1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

OT. what's your lager.

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Hetwistsheturnsjohnbyrne, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

The Czech Budweiser if I'm thirsty, from a bottle or Chimay the champagne of ales ( red label) the others are too strong

2. Hetwistsheturnsjohnbyrne

Queenslander what is a good Aussie beer? Never got to grips with the schooners that you drank from. Never felt like enough.

3. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of German lager. Veltins and Krombacher are both great. You can get them in larger supermarkets here in the UK...Veltins seems to be growing in popularity with pubs near me too.

4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

The german stuff is usually clean and unadulterated. Warsteiner Pilsner. The version of San Miguel they used to brew in Hong Kong gave me a headache before I finished the first pint.

5. WBA2_QPR3

WBA2_QPR3 Well-Known Member

True SB a bit like the Carlsberg they sold in Egypt when I was working there. Due to the extreme high temps when transporting the beer they would add formaldehyde as a preservative - thus literally pickling your brain if you had a few. Worst hangovers I've ever had

The Gar-see-bark (Carlsberg) in HK was awful too but our rugby team was sponsored by them so duty bound to imbibe

6. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Here is a classic for starters ..............

please log in to view this image

7. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

Lager is a drink for boys without taste buds. Try drinking lager at 18 degrees, if it is drinkable then it is ok. Otherwise, leave it. I, personally, wouldn't drink lager if a free-lager-shop opened in my back garden.
    Shepherd Neame and Fuller's are quality, but there are many really good brewers. Here in Sweden, there has been an increase from 12 to over a hundred micro-breweries in the last ten years, most of them following English or American brewing traditions. Nice!

8. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

steinlager pure is a nice drop
    steinlager classic would only be good if you need to clear a blocked sink
    in my beer fridge at the moment I have
    peroni
    tiger
    pure
    export gold
    becks
    grolsh
    a bottle of jack daniels honey (recommended)

and a bottle of white wine in case the wife feels like a drink

9. goldcoast hoop

goldcoast hoop Well-Known Member

budvar,castle,becks,tooheys extra dry,molson dry

10. igor60

igor60 Well-Known Member

image.jpg

That was was my favourite and the best lager in the world before they end up the brewery in my home town. Karhu was a real local beer. I drink lot of Heineken or Finnish lager Koff nowadays. While visiting in London i always drink just bitters for for few first days, but then i have to change back to lagers. If i have to say its probably Stella for me there.

11. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

12. DaveThomas

DaveThomas Well-Known Member

I drink anything until my lips go numb then I am a handful. Mrs Dt keeps me well away from the fizz as it makes me go conkers

13. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

like a bit of the amber nector fosters or carlsberg, find stella revolting, caffneys good drink but strong.

14. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Does anyone ever wonder about the water quality in the country of brewing?

I recall in Dublin when the River Liffey was quite polluted (apparently now cleaned up) that was the water source for Guinness brewing.

Mexico (Corona), Taiwan, China, Japan, Czech Republic etc. Now the heat involved in the brewing process likely kills off any bacteria, but heavy metals, pesticides etc. could potentially still be there.

In Canada I rather like this beer and the brewing water source:-

Creemore Springs Premium Lager

http://www.creemoresprings.com/en/Home.aspx#premium-panel

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/455/1654

At Creemore Springs, we’re renowned for being different – in part because we remain 100 years behind the times, in deed and in thought. We make our beer in small batches, in an open flame copper kettle, using the same painstaking methods as the European brew masters of the 1800’s. We take no shortcuts; we make no compromises. Our unofficial motto is: if something is worth doing – it’s worth doing well. Some might question such old-fashioned thinking but it results in consistently superb beer, and that has won us the loyalty of a legion of fans. Will we ever do things the same as everyone else? Ask us again in another 100 years.

Lager is made the world over, but Creemore Springs Premium Lager is one of a kind. In all our travels, we’ve never found another like it. From the start, we’ve fire-brewed our flagship beer to be unique. It’s always made with the best ingredients and a strict adherence to traditional brewing methods. It’s just different up here, and so is our lager.

Available here, from UK, I also like:-

Abbot Ale - Greene King / Morland Brewery

http://www.abbotale.co.uk/home.php

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/203/910

The famous Domesday Book chronicles "cerevisiarii" or ale brewers as servants of the Abbot in the town's Great Abbey. The Greene King brewery sits alongside the historic ruins of the Abbey and to this day our brewers still draw water from the same chalk wells used by brewing predecessors all those years ago.

15. superHusky1

superHusky1 Active Member

I'm quite partial to Heineken. Also Thai beer like Singha and Tiger nice and not too gassy; same with Indian lagers. Peroni's pretty nice as well.

Having said that, went for a Thai meal yesterday lunch time and had a strawberry Moheto - not the right spelling but the one with lime and some other stuff. Very nice.

16. Norfolkbhoy

Norfolkbhoy Well-Known Member

Leffe and Chimay both excellent shouts.

Try Adnams Broadside as it has a lovely flavour and is smooth as silk.
    Erdinger Dunkel is nice and refreshing on a hot day.
    Innis & Gunn and McEwans Champion from Scotland are also both excellent (although not session drinks as they are way too strong)

Reading this thread I really, really fancy a beer

17. WBA2_QPR3

WBA2_QPR3 Well-Known Member

I'm off to the pub now. Going off piste with a Blackberry & Elderflower Pimms jug.

Have a great evening all you long suffering Hoopsters

18. The other R in Houston

The other R in Houston Well-Known Member

I doubt if any makes it to England, but if anyone is in the US, and sees Dogfish Head's Midas Touch, look No further. It's, simply, a stunning beer. Made from a recipe they concocted after some clever bugger analyzed the contents of some pottery flasks in the tomb of King Midas, it's an unhopped beer. Not a beer with low amounts of hoppiness, there are no hops used in the brewing.

One of our regulars put it best, when he said (quite admiringly) that it just tastes like beer. There's no bollocks about it, no fancy herbs or spices, no chemical taste. It just tastes like beer.

It's one of three brews we have in tap whenever it's available, which is sadly not often enough.

19. Flyer

Flyer Well-Known Member

Are you going to change to supporting Fulham too? :shocked:

20. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Pimms is such a great summer beverage - too bad over here it is hard to find real lemonade versus Sprite, 7 Up etc.

On that subject, Rickard's brewery over here are being inventive with a Shandy brew.

Rickard's Shandy™
    This time-honoured beverage has been mouthwateringly crafted by combining Rickard’s premium lager with classic lemonade. With a taste as refreshing as a dive in the lake, and as lively as a patio party, it’s the perfect complement to your favourite summer moments. Pairs well with seasonal dishes like grilled salmon—just be sure to serve with great weather and even better friends.

Rickard’s Shandy at a glance:
    •Summer seasonal combining crisp lager with classic lemonade
    •Pairs well with anything hot off the summer grill, including seafood
    •Alc./vol: 4.5%
    •Available for summer only