1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Picture on the BBC of the man....in his late 20's/30's.....his parents seem to be two of the fatalities plus a young girl.....could be mental health situation....no longer securing such people in secure accomodation....living in the community with carers etc.......a shock for any town or city let alone the West Country.

Named as Jake Davison....from Phoenix Arizona USA.

PS....not sure how you can rely on much of that info.....especially the Parents and him being an American.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So the vast majority of the info being touted about last night and even earlier this morning is complete tosh. It is difficult to comprehend how some people react to things like this and what they have to say on their keyboards. Sometimes I'm almost ashamed to be called human. For the first time I complained about a poster on 606 last night who seemed to think something about this was funny. How anyone could make a joke about people being shot dead in the street is beyond me and now especially with a 3 year old involved. That poster got banned I'm pleased to say. The full details so far are shocking and nothing less.

brb likes this.
  3. brb

brb CR250

Yeah just on the banning bit. I banned him this morning and the ban is permanent. He will not be welcome on this forum anymore. Sorry that it ocurred but I was struggling to understand or comprehend what was actually going on at the time. I woke up this morning and to my disgust saw what had unfolded, I certainly wasn't expecting someone to use this sad situation in the way they did.

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Thanks brb. The only person to blame was the poster himself. I really don't get how some people's brains, if they actually have one, work. He's gone and not coming back for which I thank you. I saw a statement from your Manager Steve Evans who I have to say I'm not a big fan of. However, this time his words are a credit to your club so praise where it's due. Thanks again anyway.

brb likes this.
  5. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Just to say, I'm sorry for the loss of the people of your community. I'm lost for words, so I'll leave it there.

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Thank you Kempton. It was an absolute shock to say the least and still is a bit even now. It isn't something that happens in many communities so to say it's not the sort of thing that happens here is a bit silly. It clearly can happen anywhere but the loss of a little one makes it all the more sad. How anyone could point a gun at a 3 year old and pull a trigger is just beyond my comprehension.

smhbcfc and Kempton like this.
  7. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

I think the thoughts of everyone in the UK have been with Plymouth over the last couple of days.

The events themselves are shocking - I can't comprehend how someone can do that (especially shooting a child)

But for you guys even more shocking in that it happened in your community

sensiblegreeny and Kempton like this.
  8. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

The thing that shocks me is that someone can get a permit for a pump action shotgun in an inner city area.

That type of gun is abhorred by proper shooters and has shown itself to be deadly in these situations. At least if the gun has to reloaded every 2 shots there's some chance to escape. I thought they were illegal but obviously not. And what on earth does someone need such a weapon for in an inner city area?

Kempton likes this.
  9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think a lot of people will be asking those questions notdistant and there will be those that say it's easy to be wise after the event. However, in this case it was easy to be wise before the event. I cannot think of a single reason to grant somebody the right to have a gun at all in a City. Well a member of a gun club where you leave the gun on their premises so ok that is one reason. But no other and if it is allowed then it is the law that allows it that is totally wrong. I think though that somebodies judgement is going to be severely questioned.

10. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

I am a member of a Gun Club.
    I can only carry my firearm from home to the club, they are stored in my gun cabinet at the club and at home.
    Yes i do have an license which is easy to get here.
    I am also allowed to transport firearms to my cabin for my protection
    This dose not apply to the Gangs, they get their handguns from across the boarder.
    There are shootings every week here with gang warfare, at least they are shooting each other.
    How on earth that man was allowed to buy a shotgun i don't know.. someone needs to be blamed i'm sure.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There isn't anything wrong with guns BC it is the person who is holding it that is always the problem. I have no problem with somebody having a gun to use in a club. I have no problem with somebody using one to just hunt as long as they eat what they kill and it isn't a lion or elephant just for a trophy for example. What is wrong in this case is a City kid owning a pump action shotgun. Those weapons are NOT sports weapons or even hunting weapons. There is no need as far as I can see for any civilian owning one at all. I even question how somebody like that was able to buy the thing in the first place. There will always be illegal weapons about but in this case it was legally owned in that he was given a licence for it. The vast difference in gun laws between the UK and the American Continent north and south is why it is so shocking when it happens here. When guns are readily available then people shoot each other and that is almost inevitable. I'm never shocked when somebody goes mad with a gun in America. Disgusted at the waste of life yes but not shocked.

12. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

We were i Arizona a few years back, and on entering a Super Market, a sign read, leave you firearm at the door in a locker.
    Sure enough a guy with a hand gun strapped to his waist, took it off and lockered it.
    He even wore spurs on his boots..not a horse in sight ..Lol

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

He would have left his horse outside...in the horse park next to the car park.

Sounds like the safest place in Arizona is in the supermarket.......what about knives...can you park that somewhere as well.

14. notDistantGreen

In America, there are roughly 120 firearms for every 100 residents. When police stop a car at night or enter a suspect building, there's a very reasonable chance they'll face a gun. Indeed in 2019, 43 police officers were shot dead in the course of their duties amongst a total of nearly US 11,000 citizens murdered with firearms. Therefore, the police regularly draw their guns and sometimes innocent people get shot.

We've lost 68 police officers shot dead in the line of duty in the UK. Since 1900 that is, 120 years. Draw your own conclusions.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Been watching BBC's Newsnight program tonight with Kirstie Wark....the subject was Afghanistan.....she was talking to David Miliband and he was talking about a very important point....and she cut him off half way through his sentence.

She then moved on to two Americans who were disgusted on what Biden had done....and she did it again cutting them off half way through....to move on to another subject.

How could she do it ...these people were all very knowledgeable about the subject and she trashed them to move on to another subject....high rise cladding......as if there answers weren't important enough to let them finish their sentences.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

And if you thought the Tory Government couldn't sink any lower the latest penis to be exposed to the World for all to see is good old Dominic Raab. "The phone call was delegated to a more junior member". Since when did a ship's Captain not take responsibility for what goes on in their ship. To put this in a football context it's like the forward who gets a penalty every week by throwing himself to the floor in pretend pain. Basically cheating the public. The Tory rabble are doing the exact thing to save their own skins and take responsibility for nothing. The one constant is that it is never ever their fault for anything.

A couple of years ago I was having a casual chat to some people about Afghanistan and the "inroads the forces had made in securing the Country". My observations were that the Taliban were just sitting back and waiting for the combined forces to get fed up with being there and forking out trillions of squids for the privilege. When the inevitable pull out was taken they would just pick up their arms again and recommence from where they left off. The one thing having been learned by them being patients. You could see it a mile off and didn't need to be an expert of the region either. Sure enough here we are. Now, if somebody with little real knowledge of the area and people could see that why with all the info and intelligence gathered could those paid to know not see it? Anyone who had worked for the "enemy" was clearly going to be in their sights so why didn't they put an evacuation in place in advance of even announcing a pull out? It shouldn't have required a last minute desperate phone call at all. Dominic Raab you are as guilt as sin itself.

17. notDistantGreen

Ask Trump and Biden about this. They are responsible.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It may well be but that doesn't excuse Raab though. Would you want to get into a fight with this lot at your back?

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Biden.....the best recruiting officer terrorists have had for years.....even Donald Trump couldn't do better.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We were all celebrating when Donald Trump lost the race for the White House.

BUT....8 months into President Bidens reign did we ever think that he could humiliate the west to the extent that he has done in the last few weeks.

Running away (for that is what it is) from Afghanistan and allowing the Taliban to take back the country with its flip-flop wearing grenade launcher carrying blood thirsty terrorists is an incredible act of treason against the Afghan people.

Thousands of Afghans who have helped the west to run the country for twenty years will miss getting out because of the haste (panic) of the withdrawal....that has been planned on the back of a fag packet....Bidens actions have cut the ground out from underneath the coalition of western countries that were helping to beat the terrorist threat in Afghanistan.

The Taliban could not of planned it better themselves....it is estimated that the US military is leaving behind equipment to the value of $83 billion.

For example.......

1.....Vehicles 75,000.....including.....42,604 Ford Ranger cargo trucks.....27,171 Humvees.....8,998 medium tactical vehicles.....1,005 mine-resistant ambush-protected (MRAP) vehicles.

2.....Aircraft 208.....includes.....110 Russian Mi-17.....US McDonnel Douglas MD-530 helicopters.

3.....Small Arms and Light weapons 600,000 includes.....358,530 Rifles M16, M4, AK-47.....126,295 includes.....Pistols M9, Glock G19.....64,363 Machine guns M249, M240.....25,327 Grenade Launchers.....12,692 Shotguns M500, M590A1.....9,877 Rocket Propelled weapons.

4.....Surveillance Equipment 16,191 includes.....16,035 Night Vision Devices.....120 Radio and Cell phone monitoring systems.

These figures taken from The Daily Telegraph...Saturday...28/08/2021....the source being....US Gov, Graphic News.

Good grief a terrorist army equipt by the USA Government free of charge.

Okay a lot of the bigger items they will have trouble servicing.....but I can think of a few countries who would help them out with that problem.

Joe Biden personally should be impeached or whatever the right term is for destablising the worlds safety as soon as possible......then we can look forward to Donald Trump taking over again.

21. notDistantGreen

Let's not forget that it was Trump who agreed to the..... surrender but Biden has been extremely weak too.

Probably worse than the equipment they left behind, they failed to destroy the files containing all the personnel data for the Afgans who'd worked for the allied forces. They might as well have signed the death warrants themselves.