1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Sport

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 29, 2017.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Poor batting and a strong Indian attack I think. They should have won the last test but absolutely blew it by failing to mop up the Indian tail in the first innings and then batting like donkeys in their 2nd.

2. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

No, got it wrong, the Indians are just too damn good at home...!!

Come on Jimmy, lets get the 700th Test wicket now, you legend...!!! :emoticon-0165-muscl :emoticon-0137-clapp :emoticon-0100-smile

3. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Bazball, to an extent. I do think Stokes captaincy has big question marks over it. It’s also a job for the boys team, his mates clearly get preferential treatment. Bairstow has played every game and not hit a single 50. What’s he doing in the side? He’s best mates with Stokes, is the answer. Stokes reluctance to persist with bowlers at the end of an innings instead of changing it around to mop up the tail is awful to watch.

4. OddDog

Staff Member

I'd make them all fly home in Air India economy class

Bustino74 and Saf like this.
  5. OddDog

Staff Member

Horrible crash for Vingegaard today in the Basque Country. Best wishes for a speedy recovery <ok>

6. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

and Remco and Roglic. It was scary to see such levels of concrete on the outside of a corner.

7. redcgull

I watched the back end of the Fortuna Dusseldorf v Bochum second leg pay-off game last night, Bochum 3-0 down from the first leg having to do to Fortuna what they did to them last week. What a crazy game it was, Bochum somehow getting back the 3 goal deficit, forcing extra time and keeping them in the top flight Bundesliga with a 6-5 victory on penalties...

I think from memory, that when the play-offs were first introduced in this country we had the 3rd from bottom team play the 3rd from top in the then 2nd division but didnt last long. But i can't help but feel that this always helps the team in the higher division as on paper they should be the better side of the two, proved by the fact the last 2 teams to have won this play-off tie have been the nigher placed team....

Anyway, it was a good game, and had everything you want in a play-off game with goals, great saves and crucial missed chances all leading up to a penalty shoot-out...!!

OddDog likes this.
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known Member

Real Madrid C. F. On Tour.

9. redcgull

Man City launch legal action over financial rules

I'm not sure what to think about this whole Citeh thing that they are going to launch a legal case against the Premier League and all of its financial rules, as it might back fire on them as much as the Premier League in the end.

They claim that they are the victims of "discrimination", that the amended rules were approved by rivals to "stifle" their success on the pitch, and call it "a tyranny of the majority". I wonder what the likes of Newcastle think of that, being that they cant spend owt due to insufficient funds coming in to their own clubs despite having a wealthy owner...??

I suppose this is to counter attack these 115 charges that the Premier League have been threatening to do for what seems like an eternity, so maybe Citeh are throwing the first punch here.

This could be better than the Fury v Usyk fight...!!

10. OddDog

Staff Member

The whole sport has been ruined by money. I’m glad my lot are nowhere near the premier league.

11. redcgull

This T20 Cricket World cup has, up to now, been a good watch which i think is down to the fact that the scores have been quite low. Having watched some of the recent IPL T20 comp, where scores went well over the 200 run mark, i think 285 was the highest, the drama of trying to defend a low score, or chase one, has made it a worth while watch. I will add that some of the pitches have ben dubious to say the least with the excessive bounce and turn, but nevertheless, it has levelled out the playing field and made it at times a very nervy and twitchy watch...

Maybe, bigger, better and faster of the IPL isn't the be-all-end-all...

Chaninbar likes this.
  12. OddDog

Staff Member

Haven't seen any of the matches but it seems bizarre to be playing cricket in the USA.

Meanwhile the "opening ceremony" for Euro 24 is ongoing - no idea why we have to sit through this trashy Euro-pop garbage at the start of every tournament. Just get on with it FFS.

SwanHills likes this.
  13. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

One has to wonder what Scotland (and, to be fair, England, with the current antics of Southgate) are doing over there. That kick in the pills by the Scottish player just before half-time this evening was pretty grim. Deserved the red card IMHO. Think the French referee, Clement Turpin, is doing a good job and is very competent.

(Missus just popped into my little 'study' and said it is now 4-0. Good grief!)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024 at 10:03 PM
  14. redcgull

If the Yanks get their heads around the game of cricket then they have a massive base of 'cricketers' able to pick it up with just a little training. The baseball stars that they have over there must be suited to playing T20...?? Fast eyes, powerful batters and fielders that thrown bullet like tracers to the white bases that adorn the baseball turf, you can see it happening... Though the huge gloves they wear will have to be taken into account, as that's just cheating in our eyes...<laugh><laugh><laugh>

Yes they will have to learn the tactical side of the sport, but they are half way there in terms of talented sportsmen. So who knows, it maybe the hotbed of T20 cricket in 5 years time, though i must confess, knowing as i do several people over in America, the idea of playing 5 days of sport for there not to be a result baffles the heck out of them. Test cricket is maybe a step too far for them...!!

OddDog likes this.