1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You getting heavy handed sensible ?

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Some things are just worth saying twice plym..........

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

No it's not. This referred to something Imperial College (my old alma mater) is involved in.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Social Distancing could be the norm until a vaccine is produced to defeat it.....so we're being told.

Where does that leave sport and its fans.....are we saying no spectators for a year or so ?....if that's the case then sport cannot survive......accept for county cricket ....that's been watched by one man and his dog for years

5. notDistantGreen

Don't forget the need to develop "herd immunity". Once the pressure is off the NHS, there will be a desire to restart industry and education. It may be that some lower risk groups (school kids, workers under 50 and fit young sportsmen) are given more freedom before those like, ahem, us,

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Article on the front of todays Telegraph (Fri).

Hopes that Britain can achieve widespread Covid-19 immunity by the end of the lockdown were dealt a devastating blow yesterday by research suggesting only a small proportion of the population may have acquired resistance to the disease.

Drawing on the research, Prof Anthony Costello, a former British director of the World Health Organization, today warns the UK faces eight to ten waves of coronavirus before the population achieves herd immunity.

In such a scenario, both the death toll and economic consequences would be catastrophic.

In March, before the lockdown was introduced, Sir Patrick Vallance, the country's chief scientific advisor, said about 40 million people in the UK would need to catch the coronavirus to ensure "herd immunity" and prevent the disease coming back in the future.

But today Prof Costello, the chairman of global health at University College London, will heavily criticise the Government's strategy in tackling Covid-19 in evidence to the Commons health and social care select committee. He will say the failure to conduct widespread testing in favour of relying solely on the lockdown will leave Britain facing wave after wave of coronavirus until a vaccine is found.

......article continues......Daily Telegraph...Friday...17/04/2020.

My thoughts.....Wow if that is true....you will probably be the next Superman if you withstand TEN waves of Covid-19.....stand aside Dr Who....here I come.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

When you think you've heard everything possible about the USA....they prove you wrong again.

Demonstrations outside of many State Capitols against the USA's stay-at-home orders and business closures in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.

Protesters demonstrating with banners with comments like......'We will not comply'.....'My constitutional rights are essential'.....'Land of the free'.....'We want to work'.....'Hands off our citizens'.....'Release me'.....'Facts over fear'.....'I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery'.....One State governor had the demonstrators chanting at him...'You're not a King, we won't kiss your ring'......others turned up carrying their guns and rifles.

Interestingly,...some of the demonstrators where wearing Trump hats.....and of course we also know that President Trump wants to lift the shutdown and get America back to work....and he is at loggerheads with most of the State Governors over this.

Lots of pics in the Telegraph today showing demonstrators/mobs....placards....and of course the gun lobby rifle carrying brigade.....

Personally let them get on with it....on the understanding that if they get the virus they don't come back bleating that it is their democratic right to receive treatment.

8. notDistantGreen

The tide seems to be turning against the Government's handling of the virus crisis, which I thought they were handling quite well to start with.

The story is in the paper today that experts were warning as early as late January but for one reason or another, including Johnson being AWOL first with the Brexit signing, then dealing with his divorce, then swanning off for a free holiday at Chevening and then announcing the pregnancy, nothing happened for weeks. Not only were extra PPE and ventilators not ordered but 250k PPE items were sent to Wuhan to support efforts there. After a reassuring look to the stats at the beginning of all this, we now don't look too good. We are better only than the US and similar to Spain.

please log in to view this image

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't know why anyone would think Boris could get his head around anything. The bloke is a dick. He still believes he is Churchill reincarnated and life is like Have I got News for You. If you recall all of the Churchillian like speeches he tried to make sounding like he was in charge and all that for a couple of weeks you now can easily see it is all wind and water and not one grain of substance in any of it. Like Trump, Boris is just proving us all right in the end. I bet you he won't sink with the ship though and will be off to sunnier climes as soon as possible with his own fortune intact. The pips must be beginning to squeak with some of his cronnies because you now get the possibility of relaxing this and that business wise and I will bet it has nothing to do with things getting better medically.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It does seem that social distancing is with us until we can get an answer to coronavirus with a jab etc.....this does seem to point towards a situation where we will not be having any form of event such as...cinema, theatre and sport events for well into 2021.

How can we have league football that is financially viable anymore.

It does seem hard to understand how this season can be completed.....how can you have any form of contact sport such as football and keep social distancing as the government require....it ain't going to happen.

The EFL can't keep kicking the can down the road for ever.....many players contracts will end at the end of June.....what happens then....personally the season should finish now.

11. notDistantGreen

Nothing seems to have been published officially but it's being rumoured on social media that a number of League 2 clubs DID argue for the season to be abandoned.

Teams like Colchester are, surprise, surprise, keen to complete the season one way or another

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52374576

but again, surprise surpise, the likes of Oldham and Scunthorpe, relatively big names that could still drop out of the league, are named as among those keen to abort the whole thing.

Of course, you can believe about 5% of what you read on Twitter on a good day but this is one of those you instinctively KNOW is true.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Stating the bleedin obvious..............the top 3 are bound to want the season over and for positions to count. The next 4 are bound to want to complete the season one way or another. Maybe one or two others would fit that category. The next 16 want it ended and don't care if it's as it stands or null and void as long as it doesn't cost them anything. The last one wants the season either to continue or to be null and void. It is not hard to work that out is it. There are only 3 teams who would vote for as it stands if the season is ended now. The rest have no interest in the benefit to the top 3. There is no way Stevenage would vote for anything other than null and void.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

STAY AT HOME, SAVE LIVES, PROTECT THE NHS.

What part of that message do some people not understand......there are those that are threatening the hard work put in by the many... for their own selfish desires.

Pictures in the paper today showing scenes like.........

1..... Bournemouth sea front with hundreds of people doing far more than a daily constitutional. This is an area I know well, there is a police car parked along the front and the police look totally powerless in the situation.

2.....Wimbledon Common people sitting on seats they've brought with them ignoring a policeman.

3.....Swansea Bay man coming out of the sea after a swim.....three police officers waiting to have a word with him.

4.....Greenwich Park....two men stripped down to their trunks sunbathing....a police car drives across the grass to have a word with them.

When the Government makes a decision to relax the restrictions on businesses, shops etc being lifted by a tad or two...you can just see that there will be some types who will go straight over the top and take a yard instead of the inch offered....and before we know it....a second wave Covid-19 will be upon us.

We could end up having to have a written pass to allow us to leave our homes....and it will last longer than the four weeks we've experienced at the moment.

Staying at home isn't that difficult is it......unless it's not....'Home sweet home'.

There are thousands of families who know how important it is to stay home and protect lives....who have lost a loved one to Covid-19 who would love the chance to have that person back again and safe at home with the family.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The weather has been kind for the last month. However, staying at home in a garden with grass and flowers is one thing and quite easy but staying at home on the eighth floor of a block of flats with nothing to look at but the block of flats next door is completely another. Which one do you experience Plym?

I can perfectly understand why people want to go and sit somewhere else other than staring at the walls of their home. Going to a seafront and sitting on a seat/chair/wall/the sand is not breaking the rules of isolating. If you can go to a Supermarket and shop by staying a couple of yards away from the other shoppers then you can do that on a seafront just as well if not better. This applies to other open spaces. Why not exercise in water just as well as running around a park. You still aren't mixing closely with other people. I just think people are being stupid expecting everyone to just do what they want them to do and nothing else. If you think it's fine for everyone to stay in then stay in your own house and never venture past an exit door. You may not be so keen on imprisonment after a few weeks. However, if people are venturing out and are infringing the close up rules and not caring then sure, pick them up and teach them a lesson.

As for the Police, I live next to a park as I've told you all previously. The Police have been driving up the street presumably intent on picking up transgressors. The last three visits from them have seen them drive up the street, turn the vehicle around in the turning bay outside my house and without even slowing down driving out of the street again. They could not possibly see all around the park and did not even get out of the car. These are the people we are supposed to be grateful to for keeping us safe. The ones who in reality cannot be bothered to do the small task they have been set of overseeing the exercisers on recreational ground. If they investigate crime like they are doing this job when times are normal no wonder the clear up rate is so small.

15. notDistantGreen

I'm with you Sensible, the police need to show common sense. I don't have a dog, but if I did I'd have the choice of walking it around city streets where there are still people going about their business (queuing mostly) or put in the car and drive for 15 minutes up to the downs this side of Yelverton where there are acres and acres to spare. Which is more socially responsible? I suspect the police would insist on the former, I don't agree.

16. notDistantGreen

I've been watching HMS Queen Elizabeth going in and out of the Sound this morning, her first visit as far as I know.

Also on naval matters, I see the captain of HMS Trenchant has been removed from his post after allowing the crew to hold a homecoming BBQ on the quayside after the submarine returned from patrol. Do they not count as one very large household having been together underwater since before the virus arrived in the UK?

Also on virus matters, ALL of the convictions under coronovirus regulations have been withdrawn and I think will be retried after it became clear all had been prosecuted under the wrong legislation. This includes the woman arrested for "loitering between platforms" at a railway station. That rather reminds me of the comedy sketch in which a racist police constable is reprimanded by his superior for arresting the same black man several times under charges including ""walking in a loud shirt in a built-up area during the hours of darkness", "loitering with intent to use a pedestrian crossing" and "being in possession of an offensive wife".

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Didn't I see something back in the autumn about HMS Liz passing by the sound briefly ?

Also HMS Trenchant.....hadn't it come back early for repairs ?....so could it be going out to finish it's patrol time...so BBQ not appropriate whatever the situation.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Lets get this into perspective. HMS Trenchant had been away for months on patrol and got into difficulty repair wise and came back to get sorted. The Crew had been more isolated than any other section of the planet. They were stuck in the Dockyard waiting for the repairs to be completed with nothing to do. They could not go anywhere, even home, because they had to stay isolated as they would return to the deep once more on patrol. They had a BBQ on dockside with nobody else, that's nobody else, anywhere near them. The Admiral who is obviously a miserable git thought they shouldn't have any recreation time and said it wasn't advisable to have a BBQ. The Skipper thought different and let them with absolutely no harm done to anyone at all. So, if you wanted to have a BBQ in your garden with nobody else around you then you think that is wrong? I have been on a ship that did 7 to 8 weeks at a time physically at sea without touching land for months and months at a time. Trust me when I say that when you do that having been cooped up in a tin can with the same people over and over again you need a little bit of recreation time when you can get it.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Thought of the day.

The great plague of 1665 came to and end after the fire of London in 1666.....does it give you any ideas of the way ahead.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We do like to have a self-destruct button in this country......Some councils have opened their refuge tips.....result.....lines of cars queuing and social distancing impossible......London Broadway Street Market open....result....packed with people shoulder to shoulder.

Some of those not touched by Covid-19 have no idea of how it can rip families apart.....28,000 families have first hand knowledge of what it can do and how it will leave a permanent scar on them for life......it's not just Americans who are stupid.