1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This one won't be glad hp. Think France might just make us pay an even higher price.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Mrs Plym and I were up Guys Hospital London Bridge getting our first Pfizer jabs today.

Locally we have heard hardly anything about the vaccine being done....just a few very elderly...(that means older than me)

We heard that St Thomas' and Guys Hospitals NHS Trust had started up vaccination centres and were covering other Boroughs in the south east of London including Bromley....so we phoned up last Friday and they took our details and booked us in for today at noon.....we turned up early....and were only second in the queue and got done straight away.....it just leaves me puzzled that we had to go so far to get it.....and it was so well organized there....you felt no pressure and it was all very relaxed..... Plus a 15 minute wait to make sure that you didn't get a reaction and tea or coffee thrown in as well.

Travelled by train (first time in 11 months)...had a whole carriage to ourselves both ways....the hugh concourse at London Bridge's 'new' rebuilt station (took 3 yrs) was below us from the top of the escalators looked literally empty....before Covid it would look as if there were hundreds of ants running around.....the station complex is beneath the platforms quite a place now......and not a place to be in the rush hour.

So booked in for booster jab in April....when I hope the station and trains will be far from empty as we start to get back to normal.....if it isn't then the 'end of the world is nigh'......<doh>.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Glad you've been done if I can put it that way. Takes a week or so to get up to full strength I think.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

But only at it's best a week after the second dose.....so that will be mid-April.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Heard nothing yet and neither has the 85 year old a few doors down. Did hear that Plymouth were only doing jabs for one day a week at the moment because of supply problems. Would not be shocked at that if it is true. You wait, the time scales set out by Ministers will just fall away and never happen. Not saying people won't get the vaccine but no way it will be done as quickly as they are currently promising. Nothing ever goes right when Boris and his Muppets are involved.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Heard reports that the Covid vaccine isn't being offered to those who are first on the Government guide list....I know of only two people older than myself that have been offered the vaccine locally....it seems...and I have also heard on the news... that some councils are immunizing there own staff before the general public and many of these staff would be well down the pecking order.

Also heard that the Oxford-Zeneca vaccine has been causing reactions and cases of people feeling quite poorly...cases of hospital staff unable to work the next day....to the extent of the hospital not giving anymore doses to their own staff... because of having to be off sick next day....beyond the first day all are okay again....but with hospitals having more than their fair share of staff off sick anyway...it is not necessary the right vaccine to be giving to their own people.

No side effect at all from our Pfizer jabs on Tuesday thankfully.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I do feel very sad for Liverpool who lost their first home game after 68 games unbeaten......maybe we should have a whip around for them and buy an appropriate card and at least a big box of chocolates for them......losing to the mighty Burnley...who are 5th bottom of the Premiership....don't Burnley know the rules at Anfield....what is the world coming too........:emoticon-0140-rofl:...:emoticon-0148-yes:...:emoticon-0136-giggl...:smiley-finger007:...<bubbly>...<cracker>...<cheers>...:emoticon-0102-bigsm...<somersault>...:emoticon-0169-dance...:p...:rolleyes:.

8. notDistantGreen

And the winning goal scored by Argyle old-boy Ashley Barnes from the penalty spot.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

....and not to mention Joe Mason scoring a hat-trick for MK against Fleetwood last Tuesday.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's always the little guys who wreck a record for one of the bigger guys. It's tradition in the Prem. Personally I couldn't really care if Liverpool won/lost or drew and who with.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

More important than the Prem. Have you noticed how the trade between us and Europe has suddenly not gone so smoothly as we were told it would? I see clothing online firms are beginning to cancel overseas orders now because of import/export fees either for sending the orders in the first place or paying again for returns if the customer changes their mind. Fresh food rotting in waggons isn't the only thing turning bad it seems.

12. notDistantGreen

There are also nasty surprises on expensive items bought knowingly or unknowingly which will be dispatched from the EU. Such items are being held up in customs until the purchaser pays UK VAT on top of a price that also included EU VAT.

Many online vendors have these distribution structures and they'll be pushed out of the UK market.

On a brighter note, Nissan have announced they are to make batteries for electric vehicles in the UK. That will mean the percentage of UK content in the final product will allow the cars to be sold in Europe. That's rather unexpected but does mean they avoid the costs of closing their UK operation and moving it to Europe, which they certainly would have done otherwise. Not all manufacturers will have that option so we should still expect heavy job losses in high end manufacturing.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Should we show are gratitude to Nissan by giving back the 3pts won at Sunderland...:rolleyes:.

14. notDistantGreen

No. They're ours.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I agree.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sad to hear that Sonny Bradley's father has died of Coronavirus......video on 5 Live Sport were Bradley talks about his dad....who was a fit 57 year old.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The Mesut Ozil Saga is finally over.....made the Forsyte Saga look just like a five minute comic strip..

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Just been reading an article on the beeb news site where some British companies have been advised to set up a holding company in the EU to bypass some of the delays and costs they are currently facing. That in itself isn't really the story. The real story is who is advising them to do it. Yep you couldn't make it up folks it's the British Government. Go export jobs and taxes to the EU girls and boys it'll be alright on the night...................

19. notDistantGreen

Yes I read that too. This situation was like much else that's now going wrong, warned of before the referendum but nobody listened.

20. notDistantGreen

Oh I also saw the story of a business that had grown a good market exporting seafood snacks direct to consumers in the EU. Each pack is worth less than £10 but now requires an export certificate costing £180.