1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Now a 90 ft screen would need an hell of a front room.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He calls his house IMax...................

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It was difficult yesterday. I managed to cast the phone up onto the TV before kick on off but the link was changed at the last minute and so I missed ghe first 5 minutes.

Then at half time something else went wrong and I missed the first 5 minutes of that too. I couldn't get it back on the TV and had to watch it on my PC, missing FGR's goal.

This was streamed only on YouTube and when we get to the real thing it'll be streamed directly on iFollow. Hopefully that will be better.

Still, what we really want is to be in the stadium. Sooner the better.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2988 new Covid19 cases announced yesterday (Sun).....most cases are in the 20-50 yr age group....people just getting too indifferent about it all....but it's not surprising that numbers are going up.....with large group meetings and street markets where social distancing just doesn't exist anymore.

What seems to be happening....and a recent report agreed....is that the virus has become less dangerous....the deaths and those admitted to hospital have dropped dramatically.....and maybe the more sociable element of society are definitely getting more blase about meeting up.......this can in the end divide the country into two social groupings....meaning us older ones will not be risking going out so often and being trapped in our homes.....when the rest do their own selfish thing.

5. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Wow. Talk about selfish :emoticon-0104-surpr

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

That's how it comes over for the older generation....so easy for younger people not showing symptoms to pass it on unknowingly to older relatives/people. because they're out and about more often.

7. notDistantGreen

Hospital admissions and deaths are down because it's predominately the younger age groups who are testing positive, as you say because they aren't sticking to the rules. The younger you are, the less likely to become seriously ill, so it's not that disease has got less dangerous, it's that different people are getting it.

They are of course quite able to pass it on to us older farts!

8. notDistantGreen

As if to prove the point that the young are the problem, Phil Foden and Mason Greenwood have been sent home from the England Nations League squad for breaking Covid19 rules. A fine example........... especially from Foden who struggles to get a game at Manchester City and who you'd think would be keen to show his ability in an England shirt.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

If Boris and his boys didn't keep giving the wrong messages out then maybe just maybe people would still be concerned. They have done nothing but tell young folk that they have nothing to worry about is it therefore surprising they aren't. As for old people being scared to go out then you speak for yourself not all older people. You can go out and be careful yourself. This could be my last year on the planet. You don't know and nor does anyone else . The thought of spending my last days being locked away do not appeal. Therefore I go out but with consideration. It is a matter of personal choice and if I was young I would..................go out. It's what young people do.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

If young men had done there own thing in 1940 the Battle of Britain would have only lasted five minutes.....and we'd all be speaking German now.

As for Foden & Greenwood who probably already earn more money than they know what to do with....they're England careers should be on hold for the foreseeable future.

Greenwood who was asked who he looked up to and wanted to emulate.... mentioned his team mate Marcus Rashford....that has been proven to be a load of hot air and cobblers.

11. notDistantGreen

I haven't forgotten the crowds down at the Barbican, average age about 25 I should think, back in.......... June probably. And that was before bars and restaurants were allowed to serve customers inside and we were still meant to be 2m apart, not 20cm.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The Extinction Rebellion mob are good examples for social distancing....elements among them need keeping an eye on for more than being environmentally aware.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

This "we would all be speaking German" is absolutely utter crap. And it wasn't West Ham who won the world cup anymore than it was only the RAF who won the war. You weren't in it any more than I was so why bring it up as some sort of argument now. There were plenty of people who flouted the rules even then.

These are young people who have a life to lead. It is not a wonder they want to and ignore the rules to a point. Boris Johnson and his mob have been saying for a long time now that young people are not likely to suffer particularly if they get Covid. You can be forgiven then if you are young and having been told you are unlikely to suffer that you chance it and go out and mix. No it isn't wise but then again nor was making the statement to them in the first place. There are plenty of older people who booked a holiday as soon as they could and jetted off to the sunshine. This is despite knowing the bug was still about. It's ok to go abroad and mix and bring god knows what back but not for young people to do it here. I think some of us forget what it is like to be young. I thought I was invincible at that age and so do they. Did I always think of the consequences of my actions...............no of course not anymore than you have always. I find it quite funny that you would slag off youngsters for being irresponsible and then slag off youngsters for trying to be responsible with what happens to their planet. People of Belarus protest on being swindled out of an election result or the people of Hong Kong kicking off about suppression from the Chinese state. Your comment would be "look at those irresponsible lot standing so close together, how dare they".

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Hey notDistant....shush up about the Barbican crowds....you'll have sensible tearing you off a strip in a minute.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You need to read what's written Plym. I said them going out wasn't wise but then added the rider that they are young and invincible and were told they wouldn't die from it by Boris. This is not pre-war when people doffed their caps to the gentry and did everything they were told. Not that they all did even then.

All you have to do is look at other subjects which are not advisable and note the reasons why they are ignored. Try telling a young person that they may catch something nasty or she might get pregnant so you can't do this without a condom when her pants are in her pocket and the moment has arrived. Try telling a young person these days that this or that drug is the end of their world when the only experience they have had with it is having a good time and nothing else. Nothing ever happens to them it is other people bad things happen to. In this case there has been many statements made about young people not being particularly vulnerable to Covid and yet we expect them to stay in and not mix????????????????? Oh come on lets get real here. Young people are irresponsible now but they always have been and if I am honest which I try to be then I have to say I never gave my grannie a thought when I was out with my mates all those years ago having a few and a good time.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A French man in his 80's took out much more than a fly he was attempting to swat....partially destroying his home and rendering it uninhabitable.

The unidentified man was reportedly eating dinner on Friday when he became irritated by the sound of a fly.

Grabbing an electric fly swatter shaped like a raquet...he swung at the insect....but was unaware that a gas cylinder in his home..in Parcoul-Chenaud...in the Dordogne...was leaking.

Fly swatters are designed to emit pulses of electricity that stun or kill an insect as soon as there is contact....A reaction occurred between the electricity from the swatter and the gas....causing an explosion that destroyed part of his kitchen and brought down a section of the ceiling.

He escaped with a burn to his hand....and he then checked into a local campsite.

The fly's fate remains unknown.

Daily Telegraph....Tuesday...08/09/2020.

My thoughts....These high tech equipment jobs are more trouble than there worth....a rolled up paper normally does the job just as well.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Cartoon on the front page of todays Daily Telegraph (11th Sept) by Matt....shows a furniture showroom and a salesman talking to a couple browsing.

Salesman pointing to a table says... "This dining table seats eight, so you'll be arrested if you buy it".

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

SHEXIT ?

The Shetland Islands are to explore options for greater independence amid frustration at Ms Sturgeon's government hoarding power and money. Councillors on the islands voted by 18 to 2 in favour of examining how to achieve "financial and political self-determination". Any changes would be put to its 23,000 residents in a vote.

They will explore if they could become a self-governing Crown dependency like Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Man.

Daily Telegraph....Friday...11/09 2020.

My thoughts.....I bet Boris and the Conservative parties ears pricked up when they heard this......any opening to spike Scotland's Iron lady's authority.

19. notDistantGreen

Unfortunately I think the Scottish District Council is performing significantly better than the shower led by Boris Johnson and misguided devolution is allowing Wee Nicky Krankie to look statesmanlike.

The Union will be lucky to survive Brexit, as will we all. That arch Brexiteer and well known lunatic Stephen Baker has today urged Johnson in the world's least objective newspaper, the Daily Telegraph. to end the absurd, dystopian and tyrannical Covid19 lock-down. That's right, he thinks attempts to save lives are absurd, dystopian and tyrannical. At least he's consistent, he doesn't give a damn what happens to ordinary UK citizens when we leave the EU and he doesn't give a damn who dies from the virus. The Telegraph is owned by the infamous Barclay brothers, who use the newspaper to campaign for a hard Brexit from their homes in Monaco, where they live for "health reasons". Yeah, right.

Our futures in the hands of the likes of them.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A %age of spectators back during October looks like a none starter at the moment...with new infections up 3000 a day now....how will that be allowed to happen....if this situation continues up to and beyond Christmas than there will be some Div 1&2 clubs going seriously broke and the season crumbling into chaos....it is hard to see that without a vaccine available how football can continue in league form.

The R number we're told is between 1 and 1.2.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020