1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's better than plym's christmas cracker jokes. Only just I admit..........

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Have you seen the video of the Australian plague of mice.....thousands and thousands of them...two and three times deep...so so many of them.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There is a very old video of that sort of plague in Australia previously. It was a grain silo or something if memory serves. They opened the door and the mice came out like a tidal wave.

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Watched England game today. Yawn................they spent more time kicking towards their own end than where the goal was. Still job done I suppose and that's what matters most.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So we've won two games without dropping a goal....BUT we have only scored SEVEN goals against two of the weakest teams in world football....that could be a problem later on when the qualifying time comes along.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Have to say Albania didn't look that weak. To be fair I thought they had a few decent players but were set up to try not to concede rather than win the game.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Okay I am probably being too hard on Albania who are 66th in the world ranking of all confederations......last in that list... at 210th are San Marino....England are 4th.....which I find hard to believe.....Only...Belgium 1st.....France 2nd..... Brazil 3rd... are above us.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Piers Morgan I have always found to be an obnoxious prat of an idiot....who spends his time winding up people.

That said....we all know that he has had a long time fall-out with Megan Markle......I call her by her name that she had before she become the Duchess of Sussex.....because her royal title is only through marriage not through any merited act on her behalf.

Piers Morgan's well documented blow up on morning telly we all know about.....he has always called a spade a spade throughout his life (no pun intended on any link between spade and colour by me....honest)....but what he was saying was that he did not believe her version of events......okay I believe free speech is still allowed in this country.....but what he said has been condemned as "a racist hate crime".... he is saying that it is time to cancel ....."the cancel culture before it kills our culture" situation that is happening in our country.

He also..." rounded on the Duke of Sussex for his part in a "disgraceful betrayal" of the Queen.

Highlighting that there were differences between "someone's truth" and "actual truth"...Morgan said he could not be labelled racist simply because he did not believe parts of the interview.....He also said that the fallout from his scepticism about the Duchess in her interview with Oprah Winfrey was "outrageous".

He also noted that the Duchess's credibility had subsequently been eroded by news that she and the Duke had not been married in private three days before their official wedding...as she insisted.

Morgan finished by saying....."She is just one of many whiny...privileged...hypocritical celebrities who now cynically exploit victimhood to suppress free speech"..

Okay forget that it is Piers Morgan that is saying all this....but to me it has a ring of truth more than it coming over as "racist"..

9. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I don't know if you also watched the San Marino game but England were much better in that one. I know they are theoretically weaker but we should have been 5-0 after 20 minutes in that one: Raheem Stirling missed 3 or 4 golden opportunities on his own. The point was made in the commentary that San Marino are ranked the worst in the world because they are in Europe and therefore have to play very strong teams in the various competitions. They get walloped by the likes of Belgium, France, Germany, Italy and even England whereas minor teams in the Southern hemisphere play amongst themselves and don't look as bad. I thought we were rubbish against Albania though..............

You may be surprised to hear I agree with you about the Duchess Plym. Firstly, she isn't stupid and should have thought through what marrying a Royal would entail, especially one whose mother was hounded by the UK tabloids. Secondly, as a well connected, well off celebrity who spent the past 2 or 3 years doing not much else but supporting mental heath charities, I find it highly unlikely she couldn't have found dozens of well regarded practioners who'd have been fighting amongst themselves to help her if she was struggling. I'm no fan at all of Piers Morgan to put it mildly but on this occasion I think there's something in what he says. The people I blame though are not the unhappy couple or the Royal Family but the scumbag UK tabloid press.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I think a lot of people would agree with what Piers Morgan has said.....but are keeping their heads down because of the racism connection that is being linked with any other opinion than what the lady says in "the truth" (or her version of the truth).

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Know what...............I really couldn't care less about the sensibilities of this worthless bunch on both sides. It must be really hard living life in luxury whilst the plebs pay for it all. Poor old Harry and the missus having to live off the millions his Mum left. I mean come on he was having to spend his own money for once. You have to feel sorry for them. As for possible racist comment from the Palace well who'd have thought it. I mean they have never said anything like it before have they. And as for old Oprah with her very very fake "what" at the camera when the revelation was made as if she didn't know what was coming. She may be a decent interviewer but her acting is shocking. I just can't get worked up about any of them and if they all went for a boat ride in the Bermuda Triangle I wouldn't lose any sleep. They could even take Piers Morgan with them as well.

As for the more important subject of England v Albania I thought England played as well as Albania let them. Which wasn't that great..........

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

2 - 1 and they nearly fecked it up 2 = 1 and they nearly fecked it up......as the song goes. God that was hard work wasn't it. They were cruising and suddenly a right cock up and for a while you could see them actually losing that. Still they won and job done. Not the most exciting game again was it.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I reckon England's defence have been watching Argyle videos.

Why do teams get to the oppositions penalty area and then end up back with their keeper having the ball.....all this percentage of ball possession is rubbish......put the ball in the net between those two woody things.... more than they do to you.....quite simple really.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Funnily enough your first sentence was something I actually said word for word. As for the rest it's all about stats plym. Nothing to do with kicking a ball or scoring or whatever else used to constitute football worth watching. It's possession and passes and how far a player has covered in a game and assists although if you try hard not to shoot I'm not sure what assist actually means. Here is a stat I'd like to see......."how many attempts to go past an opposition player in the attacking half". Why do people get excited when they see a Danny Mayor dribble? Because it looks bleddy good and is exciting that's why. Watch Lionel Messi. He goes past players and scores which is why most would consider him the world's best player.

15. notDistantGreen

Chasing after the ball when the other side has it is much more tiring than keeping the ball and done properly, it moves the other team about until gaps appear. The trick is to accelerate into those gaps and make chances. That's the bit England didn't do.

One of the pundits bemoaned the absence of Marcus Rashford, who loves to run into space without the ball and that's what we're missing. Forden and Mount are both very good players on the ball but they don't provide that sudden explosive energy.

And I wonder if we really need two defensive midfield players against a "mid-table" team like Poland. It's not as if we're facing Belgium or Germany or Brazil is it?

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

You mentioned Germany.

GERMANY...1-2...NORTH MACEDONIA.....Germany's first World Cup qualifying defeat in 20 years.....only their third loss in qualifying for the World Cup since 1934.

Joachim Low has been in charge for 15 years....looks like he might be on the way out.

The other two defeats were Portugal in 1985.....and can you remember the other one....Germany letting in FIVE at home to ENGLAND.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  17. notDistantGreen

That was also mentioned last night. The year we beat them 5-1, they went on to the Final!

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'M GOBSMACKED.

Scientist have concluded that....."People distracted by their phone while walking in a crowd are less aware of pedestrians around them....which can lead to collisions"....a study has shown.

How much money was thrown at that gobsmacking conclusion I wonder......half the world could have told them that for no more than a bag of crisps......do people now realize that you need to be aware where you're walking by looking in front while you do it.......science is a wonderful thing......<doh><doh><doh>.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

More important than colliding with somebody is the predictable thing that is going on in Northern Ireland at the moment. The Loyalist community feel let down by Brexit. Well you didn't need a scientific study to know that it would happen and I could have told them that for a bag of crisps. Yet another thing coming home to roost following Boris' lies. News also of businesses closing their doors in the UK to move into their trade area which is Europe because it is now too difficult and expensive to continue to make the products here and export them. Yet another thing coming home to roost following Boris' lies. Will it get worse? You bet it will. Also the attempt at the State take over by bringing in the new Crime Bill. Passports to go into the pub. It's only a temporary measure so Boris assures us. We all believe him don't we. He thinks this gullible lot believed me about Brexit so this should pass without a hair being raised. Sad thing is the dumb believers will. Come the Revolution.................

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Bank Holiday Monday is the coldest day of the Easter weekend.....Friday was pleasant and warm enough to sit in the garden.....Saturday was cloudy and definately not a sitting in the garden day.....Sunday was better than anticipated...sunny and warm enough to sit in the garden....and have family around for awhile....very nice......But today is cold and breezy.....plus a few flurries of snow.....a day to stay in..

21. notDistantGreen

Something else that's being kept quiet is the shortages of food on the supermarket shelves. Some who've spoken about it on social media have reported they've been deluged by dozens of almost identical posts saying everything is fine where they are coming from anonymous and newly established accounts. That has all the hallmarks of a troll factory at work pumping out fake news to disguise a problem.

It's hardly surprising that goods are short given we import 80% of what we eat and UK exporters are reporting severe problems getting their goods out the other way. This was of course warned off by the so called Remoaners but what do they know?