1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It may be the use a small amount of energy but amongst other things electricity bears all the costs of green energy... windfarms, solar and the grid to connect them all up. It's not cheap but it contains a proportion of zero or low emission sources, which is why they make you use it by making you think you are saving money.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

All I will say is that my annual bill is less than £1000.

3. notDistantGreen

But that wire running from your kitchen window into the neighbour's garage just looks plain ugly....

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2018
  4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Too technical for sensible I think......Hold on, you seem to know a lot about such things notDistant.......:emoticon-0116-evilg.

5. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Do you not have gas at the property Senssible :confused:

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I do Joe but it doesn't run through any pipes...................it's just an age thing and I always appologise.

Nobody has a garage in my street just hard standings. The street light is right outside though and I would never run an overhead cable.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have just read an article on the beeb football site regarding what clubs in the premiership got paid from TV funds this season. If I said that the lowest amount was something like £94m and the highest was just a fraction short of £150m. I knew they got a lot but not that sort of cash. The first thing to note is the difference between the top 6 and the bottom club. How can it be a level playing field that one club gets more than £50m more than another and that is considered fair. The figures are staggering. No wonder owners in the Championship risk ruin trying to get their club into it. It's obscene is what it is.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Going for our normal Saturday morning walk up High Elms nature reserve....should be able to park the car more easily today with the royal wedding taking place....we'll catch up with it later watching one of the half million repeats we will be subjected to.

PS......we're not republicans.....we're royalist that feel we don't have to be glued to the telly this morning.

9. notDistantGreen

I'm just studying the 8 pages in the Times which list the order of service. Also waiting nervously to find out who designed the dress. Meanwhile, in the real world.....

Also a Royalist and wish them all the best but detest the press coverage. We all know they'd rip them to shreds if a foot is put wrong. Hypocrites.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Whoever designed anything for the wedding....will become extremely rich on it ...if they can mass produce look-a-like fashion .....hello China can you hear me.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Went out....................saw nothing of it. Result.

12. notDistantGreen

You can't help laughing at Arsenal can you? Wenger had the nerve to say in one of his various farewell addresses that the club should give more young British players a chance. That takes some cheek after turning out sides with no British players at all, season after season. Now they've appointed another foreign manager...

13. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Well he wont be there long as he has only 50 million for transfers.. apparently this is why arteta never took the job <doh>

What is he going to buy with that if he wants to challenge the top he needs 500 million.

Academy is the answer for all these clubs. inc spurs.. who do have a few young english players..

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

If they all grew their own players and didn't spend multi trillions of squids in buying them, what else would they do with all of the multi trillion squids they get each season? I do find it ironic that Wenger talks about English young players though as notdistant is right about the numbers in the Arsenal match day squad at times. Mind you there have been games where virtually no English players have been on the pitch or bench at all.

15. notDistantGreen

Interesting series of Tweets have appeared analysing Newcastle United's finances during their season in the Championship.

All quite detailed but the thing that jumps out is that only 4 Championship made positive EBITDA. This metric eliminates non-cash costs and player sales and purchases.

The main drivers in football would be income from TV and through the gates on the one hand and player wages on the other and so 16 of the 20 didn't even make a surplus at that live or die level!!

0p

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  16. notDistantGreen

Just saw the Information Commissioner on the BBC talking about the new data protection rules. She said that where there was an ongoing relationship, there was no need to do anything. The 2 examples she gave were "one's gardener or cleaner". Glad to see she's tuned into the lives of ordinary people.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

"ones gardener or cleaner"....that sounds like Mrs Plym to me.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Just watched tonight's Champ League final. Oh dear who'd be a keeper. They are still showing him wandering around in a dazed tearful state. Nowhere to hide as a player in his position. Thought Liverpool started very well but without looking much like scoring. Got to score if you are on top or you get punished as we all know too well. Ramos does Salah and I do believe he did on purpose and Liverpool looked a different side when he had to go off. Cue Keeper making a complete feck up. They claw themselves back into it by sheer guts only for Gareth Bale to come on and within a couple of minutes score a blinder of a goal. He will get all of the headlines tomorrow. Poor old Ronaldo must hate him. Pressure once more applied by Liverpool only for the Keeper to make a second complete feck up. Game over and Gareth Bale had his second. No chance Liverpool were coming back from that. For me it was entertaining enough. Real Madrid did a fair bit of falling down as if shot but you would expect that. Ramos did his job and got rid of their biggest threat and changed the game. Job done all around.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Saw the highlights.....not a good night to have a mare of a match as a goalkeeper....a German one at that.

Bale was still complaining after the match had finished....because he didn't start....just put his value up a notch or two.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just had an uncanny hour or so weather wise.

Continual thunder and lightening coming from all directions.....more use to a loud clap now and again....but this kept rumbling around non stop for over an hour.
    Torrential rain to match....so heavy that it was bypassing the guttering and cascading straight over onto the windows.