1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Sport

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 29, 2017.

1. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

That Stevens who scored 237 in the 1st innings is swt to leave Kent at the end of this match as his contracts up, 43 i think he is... Some way to go out then...:emoticon-0148-yes:

2. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

After beginning well, Enho slumped mid tournament,but seems to have made the right adjustments of late. He goes into day 10 with a 5-4 record, needing to get the 8 wins for his pass mark for the tournament. With only 5 days after today, and the constant struggle against much bigger men, he's under the pump to make it.

3. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

VAR what a joke.
    Napoli get a pen v Liverpool from what looked a foul, VAR proves there was no contact yet the pen stands as the error was not a clear and obvious one from the ref. Wtf!

4. Cyclonic

Day 11 of the Aki Basho. The crowd certainly has some favourites.

5. Cyclonic

Aki Basho day 12. The wheat is now being separated from the chaff.

6. Cyclonic

Going into day 14 of of the 15 day tournament, the Aki Basho's leader board is loaded at the top. 4 men are tied at 10 wins, with another 6 tied on 9. It's wide open.

7. Excellent games if rugby this morning. And watched the last 15 minutes of Collingwood's unsuccessful comeback against West Sydney Giants in the Aussie Rules. The latter was bloody hilarious.

Cyclonic likes this.
  8. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Dan have your lot got the reserve team out against City today? 4-0 after 15 mins <yikes>

9. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

And now 5-0 after 18 mins - maybe its the under-13s?

10. Cyclonic

Agreed Dan, the rugby was brilliant ... and there's heaps more to come. :)

11. Cyclonic

The final day of the Aki Basho came down to a play off.

redcgull likes this.
  12. redcgull

Good interview on the radio just now with a Jane Crouch, one time professional women's boxer, on how the sport is so far removed now compared to when she first started out on her professional career. It was a really good listen with her describing how hard it was to grow up in a very male dominated sport to which many of the big promoters at the time either laughed at her or refused to book on to any boxing card meaning she fought most of her early fights out of this country. She also went on to say that when she ended her fighting career she put the sport to a 'timely death' and had a 'funeral' to close the sport and everything around it away from her life as she had to move on.

They later came on to the subject of the 'after care' of most boxers and that she knew a lot of now retired boxers who struggled with their lives away from boxing as they were struggling to do simple tasks because of the brain not functioning as it should do, all down to a life of been hit in the head. She went on to say that the boxing boards of control in the sport need to do a lot, lot more as they do not help any boxer after a life of boxing and that it should do as a vast majority of the boxers she talks to are suffering or struggling to make ends meet. She even said it's a dangerous sport and she knew the consequences of it but she just wanted to box...

I've never been a big boxing fan, although I have watched some of the big fights in the past, namely the Benn, Eubank & Collins battles along with the McGuigan, Bruno, Tyson, Hearns all over 20 years ago but I never took to it. I understand the need to find out who is the main man of the world, something you did at school, well I did, but I am still at a loss about it's relevance as a sport...?!?

I know that there is a lot of dedication given by these boxers to protect their chins, body etc and that the gloves have gotten bigger, the fitness better and the safety of the fighters is exemplary but it's something I think has had it's day. As a sport, the fact that you are trying to punch someone in the head constantly, not all the time mind, but to wear him down through constant hits and physical exertion just dosnt seem true of what a sport should be.

I know there are a few boxing fans on this forum, and I am sure they will defend the sport, but to go back to the point Jane Crouch was making, the boards of these boxing belts should be doing a lot more than they should be. Most sports have councillors to help them, but surely the one sport that needs loads of attention is one where the brain is getting knocked about for 10-15 years, which in the long term can't be doing them any good at all...

Cyclonic likes this.
  13. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Ffs
    Oliver McCall 54 making a comeback.
    Nigel Benn 55 fighting again.

14. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

McCall came back last year, his next fight will be his 3rd one into his comeback and the less said about Benn fighting again the better.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    redcgull and Cyclonic like this.
  15. Cyclonic

Red, I'm a huge boxing fan, but there is nothing in you article with which I disagree. It's a cruel and dangerous "sport." I recognised long ago just how weak as piss I am for enjoying the brutality on offer, and I think even less of my self for trying to justify my feelings by pointing out the lack of empathy we on the forum feel for the plight of race horses. We pretend we we truly care, but none of us seem to be turning our backs on the "sport." Any excuse I make, reeks of of dishonesty.

Your well written piece was certainly worth publishing mate, it's a credit to you.

redcgull likes this.
  16. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Man U back to winning ways in the Carabao Cup......on penalties..........against Rochdale.

OddDog likes this.
  17. redcgull

Derby matches are always a close run thing Chan...<whistle> <whistle> <whistle>

Chaninbar and bayernkenny like this.
  18. Cyclonic

Doha World Championships.

Justin Gatlin's 100m heat.

19. Cyclonic

20. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Brilliant 2nd half from Japan to beat the Irish. Their fullback a real live wire. Irish frazzled by the end with their back kicking the ball dead with no time left.

redcgull likes this.