1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rovers Job....huh ?

2. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Hi guys.....bloody media these days are atrocious, just want to cause unrest so it benefits them!

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We had better get used to the idea he will be linked elsewhere. 2 seasons as a manager and 2 promotions is a reasonable CV in anyone's book.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Agreed, but there isn't a single fact in that article apart from that bookies are taking bets on various managers.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Had my first encounter with an "Electric Scooter" yesterday (7th).......I was driving along in traffic at 30mph.....when suddenly some male teenager whizzed past me on the inside...then crossed in front of me and overtook the car in front on the outside...cut in front of that one....then mounted the curb and raced down the cycle path into the distance.

They are being made legal and should be......

1.....Ridden only on the road........this one wasn't
    2.....Driven at a maximum of 14.5mph........this one was doing at least 35mph.
    3.....Crash helmet required...........no crash helmet being worn.
    4.....Only legal ones are hired ones........there our hundreds/thousands of these privately owned...will there owners not use them and hire one instead...Oh yea.

This one had a seat to sit on....(does that make it still a scooter ?)......I couldn't see how it could be scootered along once the battery went flat....and personally I felt it looked totally unsafe and gave no protection at all if it crashed... to the rider.....pedestrians wouldn't hear it coming when ridden on the pavement.

Obviously no licence required...no test required....personally no thought gone into making these disaster weapons safe to the public.

Also

Regular phone call with an electronic voice telling me that £600 had been taken from my account and I should phone this number to confirm that this is the case.....happened twice yesterday and probably five times in the last week or so.....and also other calls over the weeks...with a different approach.....I had set up a nuisance call system....but it only lasts a few days and they start again......I can just visualize some old person living by themselves falling for this approach and phoning the mentioned number to check it out......scumbags ....people who con old people....playing on their fears and worries.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I get phone calls all the time and that's with or without a nuisance call system. I think they have learnt to get round that. The favourite one used to be Paul/Fred/Anthony/Mark/Michael with a distinctly Asian accent calling me to say there was a problem with my computer. My reply was often 4 letters long but sometimes I wold have a chat. Like "Oh hello Michael. Where did you say you were calling from". "Really so how long have you lived there". 5 minutes later "Michael do you really think I'm going to fall for that crap. Why not just f*** off now and do us both a favour". They always hang up on me although I can't think why. Then there is the prerecorded message that tells me they will cut off my internet in 24 hours unless I resolve this issue and press one for ...... I can't even swear at that one. I think though that anyone who cons anybody is a scumbag.

7. notDistantGreen

I'm plagued with scam stuff too. My TV licence direct debit has failed (don't pay by DD), I've won the competion i entered with Samsung (didn't enter any such thing) , my internet connection is about to be cut off (oh no it isn't), I haven't paid my taxes & unless I pay money to HMRC immediately there will a High Court judgement against me (oh no there won't) and so on ad nauseum).

OK, I do virtually everything online but I think it's age, all they need is your DOB and they think you have dementia.

8. notDistantGreen

My gas & electricity contract ends in Seprember and as I'm already getting time limited offers of new deals I thought it was time to see what's out there.

Did you know electricity is now 7 tmes, yes 7, more expensive per kWh than gas?

It won't be long before the Government wants to take our gas boilers away. Shiver and weep.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You sum it up nicely though notdistant. You didn't enter or you don't pay by that method etc. I don't think being old is an excuse for being stupid and these scams are so basic generally that if they fall for them then to be fair it's a bit their own fault. I have one rule on my machine. If I didn't ask for it then I don't open it and delete it without reading. If I didn't phone them then I won't generally talk to them if they phone me. I always check my bank statements. It's hardly difficult is it.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So to keep the likes of Gary Lineker in the splendour that they have becomed accustomed too... the BBC will now be charging those over the age of 75 the TV licence fee of £157.50 a year in August or risk a criminal prosecution.

Oliver Dowden the Culture Secretary, said he felt "let down" by the BBC's decision and warned that it would "have an impact" on whether non-payment was downgraded from a criminal offence in courts.

Age UK said the BBC's timing, when hundreds of thousands of pensioners were still shielding, was "another kick in the teeth during a terrible year". It said it was worried about the "mental health of older people living on their own," and those for whom "the TV really is their window on the world".

Add to this the Freedom pass being stopped for early travel on buses before 9am during the pandemic ...and you begin to wonder if it's open season for kicking a pensioner.

Maybe the next thing will be a reduction in hair cutting costs being done away with for pensioners at the barbers....just when we all need an hair cut....well those of us who have got hair and aren't too tight and get it done at home......:rolleyes:.

11. notDistantGreen

The BBC is one of the nation's crown jewels because of it's trustworthy journalism and high quality output.

It's under attack from hard right extremists in the Tory party that want to push us farther into Sky and Rupert Murdoch.

It must be defended.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I get a little upset at pensioners bleating on about not having enough to live on. Those that don't get additional benefits other than just a state pension. This is free money that they made no provision for when they worked. I don't get it because I paid in over 45 years for pensions. I also don't need a Heating Allowance. Most people I know booked a holiday trip on their money or it paid for their Christmas. Anything but heating as intended. The same applies to the TV Licence. Most don't need it and the ones who will still get it as as above, the ones who made no provision for themselves when working. So the needy won't pay. The vast majority of pensioners do not need to be cluttering up public transport whilst workers are trying to get to work. The amount of times most need to travel before 9 30am is counted on one finger. The alternative to a TV Licence is you would have to sit through 15 minutes of adverts every hour. The amount of revenue the adverts make for a channel would inevitably be less leading to less spent on programmes. They are bad enough already without that adding to it.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'm not sure if I've kept up with what's been happening at Bolton....a points deduction...plus relegation to the bottom league and sacking their manager suggests to me that things are not going well in Bolton at the moment.

Yet they get the manager they want....Ian Evatt from his successful time at Barrow.....and then they beat Sunderland, Salford plus Swindon (who have offered him a new contract)....for the signature of Eoin Doyle....who scored 25 goals in 28 starts at Swindon last season.

They must of... financially out bid Swindon who were keen to keep him....and if that isn't enough Sunderland as well.....surely Doyle hasn't chickened out of playing at an higher level with Swindon...and although his contract had finished they offered him a new one....they would have been mad not too.....seeing his goals alone won them promotion....so they must of offered him a good deal.

Salford also failed to entice him to them as well....and it seems that although they were favourites for Sarcevic's signature... he also seems to be going to Bolton as well.

Doyle's deal at Bolton must be good to stop Sunderland enticing him to them....but of course they are in Division one....and maybe Doyle want's to stay in the bottom league at his age...because he knows he can still do it down there.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So sad to hear that Jackie Charlton died on Friday at 85 years of age....he had been suffering with lymphomia and dementia.

When you think of his strength as a central defender heading the ball you can see the link there now is with dementia and football.

Must be a sad time for his family and all the Irish fans he made....plus of course his younger brother Bobby.....both world cup winners in 1966.

15. notDistantGreen

One case doesn't make a connection and neither do lawyers looking for compensation (by which I don't mean the Charlton family, but you can see the momentum building up).

There needs to be a proper scientific assessment of whether there is a connection and this needs to take into account changes in the game over the years. Modern plastic balls don't double their weight when it rains and there's probably far less heading, at least in the professional game. 15 or 20 years ago most teams relied on a tall Number 9 challenging for high balls and centre backs combated that. It's rarely seen these days.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I thought that there had been quite a lot of assessment of players from the days of heavier leather balls.....Jeff Astle was a case in question......and the video's shown today of Jack Charlton certainly showed him slamming his head into balls.

Alan Shearer did a program about it a year or so back...with scientific assessment showing what happens to the brain during heading of the ball.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I used to admire the Leeds team of his era and they were head and shoulders ability wise above the norm. Great players who ironically didn't win a load of stuff. Hard as nails as well. I think there must be a connection to the dementia and heading ball question of old. There seems to be a fair amount of the disease about in pro footballers of that time. If not that something similar. I remember the old footballs and have to say never tried to head one if I could avoid it being a complete coward. My job was crossing it to allow some other idiot to do the heading bit. Trying to lift a wet leather ball into the middle from the wing was hard enough.

18. notDistantGreen

It may be that some problems might have been caused in the past: Jeff Astle and Danny Blanchflower are said to be victims. However, Jack Charlton, for whom heading must have been 75% of his game, lived to 85 and died of lymphoma as well as dementia.

But even if these deaths were linked to heading the ball (and dementia and similar diseases does strike some young), the question is whether what happens in games now warrants a change in the rules. In addition to lighter balls and less heading, I forgot to mention stricter rules about head injuries and it's important players are hauled off if there's even a doubt that they've been unconscious, however briefly, or may have suffered concussion.

I don't anyone to get hurt in any sport but there's a lot of namby-pambyism out there these days as well as a blossoming compensation culture which feeds the fire, If we can allow professional boxing (4 deaths in the last 12 months) and mixed martial arts (approx one death every 2 years) I think we can probably go on heading a 425g football.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

With the modern day ball I don't think it's the same as bygone days. You can't really play football without heading being part of it. There is enough taken out of the game these days as it is. One thing Jackie Charlton did say is that he didn't think he would be playing today given the way he played then. Not that he was rubbish but because he wouldn't last a half let alone a game. Mind you when tackled by him if you fell down it wasn't because you dived.

20. notDistantGreen

The Court for Arbitration in Sport has overturned the 2 year ban on Man City's participation in the Champions League for financial irregularities and cut the fine imposed on it from €30m to €10m.

A craven decision and a green light to other clubs to buy success by crooked means.