1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Sport

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 29, 2017.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

We live in an age where a lot of people think little of the value of yesteryear. This can't be so. Today the cricket world lost a great. Sir Everton Weekes has passed away, aged 95. Sir Everton Weekes was one of the three Ws, legends of the West Indian team of the 40s and 50s. Sir Clyde Walcott and Sir Frank Warrell completed the trio.

Sir Everton set a world record of 5 consecutive centuries during a career that spanned 48 tests at a brilliant average of 58.61 per test. In the 52 years since Sir Everton's retirement, only 2 players with 48 tests or more, have passed his average, Steve Smith and Ken Barrington.

By any standards, Sir Everton De Courcy Weekes was an outstanding player.

<rose>

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    redcgull, SwanHills and OddDog like this.
  2. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Moroccan footballer Adel Taarabt played for QPR between 2010 and 2015. Attacking midfield player and a true magician with the ball. Unfortunately had 'problems' and club had to get rid of him in the end. After being in the 'wilderness' for a few years, he has now found a new life as a defensive midfield player in Portugal with Benfica. Now 30-years-old he seems to be doing well with Benfica. Still can humiliate opposing players with his dribbling skills, and was once one of the best exponents of the nutmeg in football. Even though he is a defensive player nowadays, he still likes to do a bit of attacking football. A footballer with great talent; shame about the personal problems he once seemed to have had. Hope that is all behind him now.

3. Cyclonic

I see Jack Charlton passed away yesterday at age 85. Along with his brother Bobby, Jack had the good fortune to be on the park on that wonderful day in 1966. Today little is cherished when it comes to a player's club loyalty, but that wasn't so for Charlton. He spent his entire career playing for Leeds, where according to an article I've just read, he chalked up an amazing 773 appearances for the club. <applause>

R.I.P. John "Jack" Charlton. <rose>

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Ste D, SwanHills, redcgull and 3 others like this.
  4. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

„Wor Jackie“ was a very good trainer too, did a great job dragging the Owls from the brink in the early 80s. RIP <rose>

Cyclonic, SwanHills, redcgull and 2 others like this.
  5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Two things I remember about Jackie
    His outstanding performances for England
    His visit to Wycombe Wanderers when we were an amateur side in the Isthmian League and he was manager of Middlesbrough. He was chain smoking throughout the match as they ground out a 0-0 draw (and went close to losing). Middlesbrough won the replay 1-0 in the the 90th minute and the entire crowd applauded our players off the pitch. RIP Jackie

SwanHills, redcgull and Cyclonic like this.
  6. Cyclonic

Could there possibly be a happier man on this site right now than one of our intrepid leaders, Ronaldo. To see his beloved Wycombe Wanderers promoted to the Championships must fill him with glee. Next season will be amazing times for the Choirboys and their loyal supporters. Onya Ron, did you ever think you'd live to see the day? <cheers>

SwanHills, Ron and redcgull like this.
  7. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

I watched some of that game last night and it was/got a bit tense near the end. Well played to the Blue Army, it looks like they have beaten some very long odds to achieve this success... The best of it was the interview with the centre forward, one Ade Akinfenwa…

He was very happy to say the least...:emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl:

SwanHills and Cyclonic like this.
  8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No Cyc. But in my life time we have gone from amateur club in the Isthmian League to semi-professional, to League 2, League 1 and now the Championship. And on the way we reached the semi finals of the League Cup (losing 4-1 to Chelsea over 2 legs having drawn the first leg); we reached the semi final of the FA Cup, losing 2-1 against Liverpool and also in the FA Cup we were the only team to put 3 goals past Spurs at White Hart Lane. We were 2-0 up then it got to 2-2 then we went 3-2 up until 2 mins from time when they equalised and then scored with the last kick of stoppage time. What a game that was.

We were favs to be relegated at the start of the season and we only had a squad of 9 at the first pre- season training session (2 of which were trialists).

Wycombe Wanderers aren't the best footballing team in the league but we have a great manager, great owners, great fans and every one gives their all for everyone. A truly remarkable outfit to be so proud of <cheers>

SwanHills, redcgull and Cyclonic like this.
  9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Brings tears to my eyes

Cyclonic likes this.
  10. redcgull

I was at that game Ron, and from what I can remember the Wycombe fans were fantastic, and gave us a bit of a scare when they scored their goal. Pleased as punch for you and the fans, it's a good footballing and sporting story...<ok>

SwanHills, Ron and Cyclonic like this.

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was there as well red. There was a couple of fans sat next to me who were amazingly quiet- until the 78th minute when Heskey headed in that first goal. It seemed all over when Fowler curled in a lovely free kick on 83 mins but within 5 mins it was 2-1. And so it stayed :emoticon-0100-smile

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    redcgull likes this.
  12. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Be interesting to see how the next football transfer market pans out. With the figures being bandied around in the press (100 million for Jadon Sancho) there seems to be a bit of reality loss about the huge hole in football's finances. For years now we have been sickened by the obscene amount of money splashed around in the sport, perhaps Covid-19 has suddenly put an end to all that?

redcgull, SwanHills and Cyclonic like this.
  13. Cyclonic

A paramedic pulls up somewhere in the UK, pulls out the defibrillator and shocks the life back into a patient. Average annual salary, 26 thousand pounds.

Paying someone 100 million to kick a ball around a field for a club already haemorrhaging money, is distasteful at best.

SwanHills and OddDog like this.
  14. Cyclonic

Charlie Alllie of the USA setting a new 200m indoor world record for over 70s at the last year's Masters. I half expected to see a bunch of old farts staggering around the track. What a mistake.

Well done Mr. Allie, you're a bloody legend.

15. redcgull

Ben Stokes take a bow son...:emoticon-0139-bow::emoticon-0139-bow::emoticon-0139-bow:

As modern day cricketers go he is one of the very best around. His hitting is simply awesome, and his bowling when a ball has gone soft and the track has nothing to give is arguably the best around... What a player...:emoticon-0137-clapp :emoticon-0115-inlov

SwanHills likes this.
  16. Cyclonic

After Jack wins the Semi Final of the FA Cup, he goes to the vanquished team next door to tell Bobby some news. <laugh>

17. redcgull

When off work due to being furloughed I could watch the sport on tv anytime I like, it was great... Now, back in work now for the last 3 weeks off furlough, I'm gutted that I can't get my daily sporting feed, especially when the England cricketers are trying to pull off a bit of a heroic win against the Windies..!!.

Bloomin work getting in the way of a good days sport...:headbang: :emoticon-0127-lipss :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Cyclonic and SwanHills like this.
  18. Cyclonic

If we do enough research, we probably can find an all time great in any sport. As some sports are huge, global attractions, the names of the brilliant proponents become household names. Ali, Pele, Bradman, Phelps, Bolt, Bannister, Federer and the likes all excelled in well known sports, while others toil away with barely anyone knowing of their talents. One such athlete is the brilliant sumo wrestler Hakuho. The Mongolian born master has reigned longer that another Yokozuna in the history of the sport. He has more wins, more championships, most undefeated championships, more wins as a Yokozuna, Most wins in a calendar year and the list goes on and on. And he defies age. At 35 he should be easy pickings for the younger bulls, but they just can't handle the old pro. He just seems to be able to find a way to win ... as champion so often do. So I've decided to put up all 15 of his bouts in this tournament. I've only been following sumo for a few years and can't believe my luck. I've stumbled into the sport at a time when an all time great is competing. The first 2 days are below. They've limited the number of spectators.

redcgull likes this.
  19. Cyclonic

The Yokozuna Hakuho goes into day 3 of the Nagoya Basho with a record of 2-0. His opponent Endo is at 1-1. Hukuho is a stickler for tradition and demands that all fighters must cast salt and enter the starting position before him. It is their duty to do so, and as it's shameful not do so, they obey. He starts from the left.

20. redcgull

Might have taken a while to kick-off so to speak Cyc but it was an explosive finish...

Cyclonic likes this.