1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So are you recommending Adams for the next Premiership job then.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That simply isn't the point plym. What I am saying is that I cannot understand why anyone would want to continually employ failure. I don't want Adams to go anywhere but if we are all honest, based on the job he has done here, he would be a better choice that the usual suspects being given a job every time. Thinking he is worth a crack or at least people like him is not the same as wishing him elsewhere. Lets put it this way. If a plumber failed to fix a problem in your house would you ring the same person the next time you had one? I doubt you would.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The problem is that only the big six can choose and pay for the manager that they see as their first choice....and supply him with the funds he needs to build a successful side.
    Managers such as Hughes are in a group who can achieve success only to a certain level.....and when they lose their big players or they lose form
    or get injured drop back into the pack again.....the exception was Leicester who bucked the odds two years back and produced two or three players that lifted them above the rest for one season and weren't taken seriously until well after the new year and whose midfield general the Duracell bunny of the team was snapped up and their goal machine centre forward bucked the trend and stayed.
    Mid table clubs cannot attract the top managers because of their demands on who they want to bring in on ridiculous wages etc.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for the Old Guard (Allardyce, Pardew etc), there'd be no British managers in the PL and most of the Championship at all....

The exception is Sean Dyche who's doing a brilliant job at Burnley, which is owned by 2 English guys. They command a joint net worth of $80m, which sounds like a lot until you compare it with the $2.3 billion held by Everton's owners, $4.9 billion at Leicester and a stonking $22.4 billion at Arsenal, currently 1 place ahead of Burnley in the PL! Talk about punching above your weight......

Instead, we get a steady flow of useless foreigners. I'm at a loss as to why.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The point is not where they come from the point is giving somebody new a go instead of just re-employing the cast off from elsewhere. Look at West Ham who are a prime example. They get rid of Bilic and employ Moyse who was sacked from his last two jobs. Rewarding failure yet again. Why not take somebody from the lower leagues and see if they can do the stuff. Why not take somebody unknown from the foreign leagues. How can anyone know if there isn't another Fergie out there if nobody is prepared to give it a chance. There are quite a few managers in the lower english leagues who are doing an amazing job on their respective budgets and resources.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Bleeging heck....walking around the garden in my shirt sleeves yesterday with the sun on my back.....spring has certainly sprung.

HOLD ON a MIN.....today got in the car at 7am...and up to Sainsbury (5minute jaunt)....parking the car in a snow blizzard....back home after a trip to the high street by 10am and it hasn't stopped snowing for one minute....dramatic temperature drop since yesterday, two inches of snow already fallen (50mm for those to young to know).

I couldn't care two hoots how many diplomats Putin expels....but fairs fair,....he didn't need to send over some more Russian weather to bring us to a stand still for the second time this month.

ps.....BBC weather suggests that Plymouth might get snow between 1500hrs and 1900hrs.

7. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

No snow yet, i want the freezing not snow.. As you say we were in Torquay working in shorts and tee shirts now its back to the low temperatures lowest so far here today was 1 degree <cool>

8. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Ssshhh Sensible. ....like DA and several of the squad. Lol!

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Watching the Wigan v Southampton Cup Q/F.....can't tell which is the Premier League club.....nice to see Christian Walton now 22 on loan from Brighton doing a good job for Wigan....could be a future England goalkeeper.....not too many Englishmen to pick from these days.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Brilliant penalty save from Walton.

11. notDistantGreen

Good game wasn't it? Paul Cook or not, Wigan did themselves and League 1 proud. If they'd turned their superiority into a goal in the first half, who knows what would have happened?

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's the age old football rule isn't it. Score when you are on top or you lose. Think Wigan were better than Southampton for much of the game but not scoring was the killer in the end. Southampton showed how that is done which is why they would have been favourites for the game.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Oh No!!!! That nice Mr Westley has been sacked. I'm so gutted for him. (ha! ha! Ha! HA! HA!)

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I noticed that sensible.....thought you might share your commiserations on such a sad moment.
    Only arrived in January....won two games out of eleven.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

One odious toad arrives (Evans) and one odious toad disappears (Westley). It is the natural way of life.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Evans manages ....or so he reckons the second best club after Celtic. behind us now on same games played.

17. notDistantGreen

Watched a bit of Doncaster v Bradford on Sky last night. Shocking pitch. Poor game on terms of quality. Stadium largely empty despite being supposedly half full.

How lucky we are at the moment.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I assume season ticket holders staying in the warm at home.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I went to get my early bird season ticket today. I was a bit surprised to be told that I couldn't go and pick up the ticket when it was done and had to have it posted to me. Reason being that the Office will be moved about and they have no static office to work from because of the grandstand work etc. Ok I said I understand that. So there is a £3.50 charge for admin and postage to be added on to the cost. Having been given no choice in the matter I was somewhat taken aback at being made to pay for the service I have never previously used and to be honest did not really want this time. Either you pay or you don't get the ticket is basically it. I think this part is poor on behalf of Argyle but have to say it does not surprise me that Brent won't suck up the cost. The man really is a skinflint isn't he. I'm doing this work to increase the value of my club and you lot can pay whatever extra is required whilst I do it. I know £3.50 isn't the end of the world or a fortune but there is a principal involved and I just think it's very poor indeed. Would it have been beyond the realms of possibility to have used the Life Centre space to give tickets out for a short time? Far too simple.

20. notDistantGreen

Do you think he knows? I doubt it very much.

I heard that t**t of an MP, Damien Collins, pontificating about the Facebook scandal the other day. In his opinion, Mark Zuckerberg, as chief executive, should know every single detail (his words) of what goes on his organisation. I've never heard anything so preposterous in all my life. How could any CEO know every single thing that goes on? He'd need a brain the size of a jumbo jet and a surveillance system to rival that of the FSB, SVR, FBI and CIA combined.

The proper role of a CEO is strategic not micro management and the chairman is even further away from the detail.