1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just been reading about plans to turn Victoria House in Cattedown Road into Plymouth City Heliport....with links to Gatwick, Exeter and Newquay.

It has been eight years since the Airport was put into mothballs and with the fragile rail service to the rest of the country....plus the lack of motorways near Plymouth....this can only be seen as a positive move.

With all this talk of enpowering the Midlands and North after the election results up that way....you could easily think the the West Country could drop further behind....and with most seats already Tory in the West it is hard so see how things will improve......an Heliport would be at least a start.....some government funding might help it happen......I would think some of you locals would know more ?

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Yes I didn't quite understand it. Plymouth to Gatwick in a helicopter taking off from Cattedown as a commercial service? Surely not. I think it flies to Exeter or Newquay where you catch a plane to Gatwick..............

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

184 miles as the crow flies to Gatwick.....not sure what speed an Helicopter would do......but must be faster than making it a two flight journey

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I would guess it would be at most 2 hours and probably less. What price though given it would hardly be a jumbo helicopter. They couldn't make the airport pay so have doubts about this alternative.

5. notDistantGreen

It wouldn't pay for ordinary commercial passengers: helicopters are horrendously expensive to run: all those gearboxes, bearings and having to tilt it all to steer: two pilots for a small number of seats.

It worked to the Isles of Scilly (until it didn't work) because they're short flights into small airports so you can sweat the assets and there is a captive audience. All the way up to Gatwick into London airspace is a different kettle of fish. Do they even accept helicopters at Gatwick?

6. notDistantGreen

Did anyone see the Liverpool v Flamengo final of the Club World Cup?

Well, I have to say it was entertaining. The sort of tackling Flamengo produced hasn't been seen since the day when the names "Chopper Harris" or "Norman Hunter" appearing on a team sheet immediately put the local A&E on high alert. Neither was their standard of amateur dramatics equaled other than at the first term for each new intake at RADA. One player wore a protective helmet a la Petr Čech. The commentators claimed this was to protect him from the residual effects of a previous head injury but having now seen him play, I'm pretty sure it was a bit more for the reasons boxers wear them when sparring.

Being played in Doha, the authorities obviously thought it was a good idea to draw the officials from local football, advertising how well the next World Cup was going to go. Think of a standard that a linesman in the SW Peninsula League West or East Divisions would be profoundly embarrassed by.

In their infinite wisdom and greed for cash, FIFA are considering extending this comedy tournament from 4 to 20 teams, presumably played like this one right in the middle of the European league season. What's that going to take? 3 weeks? A month? Exposure to more South American football like this is going to lead to loss of limbs and possibly even a life, I'm sure.

I really can't wait.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Yes I watched it....interesting how a penalty call by the Ref for Liverpool turned into a free kick against Liverpool.....I did notice the FIFA elite hobnobbing with the odd Sheikh or two.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I watched it as well and thought it was a reasonable game. Yes plenty of acting of course but then what do you expect these days. The penalty/ non-free kick was interesting. If it was thought to be a penalty in the first place then the Ref must have thought there was a foul. Ok doubt about it being inside or outside the box. No problem with that. But, he booked the player with a yellow having given the penalty. After VAR it was quite clear it was outside the box so therefore the yellow should have turned red and I was saying this to her indoors whilst he was looking at it. However, for it to turn into nothing, not even a free kick was weird. There was a touch. It was very little and one of those "he was entitled to go down" moments we keep hearing about. If it wasn't a foul then why wasn't the liverpool player booked for diving? He was either brought down or he threw himself down so which was it. The Ref decided in the end it was neither. Very very poor. Thought he was a bit bizaar throughout. Thought liverpool were lucky to win and if the South Americans could shoot it would have been vastly different.

9. notDistantGreen

He didn't have the nerve to give the red card is the long and short of it I think, so the facts were altered to suit!

10. notDistantGreen

It seems Macclesfield's take-over has collapsed, leaving them on the brink.

We haven't played them yet, so have nothing to lose if their results are expunged but of those around us, Swindon, Exeter, Cheltenham and Port Vale will lose 3 points and Bradford, Cambridge and Colchester 1 point.

No ambulance chaser me.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

They will of course all have played one game less with the alteration to points. I am fast losing sympathy for clubs going tits up. This situation has been expected for a long time now and there will be more no doubt. It is brought about by idiots in a Boardroom. We nearly went and that was because of our owners. Fans love it when Boards spend spend spend but then weep when they can't afford the payments. Lets be honest they only have themselves to blame.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

For idiots in boardrooms...try Ipswich....trillions in the red....well nearly.

13. notDistantGreen

Yeah but with one team less, they couldn't recover those points, so the revised league table would be an accurate reflection of a 23 team division. It's not like having a game in hand: the game no longer exists.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

They are playing on boxing day. A farce situation as usual.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

WHY ?

Why.....Does a "free money" Cash Point take money out of your account ?

Why.....Is the puddle on the pavement or the dripping gutter above always in front of the Cash Point ?

Why.....Does the Bus come when your equal distant between stops ?

Why.....Are you scared to look at the Lottery numbers the week you forget to do it.

Why.....Does the Bus you're on get overtaken by a same number Bus and then terminates half-way along it's route.

Why.....Does the Bus you're on slow down and wait at a bus stop for awhile because it's early....and you miss the train you thought you might just catch.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We've all been aware of the chasm between Premier and Championship football....how money rules.

It now seems to be happening between Championship and Division One as well.

Last year Luton won Div 1....they are 24th in the Championship.

Last year Barnsley came second.....they are 23rd in the Championship.

Last year Charlton came third and were promoted at Wembley....they are 18th....they started well but in recent times have been sinking like a stone.

The money filtering down to the Championship through payments to relegated Premier clubs is an unfair advantage.....3rd and 4th level clubs have difficulty in competing on a level playing field.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Potentially there are 9 clubs in the Championship with extra payments. Not far short of half the league. Then you have the previously big clubs who are not doing great but still have money and a following. To go up and stay there is harder than when we got there. It's not that hard to see or work out is it. Trouble is if you yoyo between Premiership and Championship that is ok you get cash but if you yoyo between Championship and League one you get diddly squat.

18. notDistantGreen

Although clubs in Leagues 1 (Bury) and League 2 (Macclesfield) have been in difficulty only recently, it's in the Championship where the biggest time bomb is really ticking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50674331

The most horrific statement is that "more than half of clubs are spending more on wages than they make in income". Wages mind you, on top of that they have to pay all the other costs of running a stadium and a club.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I've been following the latest Royal saga mainly because on the News there really hasn't been a lot of choice other than to follow it. Now, I'm not particularly a Royalist or nor am I an anti-Royalist. Think the Queen herself does a halfway decent job but also that some of her family let the side down and could do with getting a different one. This is 2020 not 1720 so they cannot expect to be held in the same esteem as they once were.

As for Harry and the Missus I have a certain sympathy for the intrusions into their everyday lives that they endure but have to say that this is what they should expect as a price for all of the privilege. Basically it's what they get paid for and paid very handsomely as well. I have no problem with somebody no longer wishing to be employed in whatever roll they have. As said this is 2020 and not the dark ages where you were tied to a job for as long as it existed. If Harry and wife no longer want the job then they should be allowed to resign it. Herein though lies the problem with their statement. What you cannot do is dictate the terms. If he doesn't want to do Royal things then he should no longer be paid nor protected at public expense. He cannot pick and choose the bits he likes and dismiss the bits he doesn't. Wouldn't we all like that option in a job but we can't have it. Either they do the work or they bugger off completely. They don't get cars or flights for free, holidays on the back of other Countries inhabitants who have to pay to have them there. Free housing at the expense of the State and a shed load of other freebies to go with it. Walk away from the job by all means but that means you are on your own like the rest of us would be and pay for yourselves for the rest of your lives. He could always go and live with his real dad.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

....and they should repay the £2 million plus we have given them to upgrade Frogmore.....wouldn't it of been cheaper to knock it down and start again....I think Harry has lost the plot a little and had his arm twisted by his American wife....whose wearing the trousers Harry?

PS......knocking the grandstand down might of been cheaper as well.....it seems to sit comfortably in it you need legs you can unscrew and fish scales instead of skin....plus a snorkel when it really rains hard.