1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

And at the moment is refusing to request an extension to Brexit even though it's clearly going nowhere until the virus is contained.

Just to remind anyone who thinks it's all over: a no deal Brexit merely because the clock has been allowed to run down would be disastrous for the UK.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Churchill was at his finest as a war time leader of a coalition government.....as a peace time Conservative PM he was rubbish.

A woman seen riding around Westminster with a placard telling us all to pray for Boris.

I feel that at the moment it is the position of PM we should all be rallying around....whoever holds the position to uphold the moral of the nation.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The EU aren't in a fit state to discuss anything at the moment especially Brexit....they're splitting up into individual nations doing their own thing regarding Covid-19...no sign of a united approach to defeat the coronavirus is happening.

4. notDistantGreen

Exactly. So we must stop the clock.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I see in today's obituaries that Sir Peter Viggers has died at 82 years of age.

He will always be remembered as the Conservative MP who claimed £1,645 on his expenses for a floating duck house.

The expenses scandal also showed that he claimed £30,000 for "gardening" , including 28 tons of manure, much of this he eventually repaid.....but the more trivial amount of £1,645 for his "Stockholm" style 5ft tall floating duck house lives on.... and dominates his obituary putting into the shade many good things he did in his political career.

David Cameron made him stand down as an MP at the next general election......it was all quackers in the end........:rolleyes:.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Greater Manchester Police had to break up last week....

494 House parties.
    166 Street parties...some with bouncy castles and DJ's.

Bloody northerners.

BBC News report.

7. notDistantGreen

Meanwhile, one chief constable has been talking about setting up road blocks and searching people's shopping at the supermarket to make sure they haven't got anything that isn't "essential".

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

They've now have changed that and put out a statement to that effect......that they will not be doing that......so no need to hide that box of chocolates and that lottery ticket.

9. notDistantGreen

But you see the instinctive reaction......

Better fit they were doing more to stop holiday maker traffic as well as breaking up larger gatherings than worrying about who walks their dog where or who buys what. If the Government says it's legal to sell something, them it must be legal to buy it. If the stores aren't behaving, then go for them, not the shoppers.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We saw on the net yesteday a patrol car stop a car with a canoe on its roof....found out that they were going on holiday to the Lake District to walk and canoe....they had already travelled 80 miles....and they were told to go back home....some people seem to live on a parallel universe that have different rules than here.

11. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If this were ordinary times then going to a secluded place to do things between the couple would seem quite reasonable. The thinking behind it that is. But, what people seem to be missing is the "spirit" of the instructions. One person or couple doing what they were doing would be ok but if one is allowed it would be a very short time before thousands followed them and the wilderness would be busier than Picadilly Circus. This is what bypasses the hard of comprehending. They only get the I want to do bit and not any sort of bigger picture at all. I do draw a line at dictating to shoppers what they can or can't buy when they go for their shopping though. If they go for the essentials and get a couple of other non essentials at the same time then what is the harm in that.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The TV program Holby City has given the NHS Nightingale London its ventilators that they use on their program making at Elstree Studios........<confused>...:huh:.

13. notDistantGreen

I thought they were as wooden as the acting.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Did they share them with...."Casualty".....or is there more to give to the NHS ?

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Will our lives ever be the same again.

Will we ever be the same as we were 6 months ago.

Will the future need to be structured differently.

Will we have to live with the thought of Covid-19 lingering in our future....until a solution has been produced to protect us....just like all the other ailments have been overcome with research over the years.

At the moment each day is like the last....in lock down staying at home.....after awhile without the old structure of daily life... each day becomes the same and you have to think awhile to remember what day of the week it is.

Easter came and went and wasn't really celebrated as families normally do....days out... or meals together....or for those that wanted to go to church or the pub or a weekend away.

.....and of course no game to go to....a pasty a pint.... and to talk the game over...win, draw or lose.....but now just nothing.

What some will experience will be loss.....a family member or a friend who have died...before their time.

High Streets will change when we eventually start using them again....some shops will have gone to the wall and gone bust... and people maybe that we had a nodding acquaintance with we might never see again.

Some have lost their jobs and unemployment we're told could reach two million....yes time have changed.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Will our lives ever be the same again.

Will we ever be the same as we were 6 months ago.

Will the future need to be structured differently.

Will we have to live with the thought of Covid-19 lingering in our future....until a solution has been produced to protect us....just like all the other ailments have been overcome with research over the years.

At the moment each day is like the last....in lock down staying at home.....after awhile without the old structure of daily life... each day becomes the same and you have to think awhile to remember what day of the week it is.

Easter came and went and wasn't really celebrated as families normally do....days out... or meals together....or for those that wanted to go to church or the pub or a weekend away.

.....and of course no game to go to....a pasty a pint.... and to talk the game over...win, draw or lose.....but now just nothing.

What some will experience will be loss.....a family member or a friend who have died...before their time.

High Streets will change when we eventually start using them again....some shops will have gone to the wall and gone bust... and people maybe that we had a nodding acquaintance with we might never see again.

Some have lost their jobs and unemployment we're told could reach two million....yes time have changed.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sorry about the above....I'm definitely getting more melancholy late into the evening....I'll be nipping down the M25 to play with the traffic soon....but I remember mentioning that before....all the traffic will be parked along side it with similar people to myself.....and hardly any traffic to play with on the motorway.

Been browsing through my large selection of books....and came across....Tommy Coopers..."Secret Joke Files".....Ok I do remember bombarding you with this before but it brings a smile to my face....so why should you lot stay miserable for ever.

A few one liners

1.....He has a speech impediment.....every time he opens his mouth his wife interrupts.

2.....He may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you.....he is an idiot.

3.....I know a guy whose wife made him a millionaire.....before that he was a multi-millionaire.

4.....For years I used to run up and down the scales with my fingers....I used to work in a fish shop.

5.....I made a killing in the stock market.....I shot my broker.

6.....The only time we see our neighbours is when we try to borrow back our lawnmower.

7.....I said, 'Don't you recognise me?'....He said, 'why is there a reward'

8.....I served 87 cups of tea....I must get a new tea bag !

9.....Where there's smoke....there's toast !

10.....I was at a party the other night....My wife said, 'Stop saying, "one more for the road"." We live here. !'

11.....I was at a party with so many famous people.....I was the only one there I'd never heard of !

12.....This guy came up to me the other night and said, 'Quick !... Did you see a policeman around here ?'....I said, 'No'...He said, 'Good Stick em up !'

13.....When a woman marries a man, why does she take his name ?...Why not ?...She takes everything else he's got.

13.....My wife's a magician.....she can turn anything into an argument.

14.....The food was on the table....but I insisted on plates !

15.....I've only read two of Shakespeare's plays.....Romeo and Juliet !

16.....One day a guy came up to me and said, 'Hey Mr Cooper, I want you to know that you're number one on my hit parade'...so he hit me !

17.....I went window shopping.....I couldn't find a window my size.

18.....I'm so shy, I can't take a bath unless I blindfold my rubber duck.

19.....The first time my wife saw me cut off the end of a cigar she said, 'Why don't you buy them the right size?'

20.....Last night I slept like a log....I woke up in the fireplace.

21.....An Indian chief walked into a restaurant,...The waiter said, 'Do you have a reservation ?....He said, 'Certainly....in Arizona'.

22.....I feel like a mosquito in a nudist colony....I don't know where to begin.

23.....Two fleas were going shopping,....one said, 'Shall we walk or take a dog ?

24.....Electricity is a wonderful thing.....Do you realize that if we didn't have it,....we would be watching TV by candlelight ?

25.....People learn something new every day.....why just today my wife learned that a car won't climb a telegraph pole.

Plenty more where they came from....just ask if you want more.....good job you lot don't live near the M25.

18. notDistantGreen

You are getting down in the dumps Plym!

There's reasonable hope now of a vaccine being in production by the end of the summer, with British scientists in the lead.

Engineers at the Mercedes F1 team (entirely based in the UK!) have developed a cheap valve thingy to make thousands of positive pressure oxygen masks available, reducing the strain in intensive care wards. The designs have been made available free to anyone anywhere in the world,

Captain Tom Moore, who is 100 years old at the end of the month and who served in the Army in WW2 and set out to raise £1,000 for the NHS by walking up and down his garden with a walking frame, broke the internet yesterday when he appeared on BBC Breakfast, has in fact just gone through £6m level. Poor forecasting I call it.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/tomswalkforthenhs

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Further to you comment on a possible vaccine......

Two pharmaceutical companies, who have joined forces, hope to have a Covid-19 vaccine by the middle of next year.

Sanofi and GSK have signed a letter of intent to collaborate, and their vaccine is expected to enter clinical trials in the second half of this year.

Sanofi will contribute its S-protein Covid-19 antigen, while GSK is offering its pandemic adjuvant, which enhances human immunity.

An adjuvant can reduce the amount of vaccine protein required per dose, allowing more doses to be produced.

Paul Hudson, chief executive of Sanofi, said: "It is clear that no one company can go it alone. This is why Sanofi is continuing to complement its expertise and resources with our peers, such as GSK, with the goal to create and supply sufficient quantities of vaccine,"

Emma Walmsley, chief executive of GSK, said: "By combining our science and our technologies, we believe we can help accelerate the global effort to develop a vaccine."

The firms aim to complete the development required for availability by the second half of 2021.

Daily Telegraph...Wednesday....April 15th 2020.

PS......If that is the same article that you mentioned notDistant....it is only beginning trials in the second half of 2020 ?....but would be great to have a vaccine available in 2020.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

If you look back in time there is always something fairly new that turns up. Nature has a way of inventing a new illness and man has a way of inventing a cure in the end. It has been ever thus and no doubt at some point one will turn up for this. Give it a period of time and nature will strike back and invent another one. This one will though, because of the way we live these days, cause meltdown financially for years to come world wide. However be sure that somebody will become very rich on the back of it somewhere. The bill for everything promised and done will be presented one day soon and there will be howls of grief to be heard everywhere. The EU is being shown to be 20+ individual countries rather than a mass of one. Their bill is going to be something off the scale and who pays for what may well kill it when the people find out. There may not be a need to negotiate an exit at all eventually as there will be nothing left to exit.

I keep hearing about football not being the same once the clamps are taken off. Well nothing will be the same for a few years to come let alone sport. It will be interesting to see who remains at the end of this and who goes to the wall. It will also be interesting to see how the wages paid to players goes. Multi million pound contracts? We shall see.

21. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

If you look back in time there is always something fairly new that turns up. Nature has a way of inventing a new illness and man has a way of inventing a cure in the end. It has been ever thus and no doubt at some point one will turn up for this. Give it a period of time and nature will strike back and invent another one. This one will though, because of the way we live these days, cause meltdown financially for years to come world wide. However be sure that somebody will become very rich on the back of it somewhere. The bill for everything promised and done will be presented one day soon and there will be howls of grief to be heard everywhere. The EU is being shown to be 20+ individual countries rather than a mass of one. Their bill is going to be something off the scale and who pays for what may well kill it when the people find out. There may not be a need to negotiate an exit at all eventually as there will be nothing left to exit.

I keep hearing about football not being the same once the clamps are taken off. Well nothing will be the same for a few years to come let alone sport. It will be interesting to see who remains at the end of this and who goes to the wall. It will also be interesting to see how the wages paid to players goes. Multi million pound contracts? We shall see.