1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It's the spell checker on my phone, far too bossy. It's obviously of the opinion "There's only one Gareth (Bale)" when I meant Gareth Southgate.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Am I the only one who actually reads back what I've wrote...before sending.

3. notDistantGreen

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If "what I wrote" was good enough for Morecambe and Wise then it's good enough for here.

5. notDistantGreen

6. notDistantGreen

Two old men in deckchairs. One says to the other "you wouldn't get away with that joke nowadays would you?". The other says "Certainly not".

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

"Two old men"? Terrible description notdistant. You can't say that now............

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It does seem that atrocities have taken place in Ukraine by the Russians.....it does remind me that as Germany collapsed in the last few months of WW2....German troops were desperate to avoid being captured by the Russians and were so glad to come across British or Americans to surrender too.

9. notDistantGreen

I appreciate the danger of nuclear weapons being used if ever the West and Russia came to blows, but this conflict does show how poor the conventional Russian military are. When you consider Ukraine has minimal air power, none of the sophisticated surveillance systems available to NATO and no navy, you wonder how Russia has failed so miserably.

I read one story a couple of weeks back of a commanding officer of one Russian unit being deliberately run over by an armoured vehicle as his troops refused to go back into battle....

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You might be quite surprised to hear that there are a whole load of bits and pieces on British ships and Subs and the like that don't work too well also. We have the equipment but not always in working order. You can also guarantee that surveillance is being passed on in buckets full so Ukraine not having it isn't really a problem.

You know that I didn't think Putin would invade originally and got that spectacularly wrong. But, the more I see of what is reported as going on the more I wonder now if Putin is trying to provoke NATO into getting involved for real. Does he really care if there is another war or does he just want his name to be etched in history forever more. If as reported, he has a serious illness then does he care if he leaves Europe in ruins. I can almost believe it even if I don't really want to.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Russia claiming that atrocities are false news and made up.

If that is the case the Ukrainian mother who had to bury her son in the garden...is a damn good actress and deserves an oscar for the tremendous performance whilst making that video.

12. notDistantGreen

Also, those commercial satellites that are providing pictures to the media have produced images showing the bodies in exactly the same positions 3 weeks ago when the Russians were in occupation.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'm sad to say that an old friend of mine died today.....this friend I've known for possibly 35 years.

This friend had become quite rusty.

And it's plastic nozzle had become very brittle and quite yellow over the years.

Faithfully it had served me well over those years....but today as I oiled my side gate hinges it gave its last drop of oil.

It won't be the same without my 250ml Woolworths..' handy oil'.. tin oiling can....there is still a very faded price label on it....it looks like it cost 25 or 35 pence I can't be sure.....but it was money well spent....I had to finish loosening up the gate hinges with some WD-40....definately not the same......another moment of time gone forever.

14. notDistantGreen

Ah nostalgia. It's not what it used to be. Somewhere, I have my trusty 30 year old Black & Decker bought when I still harboured the idea I could actually Do It Myself: the wrong sized holes I've drilled not quite straight with that!

But we have the Tidy Up Fairy here
    Leave anything unattended for 5 minutes: a half read book, a half eaten sandwich, a mobile phone, a perfectly clean pair of underpants which could easily do another 2 days and they're gone... sometimes never to be seen again.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I also ran into the metric equivalant at the weekend....the sure winner of a cunning price increase if you've ever come across one.

We ran short of milk at the weekend.....just needed a little bit more to see us through to Monday when I buy milk for the whole week.

Popped into a corner shop that was convenient.....and bought 4pts....cost £1.60....that compares with the usual £1.25 at Sainsbury....okay expected it to be dearer.

I got home and slipped it into the fridge door and was surprised how easily it fitted in ?

Of course it wasn't 4pts....but 2 litres....which of course is smaller......and made the £1.60 dearer than I expected.

PS...I still buy petrol by the gallon.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Milk in Plymouth at Sainsburys is £1.15 today for that size. You is being robbed. I have a tidy fairy as well notdistant. Anything, and I do mean anything I let out of my grip disappears in seconds no matter how much I protest. My wife is quite seriously visually impaired but for some reason if I was holding something or doing something and put an item down it's gone. I also get DIY stuff to do and when I try to do it after much nagging she wants to be in that exact space at that exact time and when told to bugger off for ten minutes tells me I should wait for her to do whatever it is she has decided needs doing in that nanosecond. Otherwise I'm being rude......

17. notDistantGreen

The Tidy Up Fairy also believes that I deliberately separate one sock from the other when I take them off, putting one in the linen basket and hide the other. Therefore it's my fault when I end up with odd socks. She hasn't advanced a theory as to why I'd do that but of course she doesn't need to justify herself.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

4Pts of milk in the South East is £1.25....and in central London it is even dearer.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'd like to think it's because we have the Cows down here and the milk for up there has to travel. However, many moons ago I lived in a Married Quarter in RAF Uxbridge. One day on the High Street there we went into a shop to buy a swede as part of the veg for Sunday lunch. We had just returned from Devon the previous weekend. A Devon Swede (as advertised by the shop) was cheaper in Uxbridge than in the place they came from. I questioned this and the man said it was because the stuff was transported to London in it's entirety, was then bought by Distributors only to be transported back to Devon again. Hence the price difference as his didn't have to travel so far. You couldn't make it up could you.

By the way notdistant, odd socks are trendy these days.

20. notDistantGreen

Ah there you are. I'm a trendsetter.