1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

A sad day for me when the Queen passed away.
    And now it's God save the King, all in my life time.

Our forest fires are back so very smoky out there.
    Looking forward to Tuesday against Oxford.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Megan Markle is either exceedingly dim or knew full well what she was getting into by marrying into the Royal Family. All she had to do was casually Google "Princess Diana" to appreciate the depths the British press sinks to and to understand it's all about a life of service to the nation not Me Me Me.

The worst of the accusations is of a racism, this from a woman that's overcome it in the US to the extent of having made a fortune and indeed had been around the place for a about a year before I realised she did have black heritage, although that's probably proof of how much interest I took in her than anything else. That of course is a problem for her: if people don't take an interest, what about Me, Me, Me?

Does this sound like a outfit that's institutionally racist to you?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...eaders-pay-tribute-queen-devoted-life-service

And that accusation isn't true................

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think that the British powers that be in relation to that sort of thing, Royal marriage etc, could quite conceivably be racist. They throw a wobbly everytime something is slightly off centre. The Queen being racist is another matter. I absolutely agree that Markle knew exactly what she was getting into before she got into it. There again I always thought Diana knew as well having grown up in "Higher Circles" and mixed with "Gentry". However, whilst I don't believe the Queen was in any way racist I can't vouch for none of the surrounding not being and nor can anyone else who wasn't there. If she is lying then so is Harry who has not refuted any of the claims and has not done anything that doesn't back his wife's accusations. Ergo he is as guilty if she is. Does anyone on here seriously believe that the brothers decided to go walkabout together yesterday in front of Buck Palace under their own volition. Like a whole load of things Royal it was more than likely stage managed for the crowds and cameras. Good PR for Charles as well. The whole thing looked staged and both parties looked uncomfortable in each others company. Charles has waited 73 years for this opportunity and certainly doesn't want to blow it now. If people want to believe all the rubbish being put out and accept Charles without any reservations then that is entirely up to them. Just don't expect the rest of us to bend a knee and tug a forelock in his direction. I for one will not be singing God Save the King anytime soon.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It seems that William and Kate had planned to come down from Windsor Castle to look at the flowers and talk to the crowds.....talk is that Charles asked them to include the Sussex's....so William talked to Harry.....but it was obvious that Kate and Megan stayed well apart.....Megan looked well uneasy....which was understandable seeing the drip feed of accusations she had made against the Royal family in the last couple of years.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I am going to declare that I have just about had enough of listening to all the crap being trotted out over this subject online and on the media outlets. If people want to carry on waving their little paper flag on a stick for the next feck knows how long it lasts then good on them but I'm now opting out. That family aren't really worth all the time being spent on them.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Maybe the cupboard under the stairs for you till the.20th.....crate of beer and some pasties should keep you going....and don't forget to check Tuesday and Saturdays footie results.

7. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

I will be supporting the Royals and singing God Save The King.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Good to hear some patriotism BC.....there isn't much else to believe in this day and age......I think Charles will be a good and a worthwhile King.....Monday the 19th will be a day of unity for this nation as they grieve the passing of Queen Elizabeth II....one of the most dedicated monarchs this country has had.

9. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

well time will tell, who knows what is going to happen next .. end of an era..

Oh well i have a business to keep running so all are staff want to work monday and its now difficult as suppliers are not open . so call outs wont happen and the tenants at the housing Trusts dont want anyone in on that day, Thats a shame as they dont let us in to do the gas checks any day.. i wonder why

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I am despairing at the way this country is going.....political correctness plus the WOKE generation are trying to destroy the things we see as basic.

Latest ruling I've just come across is by the Historic Environment Scotland (HES).......saying that tour guides in Scotland have been told to avoid "non-inclusive language", including phrases such as "ladies and gentlemen" .

The advice by the HES ...a tax payer-funded organisation in charge of 300 sites including Edinburgh Castle.....is saying phrases including "mum and dad" ..."son and daughter"...and " family" have all been deemed non-inclusive.

Both "mum and dad"...and "family" should be substituted by grown-ups...while "brother and sister" should become "friend or buddy"...the new guide states.

HES said the "LGBT+ guidance for customer-facing colleagues" is not mandatory, but the guide says deviating from the advice warrants an apology and should be "an opportunity to learn".

Rachel Hamilton, a Conservative MSP, told the Scottish Daily Mail..."It is difficult to imagine how anyone would be offended by the innocent language HES has taken issue with."

HES said..."This is to ensure staff can avoid presuming a person's background and inclusive language so everyone feels welcomed and respected".

Sunday Telegraph...25/09/2022.

I can assure you that my son or daughter will not be called...."friend or buddy"...by me ever.....and my family will always be my family....not just grown-ups.

Are these HES type people real.....are they on some type of happy pills that we don't know about.

I have checked todays date and it is not April 1st (April fools day).

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

With all gthat is going on in this Country and the World currently with war and poverty is this all a newspaper can come up with? No wonder the sale of papers has dropped off the planet these days. Report something useful not this crap is my advice. And my family will always be just that for me as well as it happens.

12. notDistantGreen

Well a new PM, just a few weeks in once you’ve eliminated the mourning period. all her mates in the cabinet and what have we got? A financial disaster is what we’ve got.

Tax cuts for high earners which, whatever the rights & wrongs, have even City high flyers saying have come at a completely inappropriate time.
    Trying to stimulate the economy when we have chronic labour shortages.
    Trying to stimulate the economy when unfunded tax cuts are bound to raise interest rates and choke off investment.
    Government seen as at odds with its own monetary disciplines, with the BoE and with the IMF.
    Devaluing the £ and thereby pushing up energy and import prices when we already have a cost of living crisis.

Do Conservative Party members still thing Truss is a better PM than boring Rishi Sunak?

What a shambles.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Bring back Boris.....better the devil that you know syndrome me thinks.....?

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I watched Starmers speech yesterday....I could swear that all the troops were linked together with string...or an electric shock.... to jump up everytime Starmer finished a point and clap until their arms fell off.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That is NOT anywhere near an answer to the problems. Just because you consider somebody slightly less of a nightmare than the current is just a daft concept. Boris was and is useless and has gone a long way to creating the current. Truss is just making it worse. She is a right wing idiot who along with others in the European area is dangerous. I fear though that she will be just as bad as Boris and not listen to anyone whilst the ship sinks. She should never have been elected in the first place as the election was only carried out by a tiny tiny percentage of the population.

It's interesting to hear the IMF people. It's the wrong time with the wrong people and the wrong direction to go is basically what they are saying. The shortage of workforce is creating added problems to it. You know the one that was created by...........yep that man Boris. The one that the racist element voted for. They still think they are right despite the evidence that is blatantly there.

16. notDistantGreen

Bank intervention prompted by potential pension chaos
    please log in to view this image

Faisal Islam

BBC Economics Editor

Today’s Bank of England intervention was driven by the potential for chaos in a corner of the financial services industry that underpins pensions funds.

This was the specific threat to financial stability that prompted the Bank to act. It was a decision of an emergency special meeting of its Financial Policy Committee.

The speed and the scale of the collapse in the value of government bonds, known as gilts, which are required to be held because they are ordinarily so stable, put pressure on liability-driven investment funds.

They support defined benefit pension schemes, and would today have faced having to be revalued or marked at low prices. In turn, that could have forced the pensions schemes to liquidate other assets, for example stock market holdings in a forced sale. The move was to stop these “spillovers”.

This explains why the Monetary Policy Committee, which normally authorises bond-buying, did not make this decision. Insiders are adamant that this decision does not signal anything about where interest rates might go, and is not a form of loosening monetary policy or “printing money”, creating it out of thin air to help a troubled government with its funding.

But all of this is only required because of the violent turn against British government debts since the mini-budget. It is a dramatic emergency medicine. The risk still lingers. It does not solve the underlying problem.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The racist element voted for Boris....wow that is typical.....all Brexiteerers are racist.......how amazing... what will you come out with next....that means over 51% of the UK are racist.

It has been mentioned that a remainer lobby helped to stir up things at the weekend.

18. notDistantGreen

There’s no doubt racism and xenophobia whipped up by the scummy end of the newspaper world was a significant part of the pro Brexit vote. Now the pragmatists like me see us short of labour and intending to bring workers in from further away than Europe. I wonder how Brexiteers will feel about that, presuming it works.

But to repeat, we now have this Government is trying to boost the economy when we’re at capacity of a vital resource: labour. That can only lead to inflation.

And ww are are on the subject of Government Brexit cock-ups, let’s look at agricultural subsidies. Along with the vital importance of blue passports, one of the first victories over the Brussels Bureaucrats was to change the basis of faming subsidies. Rather than subsidising food production, we Brits would subsidise “greening” the countryside. They’ve today said they will review that decision. Perhaps that’s because they’ve suddenly realised we need a secure food supply just as it would have been nice if we had a secure energy supply. Talk about the blindingly bleeding obviously.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

So not just my opinion regarding the racist point then. When will you people admit it was immigration above all other things that drove the vote plymborn. Now we have a situation that all those scummy foreign types who were just here for the benefits actually contributed to our part of the World. We haven't got enough people in this country willing to work to fill the gap. Care sector is on it's knees. Crop picking on it's knees. NHS on it's knees. Not enough drivers so transport on it's knees. Hospitality sector on it's knees. Try denying that those aren't a fact and why. I bet you will be screaming blue murder if your pension goes tits up. I will but there again I am now so it isn't a band wagon I'm jumping on.

The remain lobby are not responsible for this current catastrophe. Boris started it and the current lot are making it worse. Where did you read it anyway? Wasn't the Daily Mail by any chance was it.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just type in "remainers" and see for yourself....some will do anything to cause trouble in the city because of their hate of Brexit.