1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I’m sure there’s a joke in there somewhere.

Talking about jokes, one historian said that Liz Truss’ round of pre-conference interviews with regional news outlets was “the worst provincial campaign of any of our leaders since Autumn 1216”. What can he be referring to? In Autumn 1216, King John caught dysentery in Norfolk, lost the Crown Jewels in the Wash and died in Nottinghamshire.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I bet he didn't make the same mistakes in Autumn 1217......if so he would be dead unlucky.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

News article on the BBC News this morning about todays unveiling of the Jack Leslie statue outside Home Park.....now that is a racism story that needed telling.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

BEING GENDER NEUTRAL ?

A troupe of Morris dancers is opting for a gender-neutral title in the hope of attracting more women members.

After nearly half a century. members of the Helier Morris Men in Jersey have decided to drop the word "Men" and be known simply as Helier Morris.

Troupe member Colin Ireson described the move as "a major step" and it appears to be bearing fruit, "Recruiting efforts have so far resulted in three ladies stepping forward- pun intended", said Mr Ireson.

HOWEVER.....the desire to integrate the sexes is not shared by the Island's female-only Morris group - the Jersey Lillies. Member Ann Southern said : "We are flourishing and we don't want to go mixed."

So no men joining the Jersey Lillies in the near furure then ?

PS....A recent census of Morris dancers has found that more than half of Britain's 14,000 participants are women anyway.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Wigan...1-3...Cardiff.

It was noted before the match that one of the goals was two inches too high .....but the teams decided to play because neither side would benefit ?....seeing both would kick into it for 45 minutes.

One manager did jokingly comment that that was okay if we can play into it both halves.

Ironically Cardiff's third goal did go in off the higher cross-bar..... I just wonder if it would of gone in without those extra two inches ?

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Using the words "elderly" and "pensioner" is ageist, a university has told staff. Faculty at the University of Manchester have instead been asked to refer to the over-60's as" mature individuals", "older people" or simply "learners".

They have also been told to avoid mentioning age unless it is "relevant", in an effort to "actively avoid ageist terms". The advise, published last year in the university's Guide to inclusive language, says: Only include age if it is relevant, for example, with initiatives that are only available for a particular age group," adding: " We actively avoid ageist terms such as 'elderly', ' OAPs' 'pensioners' or 'youngsters', instead using terms that are objectives."

Daily Telegraph...11/10/2022.

This article continues with further such comments from places such as Milton Keynes College,

Personally I find it all laughable and ridiculous......I'm 83....I'm elderly and a pensioner what is wrong in being called that.....isn't a teenager a youngster anymore....all this Political Correctness and Woke stuff is madness and needs stamping out.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It amazes me that wokeism and political correctness seems to be so important in some peoples lives.

WHEN.... in eastern Europe there is a dictator called Putin who is on the verge of starting WW3 with the threat of nuclear weapons.

Putin has been festering ever since Mikhail Gorbachev the last President of the Soviet Union helped to finish the USSR in 1990 and so many satellite countries broke away....Ukraine being the first.

Most of us do not fully understand the situation between the Ukraine and Russia.

I have been reading a book by Serhii Plokhy called THE GATES OF EUROPE...a History of Ukraine.....

Serhii Plokhy is a Professor of Ukrainian History at Harvard University and a leading authority on Eastern Europe.

Some of the write ups on this book are....

A compelling and outstanding short history of the blood-soaked land that has so often been the battlefield and breadbasket of Europe. The 'Gates of Europe' combines scholarly authority with narrative flair.....essential reading for anyone who wants to understand Russia and Ukraine today.....Simon Sebag Montefiore.

Buy this book.....give copies to your children and grandchildren. Buy copies for your friends.....make sure they read it.......Ukrainian Weekly.

This book gives you an insight of the importance of the Ukraine in European history....the largest country in Europe...supplying vast amounts of cereal crops to the rest of the world.....it is seen as the gateway to Europe and Putin is determined to grab it back into the new Soviet Union he his building.

I would think you notDistant would find it a fascinating read....assuming that you already haven't got a copy.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  8. notDistantGreen

No I don't have that. I'm still ploughing through Barak Obama's 768 page "A Promised Land".

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I assume that he wrote that title before Donald Trump came on the scene.....

10. notDistantGreen

11. notDistantGreen

Gordon Sparkes has tweeted to say he’s going to St Luke’s for what is expected to be a relatively short stay. We should make that recent banner shown in the Devonport End “The Sir Gordon Sparkes Stand” a permanent feature.

The most biased football commentator I’ve ever heard. Wonderful.

12. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not such good news. There are however two reasons people might go to St Lukes and it isn't always the terminal one. My mother went into the place for her pain relief to be sorted out properly. From the wording it's difficult to say which is which here. Not looking good though is it.

13. notDistantGreen

Unfortunately his statement was pretty clear. And brave.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Yep. Since read it on Pasolti and my Daughter knows the family well so sadly it does look bleak. 100% Mr Argyle through and through and absolutely the most biased radio commentator anyone could possibly hear. I used to listen to him on Saturdays for every away game.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Liz Truss is Putin's secret weapon.....and I claim my £5.

Jeremy Hunt nearly destroyed the NHS.......will he be able to make the economy even worse.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The problems in this Country started long before Truss took the reins. Boris was the beginning and it's just speeding up now as it hits max speed down hill to the dump. You wait they will eventually have to relax the immigration rules again which will totally piss off the brexit brigade. Without sufficient workforce they will not turn anything around. I suspect also there will be as good as a General Strike in this Country which will make the Winter of discontent look like a mass work in. I can never get my head around why humans laugh at Lemming jokes when there is plenty of real life evidence of humans doing exactly what they laugh at the Lemmings for but for real.

17. notDistantGreen

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Sad sad news. He was only 61 which these days is no age at all. He is one that will truly be missed by many.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Watched the politics unfold today on the box. It's getting more and more like a TV Soap than real life politics. How much further down the crap heap can this lot slide. Old Liz couldn't be arsed to turn up to answer an emergency question due to urgent business she couldn't get away from and then turned up at the end of it to hear the new PM.......oooops! sorry the new Chancellor give a statement.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So.....who is next for 15 minutes of fame.....Boris is third or fourth in line for the job.....he could be back in Downing Street by new years day....and possibly out by April fools day.