numbers wise.
    Jack Ross has got his work cut out in the next few weeks but it's a nice problem to have.

4. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

We are stronger in midfield than at the back, numbers wise. JR's main task in the window is to add some balance here imo, the versatility of players like O'nien, Maguire and fingers crossed Watmore and Wyke coming back guns blazing, help out up front, so we might get away with the squad that we have now. Picking our best eleven is a tough ask, have we or any other club ever had the luxury of a fully fit squad, I doubt it, ideally you need two players for each position and a manager who can think on his feet, we are not that far away tbh. Interesting times ahead.

5. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Posted this before
    5C4AFCF8-F3C1-4ACA-98B8-E45C81E4141B.jpeg

It’s a difficult one I can’t pick it
    Leave it to ross

6. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

--------------------- McLaughlin ---------------------

Matthews - Flanagan - Baldwin - Oviedo

-------------- McGeough --- Power --------------

-- Watmore --------- McGuire ------ Gooch --

----------------------------- Maja ---------------------

I still think McGeough will come good for us.

7. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

That’s how difficult it is
    No Mcgeady and he’s storming this league

clockstander likes this.
  8. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

On what basis do people think Wyke should be above Maja in the pecking order?

Wyke has been injured all season and Maja has scored 11 and assisted 2 goals and its only just December.

9. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I had high hopes for Wyke but as the season has panned out I now see him as an ideal sub for young Maja.
    Save Majas legs later in games, bringing a big lad on gives the team another dimension and he should be raring to go as well.
    Wyke and Watmore getting 20 a game should tear up this league when the opposition is tiring.
    I certainly wouldn't drop Maja for Wyke, I have had my doubts about his overall workrate but he deserves to stay in the team because of his goals.
    just a thought.

10. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I have more hope than expectation about him - have seen so little to convince me so far sadly.

Cattermole is in our best 11 instead at the minute. Hume, IMO, is the best LB at the club but, sadly, got that injury. James is better than Oviedo defensively but Oviedo much better going forward.

Have to say it's nice to have these problems picking a best 11! Means we have options. Maja has hit a bit of a wall recently but still our best first choice striker from what I've seen.

I'd go mostly with yours but change like below:

Matthews - Flanagan - Baldwin - James

-------------- Cattermole --- Power --------------

-- Gooch------------ McGuire ------ McGeady--

----------------------------- Maja ---------------------

Hefty fullback likes this.

11. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

No Honeyman, in this team, I rate him but thats just my opinion, your team looks a good one and it would be interesting to see it in action. Looking ahead I would like to see Robson, Mumba, Honeyman and Embleton form a midfield, all are capable imo. it just goes to show how strong we are in midfield which augurs well for the club and its future. We are certainly managing without stars like McNair and Rodders. <laugh>

RTB likes this.
  12. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

No Watmore? I can't have McGeady in the team, I think he's got a **** attitude and bit of a lazy bastard.

I've seen James 3 times this season, twice he's been bang average and once he was poor (Peterborough)

I love, Gooch. He's really won me around this season.

13. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

For me the back five picks itself, and I'd have young Reece in ahead of Oviedo for continuity and a settled back four who seem to 'know' each other now.

Catts and Power is a 'no-brainer' 'cos Catts has undoubtedly been our best midfielder so far this season and Max has 'class' that will show when he settles. I, too, think that McGeouch will 'come good' but he's not my first choice there.

Assuming that we'd use the formation shown in the earlier posts, Goochy Coochy Coo and Ginger Dunc (an unknown at this stage, so I'm going from history) with their energy/reliability either side of Maguire (who has similar 'class' to Power) would be very effective. Vince mentioned McGeady 'storming the league' but he's inconsistent and would be more effective as an impact sub. (unless he shows more consistency (and reliability) in which case I'd play him ahead of Dunc. and switch Goochy to the right with him on the left.

Maja, as far as we know, is a far greater threat than Charlie Boy ('cos we haven't really seen him), who would (I think) be another blinking good option from the bench.

We've got a few good options from the bench, at this level, I think, so the squad doesn't need much tinkering.

My first team choice . . . .

Matthews - Flanagan - Baldwin - James
    -------------- Cattermole --- Power --------------
    -- Dunc------------ Maguire ----------- Gooch--
    ------------------------ Maja --------------------------

January . . . . I'd look to bring in at least one centre half, 'cos Micky and Mike above, although settled, aren't solid, Loovens is decent but relatively old, and Ozturk . . . . well <yikes> is an appropriate description, I think.

Midfield is definitely okay, and I'd like another 'proper' centre forward that can fill a void on the pitch rather than in the treatment room, 'cos I'm worried about Charlie Boy's long term fitness.

That's my view :emoticon-0105-wink:

RTB likes this.
  14. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

I think that's just it! We have players capable of doing the jobs when others aren't available. Good position to be in without a doubt! Have to say I forgot about Honeyman - he might be one that gets under my radar as I haven't been that impressed with him this season so far - not sure he should be captain (Power is better at that IMO) Just goes to show how different people can see things so differently - but, as you say, how strong we are - still haven't seen anything to make me rate Robson consistently! He's only had one good first team game (and, as a person, is a bit of a dickhead too after the way I saw him have a go at my Dad - that may cloud my judgement form wise!)

clockstander likes this.
  15. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Only reason I've left Watmore out is as I've seen him play 62 minutes in 2 years! He looked decent enough against a low league side. Watmore that we had before his injuries - I'd absolutely have him starting. McGeady on current form - he's been outstanding recently!

I quite like James to be honest (he was rubbish against Peterborough mind) but he's won me over of late