1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Other club’s spending

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

on sky just now £62m (before Mawson signs) spent by Fulham and £94m by the dildo brothers at West Ham.

Aren’t they talking a big risk with FFP?

When you add on wages and agents fees, West Ham for one are probably looking at £130m+ so far... and they are still trying for more....

2. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Albert, at normal football clubs they can spend the money they make from things like commercial income (as a toon fan you’ll need to look that one up) and tv revenue. We treat a balance sheet as if it was a trophy and route to Europe.

3. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Some of that spending is well in excess of what would be permitted.

4. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

5. Lord Jonjomort

I’m sure the West Ham fans are fretting and sweating about it. Meanwhile we can smile happily, safe in our net profit.

Kryptonite and Salomon #9 like this.
  6. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

FFP is done on a 3 year rolling basis and it's basically about if you lose too much money, not what you spend. FFP actually allows clubs to lose money if I remember correctly. And if the owners inject cash into the business I think that makes it fine, as opposed to borrowing the money and putting the club at risk.

7. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

8. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

They’ll be ok if they stay up. Otherwise they will get one chance to get promoted back or they will be ****ed.

9. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

Bournemouth offer £27m for Colombian Jefferson Lerma from Levante. This while we pee about with free's and loans.

10. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Hugh Briss and cronemeister like this.

11. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Let us worry about our own signings no matter what they cost and not worry about other clubs implosion.

12. Tasty Magpie

Tasty Magpie Well-Known Member

It's completely unnacceptable if we fail to strengthen all the areas Rafa has requested. Hopefully something comes off in the final days. Through (hopefully) clever signings we haven't spent much at all and should be willing to get into positive net spend territory in order to fully sort our squad out.

However, actual value of the players we've already snared would be somewhat higher than first appears. Without all the contactual loopholes driving down their transfer fees and ignoring that Kennedy is only a loan, to help us this season we have at a conservative (considering the currently inflated fees flying around) estimate signed about £70million worth of player.

Kennedy £25m
    Muto £15m
    Schar £10m
    Ki £10m
    Dubravka £10m

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  13. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Stop that **** - you are playing into Pouchy's hands.

Tasty Magpie likes this.
  14. JulioGeordio90

JulioGeordio90 Well-Known Member

There's definitely nothing wrong with smart, cost-effective signings - and I'd argue that the above all reflect this.

However, if Bournemouth (for example) had made these signings, their fans would probably be more positive than ours. Purely because they know that these signings haven't been made deliberately because they're tight and the board lack a reasonable ambition (to try and push for top 10, a cup run and see what happens). If the right player comes along and would cost £20 million plus, their Chairman/board would act upon it.

I guess the problem for us is that we know that's not the case for Newcastle.

A week to go.....3/4 needed! Over to you Charnley - pressure is on!

Tasty Magpie likes this.
  15. Tasty Magpie

Pouchy's hands are busy at the moment - he read a post recently suggesting the possibility of a Pardew return...

JakartaToon likes this.
  16. Lord Jonjomort

So the likes of Fulham have "actually" spent £90m and not £70m? It's all relative, mate, everyone else has wages and fees to pay.

Football just isn't that complicated. Our club likes to use complication as a mask to hide behind, but these people aren't genius-level scientists, they are just men and women who do a job. If it was that complex, Charnley couldn't do it. Same mistake people use with politics, thinking it's some impossibly clever world nobody could understand - it's not, it's often populated by ****ing morons - hence "brexit" and the monumental waste of time, money and resources that's costing for something the majority clearly don't want to happen.

Anyway, back OT - it's pretty basic. Ashley's not likely to be "taking" money willy-nilly. He can if he wants, by the way, part and parcel of owning businesses in the first place. He can't do it at SD - public company. But he can with NUFC. Anyway, I don't think he is. I think he's stuck Barnes in there to prevent financial issues, make it attractive - financially, as a business - and part of Barnes' understanding is about mitigating risk. So the cash retention, the staggered payments, this is all designed so the Fat One doesn't have to part with another penny - loan or otherwise - to prop this club up. What he just fails to grasp, and always has, is that it will take every penny of money to keep the club up and he's dicing with danger by not giving the club/Rafa access to enough money.

Should we be relegated, we'll have an influx of payments from Sissoko, Wijnaldum and now Mitrovic to help prop up the operational costs - and that number should just about come to the £15m he had to throw in last time out. Player sales will cover the rest, then buy some Championship stalwarts to guarantee promotion. I think it's just preventative measures across the board, fear of losing more money because I think he knows his loan is the thing that stops him selling the club so he doesn't want it any bigger.

Well documented that if he didn't have a loan outstanding, he could sell this club for £250m easily. But he CAN'T sell for £250m + the loan (£380m). Staveley by all accounts gave a £250m unconditional offer. Mike wanted the £129m loan repaying as an instant part of that. So his only option here is t either write down the loan, or repay himself. The cash reserves - hopefully - will start to pay him off and if that happens I'd hope Rafa would know more about what was going on and ride it out. Imagine if we did have £50m at the end of the window and he took it out, put the loan at a reduced rate of £50m then sold the club for £300m? Fanciful, maybe, but I don't see any other way out.

The alternative - that he's just running the club on bare minimum, with contingency when relegation happens, with no interest in selling - is too horrible to even contemplate!

17. Tasty Magpie

I agree with just about all of that and we can only hope MA is manouvering to sell, though it will probably prove to be a vain hope. My original post though was not alluding to what we may have paid if we include wages, player/agent fees etc. Just what each players raw transfer value would likely be if not for the contractual issues we exploited to sign them.

18. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Yes we've made some decent signings. Yes the transfer window is not shut. But for me the main position which needed attention following last season was striker/goalscorer. We are now less than a week away from the transfer window closing and that has not been addressed. Muto is not the answer and I don't think he is intended to be.

We should be spending what is necessary to acquire a striker who will "guarantee" 10-15 goals next season. The main deficiency we had last season was the inability to score goals. Can Pouchy, or his Dad, tell me what we have done to address that issue. I accept we still have a few days yet and one or two interesting tempters so things can change but obviously we need to be doing something now. Do Mikey and Penfold not realise that when other Clubs know you are desperate and time is running out the price goes up.

19. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

This may be true and to a certain extent I agree. However it doesn't change that we've spent **** all and he is either actively forcing Benitez to walk, or preparing for a sale. More likely though is he is just doing what he always does. I think he has spent the last 10 years after the big fall out just keeping Newcastle United in purgatory. He isn't bothered by a relegation massively as he just bounces back. He doesn't make anything significant out of us, but he keeps us down and makes a **** load off the back for his other business. I don't think he'll ever sell us and I don't think we'll ever see progress. I can see another 10-15 years of this ****.

Tasty Magpie likes this.
  20. Tasty Magpie

I fully agree, thus:

It's completely unnacceptable if we fail to strengthen all the areas Rafa has requested... we haven't spent much at all and should be willing to get into positive net spend territory in order to fully sort our squad out.