1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I gave up after the first half as I had to go out but I did see the VAR travesty. Have no idea how the Ref or anyone could give that decision from the pictures on offer. We saw what she was shown and it was so inconclusive that even the Swede could have had a handball against. Thought England were worse than poor for the first half hour. Shan't be watching the final that's for sure.

Nobody commented about the furry at the Yanks tea drinking celebration when they played England. The Yanks attitudee to it was yadda yadda yadda.......... Quite agree. What's wrong with a sort of p*** take like that anyway. All part of football banter and if anyone truly got upset at that then they need to get a life. Sour grapes at losing comes to mind big time.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Simona Halep just didn't read the script and thrashed Serena Williams 6-2 6-2 in one of the quickest Womens Finals ever in 56 minutes.

Not a fan of Williams so quite enjoyed watching that.....Halep looked so small standing next to Williams.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I just can't get into tennis either male or female no matter who is playing. Some sport just leaves me cold and this is one of them.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

THE LOCAL POST OFFICE....(Ronnie Corbett armchair style write up)..... :rolleyes:.

Just a mile up the road from me is the posh area of Locksbottom...(not so famous as Pratt's Bottom of course which is 5 miles further up the road nearer to Sevenoaks.

Good little shopping area....three Pubs, Large Sainsbury's...Lidl's...Petrol Garage with M&S shop, plenty of small shops and Coffee shops etc....And a small Convenience Store/Newsagents/Post Office....a McColl's actually.

This is where I get a daily newspaper delivered from....6 months ago everything went smoothly with paper deliveries....then the manager and staff changed...this was in conjunction with the two windowed secure PO closing... and a 'Post Office Desk' appearing stuck on the end of the stores general sales counter....only security a flimsy plastic door with a cheap digital numbered lock on that door...pointless really...you only needed to jump over the counter to gain access if you wanted to get to the till.
    I would say Locksbottom is an area of about 15,000 people...so the Post Office was quite busy usually.

My normal dealings with this shop is on a Saturday morning before 7.30am... I pop in to pay the for the papers...takes only a moment.(use to).....in... out and gone.
    But the new people haven't quite got on top of the paper rounds as yet....used to be delivered by 7am....now any time up to 10.30am....and quite often not at all.....the billing also is all over the place....just one regular paper each day plus delivery charge... quite simple really....but they're getting it wrong every week by anything up to £5 too much.....last Saturday after my hols...I had only one paper to pay for...although they worked it out at £7.30 ?

Now this is my beef (for the week) about the set up....NO paper delivered on Sunday and none today Monday....so I made the mistake of popping up there to check out what was happening....the shop was packed out with people wanting the down market PO facilities...people carrying parcels, letters etc wending there way around the shops aisles....which made it impossible for anyone else to shop at the stores convenience shelves or to just buy a paper or tobacco etc.
    It just happened that a Postman plus his van turned up and parcels needed bringing in and taking out and bagging up and paperwork signed etc (it is also an Amazon pick-up place as well... so more parcels delivered during the day and people queuing up to collect) which of course stopped all counter activity until completed....must have taken about 7 minutes to complete...in the meanwhile this long snaking queue just stood there like plebs and starting to get a little hot under the collar.
    Being rather intrigued with what was happening and a bit of spare time to waste on my hands I joined the back of the queue and slowly inched forward for the best part of half an hour before it was my turn at the top of the queue....I asked the stressed out lady assistant why I had no paper delivery for two days...and of course she couldn't help me...BUT the manager was out the back and she went to fetch him (why wasn't he helping at the counter comes to mind).....she told me he would be along shortly..(another 5 minutes of my life gone there)....he of course didn't know either why no papers had been delivered....he checked the screen and come up with nothing....so he said he would take my name down and check later with those that did the rounds...(that'll be 6am tomorrow)....found a scrap of paper.... but no pen...so he asked the stressed out assistant if she had one....the answer was no...he then suggested that SHE WENT OUT THE BACK AND FIND ONE FOR HIM.....which amazingly she did without asking him what his last slave bleddy died of.

Luckily I'd put an hours worth in the parking meter....because I was going to browse around two up market charity shops that usually had some really good cast outs from two local security gated private housing estates nearby (bottom end starting at £1.5 million)...but I had used up most of my parking time trying to check out my paper delivery....I have tried phoning the shop before but of course no one picks the damn phone up anyway.

Lesson learnt ...never try to use the shop whilst the PO counter/desk is being used.....who are these idiots who downgrade busy PO's....obviously they never use these facilities themselves.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  5. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Why buy a paper? i have not bought one in 15 years, read what news there is online? nothing worth reading in those comics? waste money how much do they cost 30p

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

You must be joking Joe....30 p.....not for a long time....I still like browsing through a proper paper and so does Mrs Plym when I allow her to.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm with you Joe and haven't bought a paper in many a long year. If I'm away and don't know the football score from an Argyle game I just ask somebody if they know and they always feel obliged to look it up on their phone. I don't have a mobile so just stand there looking pathetic until somebody does it for me. Always works. As for daily news I look on the beeb news site and don't bother with much else. Herald football page is another but only with an Ad blocker. You can read any paper online these days if you can be bothered.

8. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Having a newspaper delivered is one of life's great luxuries, although I only indulge myself at the weekend. I have to wait while it's ironed of course.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Using child labour for a weekend fix...................whatever next.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

FIFA Corruption....surely not again ?

Confederation of African Football President Ahmad has claimed expenses for being in two places at the same time...during the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
    That was Russia and Egypt during the period 23rd of June to the 1st of July 2018.
    As a Vice-President of FIFA he gets $450 a day allowance any rate, meaning that he may have received THREE sets of payments for the nine-day spell in question.

Mr Ahmad is currently being investigated by both FIFA's Ethics Committee itself and French Anti-Corruption Authorities regarding an unusual kit deal involving a French Gym Equipment supplier among the lines of inquiry.

FIFA bosses just can't keep their sticky little fingers out of the honey pot can they.

2015 FIFA Corruption Case culprits....Sepp Blatter, Chuck Blazer, Jack Warner, Michel Platini & Issa Hayatou have passed on their black arts folder to the next generation of honey pot grabbers....I wonder what else is lurking out there ?

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Well my visit to the local Convenience/Newsagent/PO yesterday has paid dividends......no paper for the third day running seems to be the result.....even though I stopped the papers last week because of my hols.....they still managed to pop one through the letter box mid-week.....which I hasten to say I didn't pay for.... and they had no record of it being delivered either.
    Modern kids I think get more pocket money by staying in bed till it is school time from their parents....then getting up early to do a paper round.....another old tradition disappearing just like the daily milkman delivering to your door step did.....if paper boys/girls don't fancy getting up one morning they don't bother and don't let the shop know either....too busy playing games and texting their mate on their phones these days.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

NEWS FLASH.

Up the local shops doing bits and bobs and was walking past my Newsagent....and could see that there was no queue....so popped in....and commented that today was the third day without a paper delivery......a little older women on the counter that I hadn't seen before....she got her nifty fingers to work on the till and immediately told me that I was on holiday !!.....I informed her that a wasn't and if I was have I gone to somewhere nice..<whistle>. She could see from the till monitor that I had been away last week and had been in Saturday to pay anything I owed....how on earth could the manager on Monday not see that on the till.... yet this elderly woman who should not be so computer savvy as a 35ish yr old Indian manager not see the obvious straight away....( I hope you noticed sensible that I hadn't mentioned the managers origins at all yesterday....in case I got called a racist...Brexiteering....Nigel Farage supporter).....you can be so hurtful at times.
    Normal paper deliveries I hope will restart again tomorrow.....if not I'll let you know.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

In the interests of balance with the story where was the little older woman from? It's also extremely patronising to assume that just because she is a little older woman that she could not be computer savvy as well. You are so out dated...............

14. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I agree with that Sensible. It's assumed by the media that:
    1. Older people's favourite singer is Vera Lynn. In fact, anyone who's 70 years old now could have gone to Woodstock as a 20 year old.
    2. Older people (including our politicians) have no personal experience of drugs, either directly or indirectly. See 1) above.
    3. Older people (including our politicians) have no personal experience of random sex outside marriage. See 1) above.
    4. Older people have no experience of stress, whereas today's teens worry terribly about the environment, terrorism and Brexit. When I went to bed at night, I'd listen to the Shackletons close overhead going in and out of RAF St, Mawgan. I don't know whether they carried them regularly but nuclear depth charges were stored at that airbase in the event that Russian missile submarines had to be taken out in a hurry. If the wind was in the west, we might have survived the bomb that would have taken out Devonport but if St Mawgan got one too (and it was on the UK Government's list of likely targets), we'd have been glowing in the dark.
    5. Older people know nothing about computers. I'm not quite in the 70 yo age bracket yet but I've been using computers every day all my working life. My 17 yo daughter asks me to fix it when the wifi or the TV doesn't work or she can't connect her phone to the car.
    This will get progressively more patronising as the next decade goes by. To conclude, I'll quote the Kaiser Chiefs rather than Vera Lynn. I Predict A Riot. Available on Spotify.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

NEWSPAPER DELIVERED TODAY 7.15am...elderly man with a walking stick....moving quite well....he had three deliveries in this end of the cul-de-sac.

I hope there are no undertones in my comment...I'll leave that to you to decide...:lipsrsealed:.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The age of the delivery person bears no relevance to the story line and neither does his state of health. The fact he had a walking stick does not necessarily indicate an impediment in his ability to move. There are many who claim disability benefits who have walking sticks and indeed crutches which are mainly for improving the chances of receiving the benefit rather than a direct need. You once again failed to mention his origin for consistency with the rest of the story. Was he computer literate? Is he a lollipop man in the afternoons to further supplement his meagre pension? What was his motive for working as a paper person. I trust you will get the correct information for tomorrows instalment and fill in the blanks properly.

I did go to Woodford in my youth notdistant but definitely not Woodstock.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Lets see if he's up to delivering two days running......maybe the walking stick is for self defence....can't be too careful early morning.....the odd drunk still wandering home...comes to mind.

18. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

He may be on crutches tomorrow ? he may be to tired to walk another day so have the rest of the week off, i may need a stick soon if my knee does not mend but i have been told i need a knew knee? to many injuries 12.5 k at nuffield, may have to put prices up Shocking ? read the paper online plym its free. Anyway there is nothing to read in those comics all full of rubbish.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You just need to get home earlier plym. Oh, and lay off the ale for a while.

Trouble with knee Ops Joe is they only last a while and you can't keep having them. If you have it done too young then it is likely you will still end up with a bolloxed knee after a while. My brother-in-Law had his done after years and years of waiting. The waiting was because of his age and being told they only last around 10 to 15 years. In the end they did it because he was getting to the point of not being able to walk at all. They replaced the knee, then operated again to "tidy up the bone fragments", then operated again to "tidy up the bone fragments". Then after another Op they finally managed to sort him out.............mostly. I think it's because the knee joint is hardly rested and wears too easily once there is a problem.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

All ok on the paper delivery front this morning....my paper 'boy'....has a Citroen C3 to do his round in.....paper available at 7.25am.