1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Watched the Chelsea v Norwich game this evening or at least most of it. Thought it was a bore nothing for most of the game until suddenly it kicked into life. 3 players for Chelsea all booked for diving. 2 or the 3 ended in a red card for the players and boy were the Chelsea management not happy. The first was Pedro who ought to have had a red for the dive. It was terrible. Refs should be able to show a red for that in itself. As it happened he fouled a Norwich playerI later in the game and got his second booking. The next was Willian who I have to say I thought was fouled. It looked a stonewall penalty all day long whichever way you saw it. But apparently the VAR man said he couldn't tell. Load of bollox for me that one and the booking stood and no penalty given. The third was in my opinion a dive also. Morata was being pulled but for me clearly threw himself on the ground. He got booked, mouthed off at the Ref, got a second yellow which meant a red. To be honest it was no more than Chelsea deserved.

If VAR is to work then the person watching it has to grow a pair of bollox and make a proper decision. I think tonight the man bottled it and so it begs the question what it the point in it.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Now if Delia had been the VAR person the result wouldn't of been in doubt....his goose would have been well cooked.....<sorry>.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Saw the William incident on the news. May have been the slightest of contact but he threw himself. No penalty and correct yellow for me.

Didn't feel I'd be a fan of VAR initially. The offside decision in midweek took 2 mins plus to resolve and that's too long. If it's going to used to target divers I'm all in favour though.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Maybe there is a career opening here for Tom Daley....he should be able to judge if it's genuine or a dive.....be a nice little earner for him between modelling and competition commitments.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

THE FUN OF THE SCHOOL RUN.

Arrived home from picking up granddaughter from school netball....very cold and definitely wet.

4.00pm.....Drove to school....clear sky...lovely setting sun...very pleasant.
    4.05pm.....Parked car....dark clouds starting to cover sky....followed with thunder and lightening.
    4.10pm.....Watching netball practise.....then it starts to hailstone...extremely heavy....netball abandoned.
    4.12pm.....Hurrying back to the car through hailstones....then it turns to heavy rain...and we are definitely getting wet....and cold.
    4.20pm.....Arrive home clear sky and sun just set.....sorting out wet clothing with Mrs Plyms help.

Oh the joys of the school run....would I want to miss it.....OF COURSE I BLINKING WOULD.
    PS....Not really.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Laying in bed at 7 30am on Monday when phone went. GDaughter not well and could we have her for the day. OK says I when will you be here with her? 10 minutes was the answer. Bleddy hell.................I had to get up. Not only Monday but Tuesday as well. Tomorrow we have the school run. Forecast is......................bleddy rain. Everyday it's wind, rain, hails and then more wind. I'm piggin fed up with this winter.

7. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

I watched that game last night, Chelsea were lucky to finish with 9 players..

Blatant diving, Pedro should have been gone without the need to book him again. No wonder everyone else does it watching these morons.

As for The VAR its not going to work, rugby have it right why can the football learn.

As for the weather .. well its not getting any better. Could do with some snow or frost now... Evenings are getting lighter at least so spring on way... more rain

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The two red cards were justified for me and you are right Joe it should not have taken the second booking for the reds, I don't agree with you on the Willian one though notdistant. There is no doubt he was tripped even if it was only just and if it was an Argyle player we would all have been screaming foul. I think the mind set was there because of the other two being so blatant. I also agree with you Joe that VAR won't work in football although it should do quite easily as in Rugby. In rugby, if there is doubt, then they don't give whatever and that's fair enough. I need not take a huge amount of time to decide in football but the VAR man should be looking at stuff without being asked if there is something in the incident that might cause doubt. All this crap about did the Ref make a mistake is not what this should be about. Getting the right decision is what matters irrespective of what the Ref thought. The Willian one last night was the example. Clearly there was a trip no matter how small. For the VAR man to say there was no evidence the Ref made a mistake is just bollox and he was bottling the decision he is there to make.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

If the VAR man is looking at stuff without being asked....whose watch the current play....you would need an army of VAR men to keep on top of things.

10. Greenarmyjoe

The VAR will cause more problems for the Referee in my view.
    I never saw him go and look at the screen? in Rugby its played on the big screen in Football only the ref can view this.. Why has it to be different when the Rugby timeout clearly works and always has done, yes there is bound to be disagreements but the players accept it and move on. Football it wont happen.

Straight Red and at least a 6 game ban for the divers.. just as bad as spitting at someone.. Cheats

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I am generally a sports fan and like most of them. I've even played most of them in my time even if not very well. But, football is probably my favourite to watch and the fact I can watch it live and in my own home town then so much the better. However, with all that goes on these days I have to say that my patients with it is being stretched very thin and I'm not quite so in love with it as I once was. I'm not talking about us falling down a couple of leagues and almost going out of business or missing out at Wembley and the like. All of that is part of being a supporter and I've learnt the hard way that is the way of things. I'm talking about the cheating that is now endemic in the game which includes both players and their management. I'm talking about the cost of going to games even at the lowest level. I'm talking about the obscenity wages being paid to players at the top of the game that nobody can realistically justify. Officials not fit for purpose and a leadership within the FA who is only concerned with the amount of money they can screw out of ordinary folk. Whilst I still like my Saturday fix I have to say that if my health suffered for example and I found it a bit difficult to go I might just not even try anymore and would not miss it as much as I should.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Alexis Sanchez is a good player and always gives of his best....but that never can be worth the equivalent of £600,000 a week.....there are better players who don't earn near that amount,
    Because Man U did a straight swap with Henrikh Mkhitaryan going the other way no fee was paid.....he got a £20 million signing-on fee, plus bonuses and when image rights are factored in as well to his 4.5 year contract it is valued at the equivalent of £600,000 per week......or £31.2 million per year...or over 4.5 years a total of £140.4 million....so please don't ask me what his basic wage is.....then add all the other players wages together and goodness knows what Man U pay a week for their team.

PS.....Man U earned more this past year than any other club in the world....ahead of Real Madrid and Barcelona....just imagine if they started winning things what would their value be ???

PPS.....Jordan Bentley breaks a leg in training, so unfortunate.....but remember that could happen to Sanchez just as easily....you cannot wrap him up in cotton wool.

13. Greenarmyjoe

DISGRACE.. especially when the NHS is in the ****

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I've been reading a thread on pasoti regarding Hartlepool and the fact they may well go out of business altogether now that a take over has fallen through. I don't know a lot of the details of the collapse but would guess that going out of the football league was never going to keep them in business. It seems that the management of the club has been a tad wanting and the reason the take over fell on stoney ground was that they couldn't even work out what debts the club had. Obviously no book keeping going on there then.

What got me thinking though was some of the comments of our supporters who seemed to think that the PL and FA should somehow produce and pay into a fund to help lower league cubs who get into difficulty so that supporters weren't left rattling buckets and picking up the tab to keep their beloved alive. It seems to me that some people do fail to see the bigger picture with this issue. If you had such a fund then surely that would just encourage owners of small clubs to spend what the feck they liked in the knowledge that somebody might bail them out. So instead of cutting down the chances of clubs disappearing it would increase the probability that one would. We all feel angst at the obscenity of some of the wages and fees agents can earn but filling a pot full of fools gold is not going to solve the problem is it.

15. Greenarmyjoe

Get that bloke on sky to buy them

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Well he knows quite a few players Joe so I suspect he could rattle a much bigger bucket than most of us.

Watched the Yeovil match tonight. Have to say that for the first half they looked quite decent without creating anything. But the longer the game went on the difference in class showed quite starkly. Thought they couldn't keep the ball and kept giving it back to MU very cheaply. The MU first goal was a farce. The ball should have been in row Z. Second and third was a class finish so they can't complain at that. Thought Yeovil gave them too much respect and tried too hard at times. 4 - 0 seemed a bit harsh at the end but the class difference was there for all to see. One mention for Rashford who I was quite impressed with. There was 2 occasions where he could have hit the deck and hoped for a penalty. Don't think he was fouled but there are many a player that would have gone down and looked for it. Both times he stayed on his feet and did not appeal or complain at anything. With all the diving about it just looked sporting for once.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  17. Greenarmyjoe

Yes watched that game, Yeovil were ok in the first 40 minutes, but you knew they would tire.
    It was a dodgy pitch and when the Player got booked in the first minute i thought its going to be a tricky night for them all to finish.

But it was a good match an as you say there was no rolling or diving about

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I blame Yeovil's goalkeeper more than the player trying to shepherd the ball back to him, he was too static....Div 2 minds just don't react as quick as Premier League Marcus Rashford's did.....that's quite often the difference between a good player and a Premier star.

19. Greenarmyjoe

Watched the Liverpool game tonight, what a farce with VAR and 3 incidents in the first half one resulted in a penalty.. At least west brom won come the end ,.. entertaining. One VAR took over 4 minutes to resolve.. joke

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Trouble is Joe with the standard of a lot of the refereeing I can see the merits of VAR to some extent. There are too many mistakes being made by officials and too much at stake to allow them carte blanche power over decisions. I think it will need to bed in and be used properly though. 4 minutes is a bit too long.