1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Other Sports

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I guess I am a bit soft but I did feel sorry for Smith in his press interview yesterday. I genuinely think he thought that ball tampering was a minor "sin" and the reaction has been monumental. When it happened his first reaction seemed to be "okay, we were caught but let's move on". How wrong he was. He now fully understands what it means to Aussies who don't like to be seen as cheats.

2. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

I suspect the punishment handed out by the ACA has quite a bit of history behind it. I have friends and relatives in Australia who love their cricket and want the national team to win but they've been saying for a few years now that the language and attitudes of some of the key players has made them increasingly unpopular. There's also the question of finances of course. Anything that's likely to upset major sponsors enough to make them withdraw funds has implications for the game. As in the UK, it's very dependent on TV money.

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Not been an inspiring tour down under for our cricketers - what was the result - no wins in 12 matches?

4. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Very poor away record - not sure if it's down to the lack of different bowling options or the batsmen not scoring enough runs .

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I would look at the management structure. I think we need a rugby union style re-evaluation of our squad and players. They still seem to behave too much like overgrown schoolboys too often.

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I see the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony is today - can't say it is an event that has ever captivated me though.

7. Markthehorn

Sad to hear Eric Bristow has passed away - only 60.

One of the early legends of Darts.

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

yes - he seems to have been around forever - he and Phil the Power Taylor are the only two names I know in darts.

9. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Yes, very sad.
    You would probably not know that Phil Taylor was mentored by Bristow when he was a youngster coming up through the ranks and supporting him when he was unemployed all the way through to the pupil beating the master for the world title in 1990.

10. Markthehorn

I think its more for giving youngsters a go - stars of the future and all that without the massive pressure of an Olympics or World Championships.

Having said that you still have our nations facing some strong cycling/swimming nations like he Aussies and Canadians.

Athletics is probably the biggest difference without the USA and European major powers.

11. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So here we go, another County Championship gets underway. No doubt theo is checking that his sun block is still in date and his polar long johns are ready to wear. Friday 13th doesn't seem like a good day to score the first century of the season.

12. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Just about to set off. Lots of layers! Looks as though Hampshire could be one of only two games able to start on time.

13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

"Despite the floodlights, off for bad light at Lord's ".

How can this be unless there is fog? Are the floodlights on a go slow?

14. Markthehorn

I've heard of that situation before though in test cricket and it does frustrate people.

Least the weather is due to get warmer next week!

15. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

As I understand it, it's simply that the floodlights are used to add to the natural light but if the floodlights are responsible for most of the light, and there are the 4 shadows from each person, then it makes it harder to see the ball and therefore potentially dangerous.

Markthehorn likes this.
  16. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Fantastic week for the Cardiff Devils - won the end of season play-offs. Their netminder, Ben Bownes, became part of those who have only conceded one play-off goal - a shut-out in both games has never happened. The netminder when I first started watching the Devils in the 90s, Stevie Lyle, was inducted into the UK Ice Hockey Hall of Fame this week. He was born in Cardiff and made his first team debut age 14.

17. Markthehorn

Did your horses do well in the National?

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Today we witnessed the unusual feat of all four innings being played on the same day, with no batsman making a half-century in the Middx. v Northants game.

19. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Well done England netball team on earning the gold medal against the host nation.

Let's hope Phil Neville can match his twin sister's efforts at the Ladies Football World Cup <ok>

Markthehorn likes this.
  20. Markthehorn

Shows the contrast of glory and despair in sport - whilst they were winning gold a poor Scottish marathon runner collapsed (hopefully he is ok) a mile from the end of the race when in front.