1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My wife comes from Dartmouth plym and I know that area really well. I don't get your doesn't sound too holidayish. It's a beautiful place and would be even better if the grockles stayed away. I served two terms at the Naval College back in the day and it was always a relief when the visitors buggered off.

2. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Dartmouth was the the highlight of my football and cricket season.
    Also fitting out the Officer's Mess in my shopfitting days.
    Outstanding food and beer as well.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

So where do you hail from originally then BC. I married into the Dartmouth scene and go back as far as 1967 with the place. Even I played football then. My brother-in-law played for Dartmouth United from the age of 13. Yep I do mean the grown up team from that age and he was a big lad for his age. That would have been around 1972 when he started. He went on to Manage the club much later. I actually served at the College from 1967 to the beginning of 1970 and went back in 1973 till 1975. I don't visit it as much as I should these days but the inlaws still live there or at least half of them do.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was referring to the wind and the rain not the quality of Dartmouth.....having been lockdowned during months of good weather to go on holiday with rain and wind is not too holidayish is it.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't want all of these visitors here currently but I'm saying nothing.

6. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Born in South Brent 1942.
    Went to Totenes Secondary, Then to Plymstock.
    Played for Efford U18 then to the beer league of Yealmpton.
    Apprentice with Plymouth Shopfitters 1957.
    Emigrated to Canada 1971.
    Married a Canadian Girl, still with her 47 yrs later. 3 Kids, now a Granddad, soon to be a Great Granddad
    I guess i'm now Canadian
    Only with Green blood.

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You are a bit older than me BC so the people you might have known or played football with would not have been on my wavelength at the time although if the team were predominantly Efford kids then I probably knew and even played with their little brothers. I lived and was brought up on the outskirts of Efford and ironically when I worked for the Housing Department I was the Estate Manager for Efford for nearly 20 years. I joined the RN in 1965 so was away from Plymouth mostly for the next 14 years in which time you had emigrated. The one thing we do have in common is the green blood though.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Blimey I'm nearly expecting Eamonn Andrews to come popping out from behind the curtain saying...."This is your life"...listening to this love in of the past by you Two.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Nothing wrong with a bit of male bonding plym. I'm comfortable with sexuality and I'm sure BC is. XX

10. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

With the number of different genders we have these days and the multiplicity of possible combinations of them, you want to be careful about saying you are comfortable with sexuality Sensible. It's a very wide field.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Adam & Eve had no problems back yonder....all other variations are man/woman made.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm too long in the tooth to be worried what anyone thinks I am or even what I think I am these days. I am a combination of some letters of the alphabet in any order you care to put them.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Mrs Plyms birthday today...popped along to our favourite Garden Centre....Coolings quite a flash place with typical prices that match....they have a nice restaurant and tea room....too late for a meal...so we had a drink and a cake....I notice how reasonable the bill was....then remembered that Boris was paying half the bill.

It made me think how the tax payer was footing so much at the moment...that's you and me.....I wouldn't think that anyone would have gone to Coolings just for a 50% reduction on a meal.....I feel that if Coolings were charging us full price they wouldn't have noticed less people there....just a massive waste of public funds.

To be honest since the lockdown.... I've been based at home... not spending money around the shops....putting far less petrol in the car....just a pleasant change to finances....and then when I do spend a little...the Government pay half of it.....:huh:.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I went out this evening with my daughter and family. We had a 3 course meal and drinks at a pasta bar on the Barbican. I didn't have a third course and nor did my missus. The bill came to £66 and a bit with a round of drinks thrown in. No thanks to Boris but thanks to me as a tax payer. The Government does not have any money except ours. Boris paid for none of it. I was once told by a local Councillor that he had an amount of money to spend in his constituency and he was prepared to spend it on the park area outside where I live. He of course could not spend all of "his "money there. I pointed out that he wasn't spending any of his money on anything he was spending mine. He then wasn't prepared to discuss anything with me further. Government either local or national does not have money. It is our money not theirs and they should never ever refer to it as theirs in any shape or form. If you allow them to then more fool you. Second point being that the place was not full to the rafters. Neither was the Barbican. The reason probably that a number were there was because the discount was on offer. Nothing stupid about any of it.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  15. notDistantGreen

Many in the leisure industry in the SW have said the meal discount is money wasted. In these peak months, they are effectively at full capacity after social distancing meadures and they'd have much preferred the help in the Autumn.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Had a real pain of a day yesterday. Started with it peeing down just as me and her left home to get a bus to visit her brother and sister in law. Had to get a second bus from town as the ones from my area don't go near where they live. Got on the bus and when it was due to leave it wouldn't start. The driver just got off the bus and shut the door without a word to the passengers so we were stuck there. He came back just in time for us to get off and get the bus behind. Left the inlaws and yep you guessed it it pee'd down again.

Went to make a drink for her ladyship yesterday evening and couldn't fill the kettle. No water. Checked with neighbours and they didn't have any either. Phoned waterboard and got a recorded answer that there was a problem in my area and an engineer was on his way to investigate. This was about 9pm. Kept an eye on their website for info which was not really forthcoming. Then a comment was made by somebody in the area to say how wonderful they were and the water was back. That was around midnight. Went to fill the kettle and the tap and pipes nearly exploded off the wall. A bleddy airlock in the pipes. I went to bed rather pee'd off and really looking forward to today and potentially what I might have to do. Looked up online how to clear an airlock and had a bash and fortunately it worked. After a few splutters and coughs and funny looking water it ran clear and as per normal. The area close by was flooded and some houses were waste deep. At least that wasn't me so something to be grateful for. If I ever got flooded others would be in real trouble as I live uphill a bit. This rain is ridiculous at the minute. It doesn't just rain it's like a waterfall from the sky and I don't think I've seen so much at this time of year ever. Any bets there is a drought next month.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Miserable few days sensible....BUT Argyle didn't lose a league game did they ?....okay they haven't played one yet....so they haven't lost....so everything isn't quite at rock bottom yet.

We've had our share of rain and wind....and earlier (7am) I was outside and it was definately cold....so the heat and dry weather of a month ago are long gone....I'll stow the electric fans away for another year then.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

FA Community Shield today.....Arsenal...v...Liverpool.....What do we get on the telly.....the women's version....Chelsea...v...Man C on the BBC.....Sky's cast-offs again.

Anyway Argyle...v... F G Rovers being streamed free to us 1pm....I just hope the quality of the streaming is better than the Parkway match.....there'll be no commentary....if you miss a goal you'll never know until you look up the result later.

19. notDistantGreen

This is addressed to Sensible: the arrangements by which season ticket holders can view Argyle's home games online are on the club website. They are quite complicated: a unique pass code will be emailed to each individual for each game and you'll then need the iFollow app installed on a relevant device.

I believe you are still resisting the lure of a smartphone so you'd better start planning!

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Thanks notdistant but no need to worry. I leave all the technical stuff to No.1 son and I will probably buy a bottle of white and go to his house and watch it on his super sized HD brilliant 90 foot screen TV. It isn't quite 90 ft but it's bleddy big. On the other hand I am looking on the bright side that it will only be for a couple of games and then we will get selected to be in the ground every time. And there goes another flying pig..................